mavis rails

Im not sure if i should wait to get some pics of the ones we have at work before i post this. However i have an assesment on monday now and still havent managed to get an answer outof the office if we are allowed to split couple or not when i asked in the office all i could get out of one person was that the site rules were on the sign by the gate ( a generic sign saying hgv’s/forklifts manovering no smoking etc).

At the moment the most i can get the mavis rail to move is about 6-12" left to right but i have been told that you can slide the thing right out so it is sticking out the trailer side almost or indeed right out and swing it down so it is vertical is this true and if so how do i do it.

There are different variations on the theme from different manufacturers. Some have a very simple movable catch at one end that restricts movement, some have more elaborate arrangements with handles on levers that have to be pulled or pushed in a specific sequence. Some use a variation on the fifth wheel dog clip to lock or limit movement, while others have no such device and the carriage simply slides freely from one side to the other.

If the sliding rails get bent or damaged it can restrict free movement or even stop it altogether.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Depends on the type. The bit you’re on about which moves is the sliding suzies and that’s the movement the trailer leads will use around bends etc.

But the whole lot will slide out and come clear of the trailer, normally on the nearside. The principal will be something like pull the leads as close to the near side as you can and there’ll be a locking pin to stop it sliding back. Then there’ll normally be some form of dog clip, unlock that. Then there’ll be a lever or handle that you lift and then then whole assembly will slide out as you pull it towards you.

To put it back reverse the steps, make sure the rail is locked into place, the dog clip is fitted again and undo the pin that’s stopping the suzies from sliding.

They are such a good invention and should be fitted across the board in my opinion. If there’s a driver trainer, or even another driver in the yard, ask them to show you.

To be fair Toonsy you are describing one particular type of rail. There are loads of different types and not all of them work like that.

Can’t you just ask someone else in the yard if it slides out? There are some types that don’t come out at all but just move side to side.
Other types you just undo a dog clip, twist a knob & push a handle to release it & it slides out ( auto puts trailer brake on as well).

As for the driving assessment just ask the person assessing you. If the Mavis rail doesn’t pop out you would have to split couple anyway.

Roymondo:
To be fair Toonsy you are describing one particular type of rail. There are loads of different types and not all of them work like that.

Yes I did say also it ‘depends on the type’ right at the very start then also suggested he ask someone at his place as the very last thing.

The principal of it all will be the same though, it’s just how it mechanically operates that will differ.

toonsy:

Roymondo:

Yes I did say also it ‘depends on the type’ right at the very start then also suggested he ask someone at his place as the very last thing.

The principal of it all will be the same though, it’s just how it mechanically operates that will differ.

It was the assertion that "the whole lot will slide out" and the list of things that "there'll be" or "there'll normally be" (none of which featured on the original Montracon Articulated Vehicle Interconnection System that gave rise to the Mavis Rail label) that I was commenting on. The majority of what are now normally referred to as "Mavis Rails" have no sliding out bits, no locking mechanisms and no special procedures for drivers to follow - they (as the original MAVIS rail was) are simply a sliding carriage with flexible connections for airlines and electrics which can be slid to either side of the trailer to facilitate coupling/uncoupling at ground level without climbing on the catwalk

Yeah but in his OP he did say ‘slide right out so it’s sticking out’ so thought it a good guess that he’d mean the ground access rail, which will have a lock of some description as a failsafe to stop it from sliding out during travel

Whatever they are and whatever they’re called I love them :laughing:

So you have an assessment at work,
I’m assuming you’ve been here a while, and nobody has shown you how to use a Mavis rail…

Ask the Muppet who wears the “Driver trainer” hi-viz…

Lose some weight then you will not need to split couple.

No doubt people will call me out for this but its the truth. I’ve yet to split couple and I’ve been driving a fair bit with a ton of different trailers.

Split coupling is generally banned in most yards so don’t do it

adam277:
Lose some weight then you will not need to split couple.

No doubt people will call me out for this but its the truth. I’ve yet to split couple and I’ve been driving a fair bit with a ton of different trailers.

umm im 5’6" and just over 9 stone dont think i qualify as needing to loose weight. The gap between the fridge and the back of the cab is about the length of my forearm