split coupling

Can someone clarifiy for me what this is was reading another thread on pro drivers and they refer to split coupling ? Am I right in thinking that you engage pin then angle unit so you have enough room to get behind to attatch suzies , just first time heard this and wondered what it was ■■?

jx

No you back halfway under, connect airlines then back in to engage pin. Seen by some as a very dangerous practise as if the trailer brake is not on there is nothing to stop the trailer sliding towards you and pinning you against the back of the cab. It’s only dangerous if not done properly though like most things

No, I do it as there is little room between my cab and trailer. First job make sure trailer hand brake is on then back under but stop before hitting pin leaving plenty of room to connect suzzies. Then finish backing under till pin locks as normal. I repeat MAKE SURE TRAILER HAND BRAKE IS ON FIRST.

Bugger Luke beat me

Also lower the fifth wheel so it is not in contact with the trailer before you do it, belt and braces sort of thing.

personally, i find it to dangerous to do it i can do it but prefer to connect up at an angle space permitting … as stated it is safe to do provided the trailer brake is on but I get so paranoid doing it!

hi jen - ive found i have had to do this when pulling fridge trailers as the gap is very little between unit and trailer, but yes i have heard horry stories of drivers getting crushed in-between but sure the veteran drivers will confirm this has probably only happended odd time and probably due to some other mistake like no hadn brake or on a upward slope. good luck

Harry Monk:
Also lower the fifth wheel so it is not in contact with the trailer before you do it, belt and braces sort of thing.

can you explain this please.i thought it was best to take the weight of the trailer,but stop just short of the pin.if it did move forward,it would stop as it connected to the fifth wheel :confused:

commonrail:
can you explain this please.i thought it was best to take the weight of the trailer,but stop just short of the pin.if it did move forward,it would stop as it connected to the fifth wheel :confused:

The trailer would be extremely unlikely to move if its weight was still supported by its landing legs.

ahh…yes…i see

switchlogic:
No you back halfway under, connect airlines then back in to engage pin. Seen by some as a very dangerous practise as if the trailer brake is not on there is nothing to stop the trailer sliding towards you and pinning you against the back of the cab. It’s only dangerous if not done properly though like most things

A little video from someone would be so helpful, dontcha fink? :slight_smile:

44 Tonne Ton:

switchlogic:

Being a thin man I’ve never needed to split couple :wink:

switchlogic:

44 Tonne Ton:

switchlogic:

Liar,liar pants on fire! I’ve seen what you eat! :grimacing:

Thanks guys just wondered what you were on about when talking about split coupling and if ever have to do it will double check parking brk I promise

cheers

jen x

It’s mostly fridges that you have to do it on.

Maybe one day all fridges will have them slide or foldout cuppling but until that day split cuppling or if there is any air left in the trailer shunt it around and do it. Btw few years ago I had to pull 45’ containers there fun trying to do when you have to cupple them up

I got taught to:

• Check parking brake is on and shunt valve closed.
  • Drop suspension and back under.
  • Stop short of pin and lift trailer on suspension.
  • Connect susies (trailer nose is now pointing upwards, so if for any reason it moves, its gonna move away from you)
  • Back onto pin
  • Clip in
  • Tug test
  • Plate on and lights check.

But only on fridges and skellies…

44 Tonne Ton:

switchlogic:

44 Tonne Ton:

switchlogic:

Liar,liar pants on fire! I’ve seen what you eat! :grimacing:

But not me obviously :wink:

Jennie:
Thanks guys just wondered what you were on about when talking about split coupling and if ever have to do it will double check parking brk I promise

You may have already seen it but there’s an ongoing thread titled "Grease is the word. about split coupling here

You’d never guess it was about split coupling from the title “Grease is the word” but it is :confused:

Just looked at the thread grease is the word thanks tachograph so you can hook up by putting bend in unit and trailer as well , i was just wondering what split coupling meant as reading the post got the gist but wanted to be sure , thanks everyone for your input , guess if dont wanna do this looks like will have to attend a weight watchers meeting :wink: lol

cheers

jenx