Containers. *Warning contains Brexit*

Winseer:
The Cabinet “one-on-one” talks going on this morning…

Here’s the play TM might be making:

“Look guys and gals, you need to let this deal pass you so that mainstream Parliament can vote it down, like they all say they are going to do anyways. That way, and ONLY that way - can I force through a hard Brexit as a result of this deal being rejected by the vast majority of parliament at that stage, including yourselves for letting it reach the stage where “parliament gets their meaningful vote” - only possible if you wave it through NOW.”

Here’s the problem with this:

Libdems: 12 seats, 12 Remainers.
Labour: 262 seats, 249 Remainers.
Conservative: 318 seats, 160 Remainers.

This “cheqeurs deal” is nothing more than REMAIN with knobs on.

This so-called “We’re gonna reject it!” threat from wider parliament…

Guess what?

Once the Brexiteer about-to-be-fooled (maybe?) cabinet people wave it past them to the rest of Parliament to vote on…

421 Parliamentarians suddenly change their tune - and vote FOR the deal, including people like William Hague, who are chomping at the bit to get this passed onto the rest of the house of commons “for a meaningful vote”…

421 votes - is easily a majority vote for this REMAIN deal, and it will SHELVE any further attempts to kick-start Brexit before March 29th comes and goes - with “nothing happening”.
They will bite her hand off to pass this deal, and “cheqeurs” then detonates as the “overturning of Brexit” once and for all, never to be asked of the people again, and not even a general election called.

By then, it will be too late to save Brexit, and Theresa May has already decided that she’d rather serve the EU and Parliament and Herself rather than the People, the Conservative Party, and her Office.

I hope I’m wrong, but unless our Brexiteer heroes stand up and take one for the team one by one - I can’t see how May can survive another 48 hours in her job, if it all goes wrong for her, and her cabinet see right through it, and reject it out of hand so that Parliament does NOT get to overturn Brexit - ever. That would mean a Hard Brexit possibly as early as Christmas under a new Brexiteer PM of course.

Oh goody! The dream is still alive - but gasping for breath now… :open_mouth:

Where do you get the idea that the Conservatives as a Party aren’t totally committed to the EU Federal project.The Conservatives are the Party which took us into the EU helped by the cooperation of the rest of the Parties in the form of Lib/Lab.It’s also the Party which advised the electorate to vote yes and remain in both EU referenda.While the so called anti EU faction of the Cons have proven to be a no more if not less effective force than the anti EU side of the Labour rabble in that regard.So Cameron organises another sham referendum which has been deliberately drawn up as non binding on the government in the knowledge that the agenda will just be passed back to the cross party parliamentary remain alliance who have the final say in the event that it doesn’t go the remainers way.Which is why more than two years later we’re still tied to the EU’s strings with parliament having made clear that it has no intention of honouring the referendum result because that’s how it was drawn up from the start.

While notwithstanding all that it’s clear that the whole sham is just a diversion from the real issue being that if the Royal Perogative wasn’t for/supportive of the country’s membership of the EU then Heath never would have got away with handing over the country on a plate to it.

wing-nut:
May’s plan all along was to spend 2 years negotiating a deal, get a crap deal at the last moment which she knows ■■■■ well will never get through parliament and when it gets voted down she’ll say “well I did my best” and then give in to the 2nd referendum brigade, remain will win, article 50 will be revoked, we’ll stay in the EU and the arguments will go on for eternity

I said that to my MP about three months ago, they said I was wrong, I was right.

I said May has surrounded herself with the wrong people, again, and took the wrong advice, again.

I was wrong, she surrounded herself with her version of the right people and took the advice she wanted. She has lied to the country and she has lied to her party.

Today, Tony Blair: “I take my hat off to Olly Robbins, Olly is a very skilled guy, the elaborate camouflage of all the different points is a tribute to the skill of the British civil service, I say that sincerely.”

My membership of the Conservative party is 3 months and a few days old, entitling me to a vote. It’s cost me six quid, me joining would have my Father spinning in his grave but if I get one chance to get shot of May I’m going to use my vote to get her out or at least say, I tried.

I’m saying there are some companies, based outside the UK, who use the UK as their European hub. They choose to ship containers into the UK , when they could as easily ship them into…Rotterdam or LeHavre and have their hub on the continent. This is work for UK ports, container drivers, warehousing and export drivers. The export drivers may be sometimes EU drivers on backloads.
I don’t know how much of this work using the UK in this way there is. There is some and it seems to be at risk.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

GasGas:

Carryfast:
Let’s get this right there are numerous existing container ports on the European mainland but we’re supposed to believe that loads of boxes are landed in UK that are destined for Euroland.That trade will now supposedly be threatened with the loss of all the supposed cross channel container traffic.Meanwhile in the real world how many containers ever run between UK-Euro using ferries and why would any Euro container shipper export or import via UK whether we’re in the EU or not. :unamused:

It’s even less believable than the need for a hundred foot high wall and machine gun posts built across Ireland.

Can I suggest you read the OP again?

He’s saying the boxes are unstuffed in the UK and some of the contents is then shipped to the rest of the EU in normal trailers by British hauliers.

Brexit would be likely to reverse this process…ie the containers landed in the EU, and some of the contents shipped to the UK by foreign hauliers.

The question stands.Why would anyone with any sense ship a load of freight bound globally to/from Euroland via UK container ports.While transhipping the load between containers and trucks running UK-Euro in that case is obviously even dumber.Just like the idea of rebuilding the Berlin Wall across Ireland although it would be no surprise if Stasi Merkel dream’t up that idea.

While you can bet that the so called ‘Brit Hauliers’ would in reality be East Euro third country rate cutters even if it was true.While the scenario obviously conveniently misses the far more realistic situation of UK container haulage having to compete with East Euro cabotage under EU regs.

There was supposed to be a press conference at 5pm, then 7pm, both cancelled. Now there will be no press conference but the Prime Minister will make a statement outside Number 10, when the cabinet meeting finishes.

Scottish Tories have said the deal is a disgrace, the DUP won’t back it, backbenchers are livid and the Cabinet finally seem to have found where their backbone has been hiding.

And the letters are already going in to Graeme Brady . . . 48 needed!

Theresa May has just stated that the Cabinet have backed the Draft Brexit Agreement. Now whether it has been backed unanimously or not is another matter.

Franglais:
I’m saying there are some companies, based outside the UK, who use the UK as their European hub.

Yes and in the case of container freight they are also based outside the EU too which makes your scenario an oxymoron.

On that note if the freight is only landing in/transiting UK for onward fowarding why would it be subject to UK-EU customs issues at all ?.While assuming we’re talking about non EU - EU imports then what difference does UK not being within the EU make anyway when the freight is obviously already a non EU import subject to non EU import tarrifs and quotas etc and it will still be subject to non EU customs formalities regardless on arrival.So why the big issue of it being forwarded through just another non EU country.

So when’s the next general election ■■? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:

Putin is checking his diary, to see when he can arrange it for.

Franglais:

blue estate:

Putin is checking his diary, to see when he can arrange it for.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

It will be interesting to see if there are any Ministerial resignations tonight.

DUP leader Arlene Foster to meet Theresa May tonight. Love to be a fly on the wall.

Stanley Knife:
Theresa May has just stated that the Cabinet have backed the Draft Brexit Agreement. Now whether it has been backed unanimously or not is another matter.

If she needed unanimous backing she obviously would have said that the cabinet haven’t backed it.We all knew where this was going as soon as Cameron handed over the leadership to May and Hammond.Anything else was a mixture of wishful thinking and the delusion that a non binding referendum and the equally unenforcable and therefore not worth the paper they were written on promises that the Leave campaign was based on,was ever going to be deliverable outside of a UKIP majority in parliament.Instead of which Farage’s naivety has destroyed our only realistic hope of holding onto UKIP’s MEP’s and joining the AfD and FN etc in going for a Confederal Europe.So Cameron’s plan has worked and we now see it for what it is.The EU wanted to get rid of its troublesome UKIP European parliamentary prescence and have no more dissent from the Brits within and May has delivered exactly that.Still shackled to the EU as before but now with no way of opposing it at all.All done using a diversionary propaganda campaign,that makes membership of the single market,which actually means Brit jobs for EU workers and its regulations,a sacred cow being supposedly good for us,that the masses have swallowed hook line and sinker.

GasGas:
Indeed…now we are out of the EU we will have no veto on cabotage within the EU…and the eastern nations in the EU may well demand that the UK opens its borders to their trucks in return to the UK having continued access to the single market for its financial services

But you also know that if we were really ‘out of the EU’ we wouldn’t need to use a VETO at all at all because it obviously gives us the same opt out as being in a Confederal Europe with the right to say no would.In which case they could demand whatever they want but they won’t get it.Because in either case with national sovereignty being supreme we don’t have to submit to their demands.

Let’s call it what it is Federalist remainers having hijacked the Brexit process to keep us shackled to the EU Federation but now just in a way that removes any of the useless ineffective opposition to commissioner dictat and foreign majority vote that we had in the form of UKIP MEP’s.Which was obviously Cameron’s and Juncker’s plan from the start.

Stanley Knife:
It will be interesting to see if there are any Ministerial resignations tonight.

DUP leader Arlene Foster to meet Theresa May tonight. Love to be a fly on the wall.

‘Ministerial resignations’ aren’t the same thing as what was needed in the form of Davis crossing the floor to UKIP and triggering a by election campaign on the basis of the Cons selling out Brexit in a solid Leave constituency.As for DUP wasn’t ‘soft’ ( no ) Brexit a condition of DUP support after May’s needless election stunt,thereby throwing away her majority,as part of her remain in all but name and then some plan.

Stanley Knife:

48 letters won’t be a problem, it’s the 158 votes needed to win a no confidence motion that will be difficult.

GasGas:
for instance there is free movement of labour in the EU

Wrong, and that’s the whole point, there is not free movement of labour in the UK transport industry, this is why Waberers and Willi Betz cannot take over every contract which Stobart has.

It is the stated aim of the eu to ultimately remove cabotage restrictions, only pressure from trades unions and the road transport lobby in France, Holland and Belgium has prevented this happening yet, but if it ever did happen, nobody would pay you or me £2000 a month to run loads from Northampton to Southampton when Bogdan will do it for £500 a month.

wing-nut:

Stanley Knife:

48 letters won’t be a problem, it’s the 158 votes needed to win a no confidence motion that will be difficult.

Indeed. Every Tory Brexteer + the Labour Brexiteers - is going to be a close thing.

I suspect that the “meaningful vote” parliament wanted - is almost upon them.

May’s deal.

Surely the Remainers will now wave it through, rather than vote it down like we’ve been led to believe?

It stops Brexit in it’s tracks, and March 29th 2019 - will not happen if this so-called “deal” gets signed off by the Parliamentary Remainers, which total over 75% of the House of Commons…

Perhaps the 1922 committee can now act in the nick of time, and STOP this damned Cheqeurs deal from ever reaching Parliament for that “meaningful vote” which will stitch us all up - make no mistake.

Even Labour supporters - will see support for Corbyn crushed - if Corbyn lets them get away with voting for this deal, which they probably WILL do - just to defy him as much as anything else.

May needs to be gone in 48 hours, as the betting markets have suggested.

The pound has gained against the Euro recently, and the price of oil is down 20% in the past fortnight.
This means that the UK economy is already set to go from strength to strength - despite Brexit not even having happened yet!

Harry Monk:

GasGas:
for instance there is free movement of labour in the EU

Wrong, and that’s the whole point, there is not free movement of labour in the UK transport industry, this is why Waberers and Willi Betz cannot take over every contract which Stobart has.

It is the stated aim of the eu to ultimately remove cabotage restrictions, only pressure from trades unions and the road transport lobby in France, Holland and Belgium has prevented this happening yet, but if it ever did happen, nobody would pay you or me £2000 a month to run loads from Northampton to Southampton when Bogdan will do it for £500 a month.

There’s no freedom of movement for UK truckers wanting a job in say, Holland either - is there?

Working in Britain - seems to be a one-way-street INTO the UK, but what blue collar jobs are available to ex-pats?

I know Brits who have worked or are working as truck drivers for foreign-national companies in Spain, Holland and France. In the 1970s and 80s I knew Brits working on building sites in Germany and for fencing contractors in the Netherlands.

The barrier to Brits taking blue-collar jobs abroad is languages…like me, most Brits only speak a few words of languages other than English.

Ironically, the more senior the job you take in Europe, the more likely you are to be able to get away with only speaking English. English being the ‘company language’ in Volvo Group for instance.

May summed it up on the news this morning, her deal…no deal…or no brexit. Sounds like her way of saying that brexit is stoppable and all the remainers will latch onto that and keep pushing and pushing till they get what they’ve wanted all along.
Don’t forget that May herself was/ is a remainer, so how the hell can you have a remainer in charge?