chinese six

Anybody know this one’s history ?

I re-call that in 1966 Brady’s of Barrow had 6 AEC Mammouth Minors(The Big’un always ordered in sixes!) on order but their only Ergo 4x2 Mandator gave so much trouble they cancelled the MM’s,they eventually ordered 6 Atki rear steers with the Gardner 180 engine.Cheers Bewick.

They were absolutely hopeless trying to get up even a small incline when solo and with all true twin steer tractors the drivers had to be on the ball when empty and in the wet, probably why when they came out second time around for the 38 tonne limit the rear steer and lift axle were prefered, not many chinese six tractors like the Bedford TM shown above were seen then, I bet that TM driver tried to keep as much weight as he could on that back axle!

suffolk gold:
Went to Brands Hatch in mid 80’s saw a Mercedes Benz chinese 6 artic racing, was touquise colour driven by a German , Hinz someone I believe, semi auto box ,went like hell.

Don’t know how he kept it on the road .the ones I drove had no grip even with tanker trailer behind when it was the slightest bit wet.
Ron AMOCO driver

Lawrence Dunbar:

Cracking shot of the new Mustang Larry,how would you fancy your chance behind the wheel of that beauty? Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Cracking shot of the new Mustang Larry,how would you fancy your chance behind the wheel of that beauty? Cheers Dennis.

No problem there Dennis, King of the Road in those good old days, Regards Larry.

TROOPER 8011:
Anybody know this one’s history ?

pity the AEC is on a Q plate…here goes Malcom Harrison had VVT 703G
there was an AEC like this in cypres it belonged to a chap called Lucas…he wanted £750 for it about 9 years ago
all it wanted was a drivers door

Kevin Dennis used to collect older trucks, had quite a collection some years back don’t know if he still does or not.

H143500:
Kevin Dennis used to collect older trucks, had quite a collection some years back don’t know if he still does or not.

He had a Leyland Roadtrain at Towcester Gathering a couple of year ago Regards Larry.

My Motor

What a lovely motor.

oxo3:
My Motor

Very smart, I like the extra large sleeper too, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

oxo3:
My Motor

Very smart, I like the extra large sleeper too, Regards Larry.

Does it look like it has a Kirkstall BDR axle Larry ? I wonder what box it had ? 6spd ZF mebe ? Cheers Dennis.

New as crew cab, Kirkstall drive axle & David Brown box, I have taken off road at the moment and being fully restored.

oxo3:
New as crew cab, Kirkstall drive axle & David Brown box, I have taken off road at the moment and being fully restored.

Thanks for the “gen” “oxo” and all the best with your endeavors ! Cheers Bewick.

Looks like an Oliver Hart special, they were well known for building some very interesting trucks in their day :wink:
download/file.php?id=143019&mode=view
download/file.php?id=143019&t=1

This picture belongs to Terry(tex99).
On looking through Terry(tex99) flickr page,which by the way is full of amazing photo’s,I came across this D’series Chinese 6.Can’t remember seeing many of these running up and down.While there I was saddened to see the pictures of Holt Lane Tspt’s vehicles left abandonded and in a very sorry state,hope some were saved to run again.
Apologises to Terry for borrowing the picture but thought it was worth seeing.
regards
Chris

Alan Hindle used to operate a couple of these

i noticed on the enlargement that there are no brake drums on the second steer . i had an s21 foden twin steer , originally a long wheelbase 4 wheeler with the second steer added . that had no brakes on the second steer . it was altered to carry 10 ton loads so it probably grossed around 15 or 16 tons and 4 wheel brakes were quite adequate . cheers , dave