Check and Use Your Trailer Brake

adam277:
The brakes come on as soon as the air line is taken off with tuffnells trailers.

I’ve seen plenty of drivers manually guide the a-frame into the vgb coupling via connecting the red airline and taking the trailer brake off and letting gravity do the rest.
I cant be certain but I highly suspect it was driver at fault.

Exactly my point Adam, fining a company £1.5 million for driver error is a bit dramatic.

I have driven drawbars and it was common practice to release the brakes to ensure the pin had dropped fully.

When coupling Up I used a glove near the front wheel as a marker to get closer,

UPS use same type of W&D as tuffnells , a full weeks training before you allowed out on road , trailers are chocked when standing & hitching up to different way to training is a sackable offence .
Allowing a trailer to roll into place is ludicrous practice . Tuffnells deserve to be hammered .

toonsy:
We’ve got a mixed bag. Some as soon as the red line is off the brakes snap on, others as long as air is retained the brakes will stay off until the switch is pulled.

Perhaps the former shoukd be mandatory? Or perhaps it is but only on newer trailers etc?

We have trailers from 1999 that came with automatic park brakes.

the maoster:
Are we really at the stage where everyone doing whatever their job is needs to be spoon fed instructions on exactly how to do their job?

That’s exactly how it is nowadays mate unfortunately.
I often laugh when I hear ‘‘Can’t do that, had no training’’. :smiley:
It’s the exact opposite end of the spectrum now to when we started when as a yong lad you were given keys to a motor with a strange gearbox and a flat trailer with 3 sheets rolled up, and sent to load sheet and rope up the thing in a ‘‘Just get on with it’’ scenario.
It’s a good thing that things have changed in that respect but it’s got to the point where many drivers need to be told when to breathe in and out ffs, …initiative to them, is just a word that they can’t spell.

As for this case…I don’t know the full circumstances, and it’s a tragedy that this lad has lost his life, but it proves that all this modern micromanagement b/s does not always work, and that accidents will always happen whatever.

I drove an a frame for tuffnells, I’d never drove an a frame before, in fact I’d never drove a w&d before. Training consisted of “it’s easy, you do this this and this” good luck young skywalker!

Basically you figure it out for yourself. I ended up ringing my hgv instructor up (Hughes driver training) who was only too happy to help.

robroy:

the maoster:
Are we really at the stage where everyone doing whatever their job is needs to be spoon fed instructions on exactly how to do their job?

It’s the exact opposite end of the spectrum now to when we started when as a yong lad you were given keys to a motor with a strange gearbox and a flat trailer with 3 sheets rolled up, and sent to load sheet and rope up the thing in a ‘‘Just get on with it’’ scenario.
It’s a good thing that things have changed in that respect but it’s got to the point where many drivers need to be told when to breathe in and out ffs, …initiative to them, is just a word that they can’t spell.

As for this case…I don’t know the full circumstances, and it’s a tragedy that this lad has lost his life, but it proves that all this modern micromanagement b/s does not always work, and that accidents will always happen whatever.

Another cringeworthy rant. I think you’ll find most places now have a safe system of work for each bit of equipment. Deviate from it and it’s a disciplinary.

So ‘can’t do that, not trained’ is a perfectly reasonable response from a driver.

When is it you retire pal? :unamused:

SuperMultiBlue:

robroy:

the maoster:

Another cringeworthy rant. I think you’ll find most places now have a safe system of work for each bit of equipment. Deviate from it and it’s a disciplinary.

So ‘can’t do that, not trained’ is a perfectly reasonable response from a driver.

Thanks for reminding me to clarify things for those that are a bit thick…pal. :wink: …you caught me out there.
It wasn’t a rant, I was merely pointing out how things have changed from one extreme to the other, to maybe a bit too far, and despite that tragic accidents still happen.

Next time instead of your usual predictable (non content) crticism/sound bite comments, of everything everybody posts, try actually reading and digesting them before you jump. :bulb:

Oh yeh, maybe about 10 years, if you’re really interested that is. :neutral_face:

jbaz73:
I drove an a frame for tuffnells, I’d never drove an a frame before, in fact I’d never drove a w&d before. Training consisted of “it’s easy, you do this this and this” good luck young skywalker!

Basically you figure it out for yourself. I ended up ringing my hgv instructor up (Hughes driver training) who was only too happy to help.

I’m the same mate, never done a w&d, (never wanted to tbh)
As for an ‘A’ frame that must be an entirely different ball game to an artic, I’ve always admired those guys when I see them reversing in a tight space.
There used to be a German outfit with them, they used to load at a carpet wharehouse in Lux when I was on Brits, it was tight arsed enough with an artic, but these guys had it down to a fine art.

Nobody has mentioned the driver or his family but too quick to call him an idiot We all make mistakes when rushing and under pressure no ones perfect. Leighton was one of the nicest blokes you wuld ever meet and left behind a loving family. RIP mate a pleasure to have worked with you over the years!

jpalbion:
Nobody has mentioned the driver or his family but too quick to call him an idiot We all make mistakes when rushing and under pressure no ones perfect. Leighton was one of the nicest blokes you wuld ever meet and left behind a loving family. RIP mate a pleasure to have worked with you over the years!

Roy too busy slapping himself on the back for crackin on back in the day :unamused: snooze

jpalbion:

Tbf mate, I can’t see where anybody actually said he was an idiot, on the contrary in fact, I reckon everybody on here will be sympathetic, as it could have been any one of us in that situation, and it makes you think.
Like I said accidents will always happen no matter what steps are taken towards prevention, or how cautious you are.

It appears you know this lad and his family, I reckon I can speak for all on here as fellow drivers in sending them all condolences.

robroy:

jpalbion:

Tbf mate, I can’t see where anybody actually said he was an idiot, on the contrary in fact, I reckon everybody on here will be sympathetic, as it could have been any one of us in that situation, and it makes you think.
Like I said accidents will always happen no matter what steps are taken towards prevention, or how cautious you are.

It appears you know this lad and his family, I reckon I can speak for all on here as fellow drivers in sending them all condolences.

You don’t speak for me Roy.

This guy :laughing:

SuperMultiBlue:

robroy:

jpalbion:

:open_mouth:
Why don’t you grow the ■■■■ up ffs man, the subject matter is a bit delicate for your tactless and inane childishness.
I would have thought even you would be intelligent enough to see that. :unamused:

robroy:

SuperMultiBlue:

robroy:

jpalbion:

:open_mouth:
Why don’t you grow the [zb] up ffs man, the subject matter is a bit delicate for your tactless and inane childishness.
I would have thought even you would be intelligent enough to see that. :unamused:

Too delicate to deride a drive who wants training on a piece of equipment just because it wasn’t done in your day. Sling it you ■■■

Ok then.
On that note…Let’s just leave it there then eh? :bulb:

I’d love to have an intellectual and intelligent discussion with you on the subject of driver training, but you would be at a serious disadvantage on that score on quite a few levels.
Apart from that…I couldn’t be arsed. :neutral_face:
See ya.

robroy:
Ok then.
On that note…Let’s just leave it there then eh? :bulb:

I’d love to have an intellectual and intelligent discussion with you on the subject of driver training, but you would be at a serious disadvantage on that score on quite a few levels.
Apart from that…I couldn’t be arsed. :neutral_face:
See ya.

It’s because I posted in the passed 1st time thread isn’t it. Yes Roy, there are better drivers than you out there ¯_(ツ)_/¯

adam277:
The brakes come on as soon as the air line is taken off with tuffnells trailers.

I’ve seen plenty of drivers manually guide the a-frame into the vgb coupling via connecting the red airline and taking the trailer brake off and letting gravity do the rest.

Jesus wept, is this for real?
People actually release the brakes and ‘‘aim’’ the bloody coupling in whilst gravity does its thing :open_mouth: well i’ve heard it all now.

robroy:

SuperMultiBlue:

robroy:

the maoster:

Thanks for reminding me to clarify things for those that are a bit thick…pal. :wink: …you caught me out there.
It wasn’t a rant, I was merely pointing out how things have changed from one extreme to the other, to maybe a bit too far, and despite that tragic accidents still happen.

Next time instead of your usual predictable (non content) crticism/sound bite comments, of everything everybody posts, try actually reading and digesting them before you jump. :bulb:

Oh yeh, maybe about 10 years, if you’re really interested that is. :neutral_face:

December 14, 2028 for me… unless I sacrifice a few quid and go early, who knows?

the maoster:
Once again a Co get hammered because of an employees incompetence. If he/she had done their job correctly in the first place then this would be a non issue.

The site should be inherently safe, and trailers shouldn’t be parked on inclines if the site is dedicated and routinely used for coupling. A single procedural mistake or oversight should not pose a risk of injury or death.

Such swingeing penalties is the only way bosses learn to make things inherently safe, rather than relying (as they always seek to) on a single person following a procedure with 100% reliability (and often increasingly terroristic disciplinary practices).

After all, it’s not that hard for bosses to lay concrete on the level, is it?

Juddian:

adam277:

Jesus wept, is this for real?
People actually release the brakes and ‘‘aim’’ the bloody coupling in whilst gravity does its thing :open_mouth: well i’ve heard it all now.

Same thoughts here , cutting corners for what