Coal and Coke hauliers

An awful picture, but here is a 1958 LAD cab Dodge powered by AEC 470 chinese 6.
Purchased new by Doug Punchard Snr (my Grandad).
It finished up on its side in Derby as they used to fill the bodies full of coal regardless of weight.

Great pics guys, very interesting!

dectez:

Is that in Hull mate? Sure I recognise it…

yes it king george dock where the weighbrige tips you. av got another picture with it tipped up

Some familiar lorries there but I can’t recall that MAN of Walkers, maybe they didn’t run it for long? Mountains had MAN’s as well, I often followed Norman Roper loaded with coal going very steadily down Lime Tree Hill in Matlock! A shame that most of those firms are no more.

Pete.

In the last pic it looks to me like an ian shimwell man!
some cracking pics got any more?

Moose:

Yes I thought that, but cant place the location?

Pete.

dectez:
yes it king george dock where the weighbrige tips you. av got another picture with it tipped up

Cheers for that, good pic! I only went there once, about 10 years or so ago with Barley out of Saddlebow at Kings Lynn, but I knew I recognised it!

Did a few loads out of Cwm Coke in Beddau to British Sugar at Bury St. Eds a few years earlier, which seems to be long closed now looking at this video youtu.be/TyKs9ug2Hg4
Also used to be in Dawmills fairly regularly back to a guy in Norwich, and the imported stuff from the east coast docks to power stations and beet factories, although unfortunately no photos I’m afraid :frowning:

windrush:

Moose:

Yes I thought that, but cant place the location?

Pete.

There is a Heanor Haulage Atkinson going across the top. When you put your mouse arrow on the picture it says A H & J M Doxey, must be one of their MANs.

Of course, the Late Alan from Bonsall. His lad Tony still runs a MAN from Slinter mining, used to do a bit for them myself when things were desperate!

Pete.

windrush:
Of course, the Late Alan from Bonsall. His lad Tony still runs a MAN from Slinter mining, used to do a bit for them myself when things were desperate!

Pete.

Best air horn I’ve heard on that MAN of Tony’s

Not being a tipper chap, I’m not sure what they carried with this, but at least it was from the right general area?

“Rear-Steer”, love it! Anything behind the first axle = rear-steer! Also, View-line cab for ‘very good visibility front and rear for articulated work’. We’ve gone from that, to a windscreen and a window each side in the late 80’s, to a windscreen, a window each side and dozens of mirrors. Back to all-round glass by 2020 I reckon :wink:

Kiwi were definately coal and coke hauliers, they used to sub through Alf Fletcher & Co Ltd, there a few photos on the link below.

commercialmotor.com/big-lorr … LCBXeRg-HM

One of the best known coal & coke hauliers.

what about sts or ivor streets from swadlincote?

Roger Breaker:
“Rear-Steer”, love it! Anything behind the first axle = rear-steer! Also, View-line cab for ‘very good visibility front and rear for articulated work’. We’ve gone from that, to a windscreen and a window each side in the late 80’s, to a windscreen, a window each side and dozens of mirrors. Back to all-round glass by 2020 I reckon :wink:

And it pre-dated the Magnum by a quarter of a century!