Chinese six configuration

Hi all!

I have and I been still reading this eminent forum and sometimes I use to write a message. ERF, Atkinsson, Foden, Scammell, Leyland, Ford, Bedford, GUY yes you name it. They were in my eyes great Lorries with good quality and

Yesterday you could get a Lorry with 2, 3 or 4 axles such 1 + 2, 2 + 2 or 2+1 configuration. I think when any of you bought a Volvo it come as 1+1 or 1+2 configuration. Then a English maker mounted the second front axle and as I can see it was well done? Seeing old Lorries I have noticed there is Chinese six arrangements with one drive axle.
Both Volvo and Scania didn’t have this arrangement. Why? Two axles in front and no boogie as drive axle was that not so good. I think such Lorry could carry at least 13 ton or am I wrong.
Today no of all lorry makers don’t develop such lorry. Is there regulations as prevent such type of lorry.

Regards
FH13 :slight_smile:

Chinese six as I remember them.

The reason the Chinese Six arrangement was popular had to do with the old system of Carriers Licences which was based on the unladen wight of the Lorry, roughly as an example, an 8 wheeler would Tare (unladen weight) at approx 8t and a Chinese Six at approx 6t so that if your Licence only had 6t left on it you could still run a Chinese Six, the weights quoted are only a very rough figure as companies would go to a number of tricks to reduce the unladen weight for the trip to the weigh bridge for licencing purposes for example one company I worked for, Inter - City used to fit to 8 wheelers a Balsa wood body without any floor boards covered by a fly sheet and no spare wheel carried and then once weighed they would then fit a proper body, a spare wheel etc…Tony.

Hiya…a main reason that a twin steer (chineese 6) idea came about was many years back
before pallets was used the load would be on the headboard. now some drivers would pile up
the load and run out of load before they used all the deck (thick drivers) so a twinsteer could
load a large amount on the front without overloading the front axle.(2 of them)
the supermarkets use 3 axle units and two axle trailers for the same reason. they load from
the headboard so its not likely to get to much weight on the drive axle.
ERF was the first lorry maker to use the twin steer.
I think by the time Volvo and the other foreign makers arrived in the uk the pallet system
was here and it was easy to place the weight better.
Leyland in later years placed the diesel tanks at the rear of the chassis to move weight away
from the front axle on 4 wheelers
John

Chinese sixes still favoured by hay & straw dealers/hauliers with an over-cab extension.

Was they not popular in Italy too at one time. Sure I remember reading they were because if you had a blowout coming down a mountain pass having two steer axles seemed safer.

Dave the Renegade:

Chinese six as I remember them.

Dave the Renegade, thanks for this beautifully photo of a real Chinese six. The lorry locks so good and I think is it is restored from the ground?
How was it when one of you in this forum were driving it? No power steering and how was the spring system? Was it hard and did the driver bounce around?

Regards FH13 :slight_smile:

kr79:
Was they not popular in Italy too at one time. Sure I remember reading they were because if you had a blowout coming down a mountain pass having two steer axles seemed safer.

Yes both Fiat and Mercedes (LP333) were made as Chinese six types and I have read they carry more than their cousins in Britain but I cant say that for sure. We have a veteran in Sweden as is mad as a tanker (petrol) and is coupled to a two axle trailer. The tank seems as large as a three axle lorry use.
I remember a Fiat going down at my childhood home carrying pulpwood and the load was almost as heavy as on my fathers tree axle Volvo Titan and this lorry was allowed load 11.780 kg as maximum load. The Titan was a 1954 years model and the Fiat was of similar year model I guess.

Regards
FH13

I have seen a few ERF steers but nothing as new as this DAF

Chinese six. An earlier era. Picture taken by Roger Kenney

Evening all, my only real experience of a Chinese six would be about 72/73ish. The family were coming away from road haulage, and for my own part I had been selling new Atkinsons, and used whatever I could get my hands on for a few years. However some nights, and most weekends I would drive whatever was needed to help out, keep my hand in, and of course earn a shilling!

The fleet was much reduced, but a newish J reg S39 Chinese six, Gardner 180, 12speed air split, worm drive had been acquired. Now this delectable bit of kit lacked only one modern refinement…she had no power steering.

Normal driving, as most Fodens she was a dream, easy to place, sure footed. But to manover…an absolute pig…no, more like like removing Excalibur from its rock, when you tried to get into tight places, (and were`nt all delivery points designed for the original horse and cart era back in the 60s and 70s)!

I can well remember, one July afternoon, just about 5ish, when everyone was hell bent on getting home, trying, and trying again, and again, and again, to thread without damage to our rather nice spread axle York Freightmaster van, or the Victorian brickwork of our customers entrance in sunny, (and very warm), downtown Birmingham. While holding back the hoards of (increasingly irritable), Stratford Road commuters!

Armstrong steering … hardly an apt description for the leaden steering wheel that was simply immobile at less than a good 3mph!! And those of you who know about such things know that that is a very high velocity to try to chase a trailer into a Victorian Workplace!

It still, the memory of it, even on this snowy evening, makes me sweat, but such are memories…Wonder if they employed Charles Atlas to test their specifications at Fodens■■?

Gosh Ive worked up a thirst, Im away to the Bollinger , Cheerio for now.

Chinese six

I posted this Photo a while back on another thread, lots of speculation about its history but no clear information on who ran these Atkis

Sniffy:
I posted this Photo a while back on another thread, lots of speculation about its history but no clear information on who ran these Atkis

I think that ICI Wilton ran this type of wagon with their heavy gauge tanks in the late 60s early 70s and I am sure they ran AECs of the same configuration as I seem to recall it was when you needed 5 axles at 32 tons and axle spread regulations came into the specification but it was well over 40 years ago
cheers Johnnie

Why do they call it Chinese six ? Any reason behide it

I have noticed when there not were power steering the steering wheel had a large diameter for the driver to grip and steer it. It was necessary I understand. Try steer with today small steering wheel without power help is should be hard.

Truckfing, the Leyland DAF has a heavy crane so it is perfect with four wheel as carry the crane. We are used see a 4-wheeler with crane and bed so they can take a stall or shed and carry it self. But I agree I have never seen such arrangement in Sweden or on Internet on other makes than the British one.

Regards
FH13

Legend_Scania:
Why do they call it Chinese six ? Any reason behide it[/quote

Hiya have you ever used a Chinese wood saw■■? you pull to cut not push.
the Chinese write from right to left… sort of a…e about Face, well that’s where the
name comes from the lorries looked odd/ back to front/a…e about Face…Chinese like.
that’s not been raciest its just the way things was. sort of back to front.
John

3300John:

Legend_Scania:
Why do they call it Chinese six ? Any reason behide it
[/quote

Hiya have you ever used a Chinese wood saw■■? you pull to cut not push.
the Chinese write from right to left… sort of a…e about Face, well that’s where the
name comes from the lorries looked odd/ back to front/a…e about Face…Chinese like.
that’s not been raciest its just the way things was. sort of back to front.
John

Hi John

Ahhh I see now when you explain it you can see when you look at the truck they looks odd

Hi, Folks , We ran a B M C ,5 ,7 , 5 speed box eaton 2 speed axle ,twin steer tipper ,reg no ,5054 D F ,pay load 15 ton ,bloody hard work driving it ,the heat in the cab ,was unbearable ,heater off stripped to waste ,Brakes ok going forward ,but in reverse another storey ,also had an ex Pickfords 8 wheeler cut down to a chinese 6 unit ,Gardener 150 ,d/brown 6 speed box ,rag 570 eyo ,another hard work lorry with 20 ton on ,they say the good old days ,? Idont no but it learnt me alot ,just a bit of usless info ,Barry

OK, I get the weight thing with trucks, but what was the point of a chinese 6 coach chassis such as the Bedford VAL?