Bridges Transport Preston

i can remember there Albion claymores on parcels didnt they have under floor motors . thank you trevor

ardennes:
hello was a drivers mate at bridges, yes a drivers mate on parcels, times have changed. we did liverpool city centre in 1963.became a driver later.

Some drivers I remember on L/POOL in the 60s
Johnny (The Bishop)Beauchamp
Ronnie Foster, 2nd mate then driver
Kevin Murphy, 2nd mate then driver (R.I.P)
Mick Broadbent ^
Ken Blanchard ^
Jimmy Broadbent ^
Harry Gill ^
Colin Serath (sp)
Bert Riley, in charge of L/pool depot.

Blimey I thought I had a bad memory. Apologies to any I missed.

bulldozer:
Hi

Still know drivers name due to accident on the A59.

Would that one be the one that went through the bridge at Penwortham,
and ended up hanging over the River Ribble?

Other drivers, Jack Foy, a guy called Mac,
and a lad called John Pembworthy, mate then driver.

I think your right Bingo with regards to the Westhoughton carriers that rings a bell. Have you found those photos yet ? Still looking forward to seeing them. Cheers. Paul.

Hey Bingo, where are the photos? :unamused:
Just to add to the drivers list, Ted Slater, Jack Catterall, Gerry Moss, Jack Foy, Jack Taylor, Johnnie Rawsthorne T/M, Norman Pembworthy,
Ken Mayor, Brian Twilly Williams, Malcolm Lofthouse, Harry Byers, John Casey (Mechanic), Ronnie Smith, Gordon Fairhurst.
Anyone out there remembers any of these drivers?

hello there my dad worked at bridges many years ago so did his brothers , my dads name is Keneth Broadbent his mates as I am trying to remember are dave moss jimmy mac brothers where alan Broadbent mick Broadbent and peter Broadbent and also my uncle jimmy Broadbent
I found this forum and I just thought id get in touch on behalf of my dad
many regards Warren Broadbent

ps I would love to see some photos on here if anybody can upload them cheers

Cant believe I left your dad off the list I do remember Ken, Mick last time I saw him was in the Big House
years ago and Jimmy I haven’t seen for a couple of years now, Alan and Peter cant bring to mind I think
I would have moved on when they started there. Anyway I hope they are all well.

I was on distance work and used the Ribblesdale Café next to the Caley depo at Longton and if we had an early finish and were at the café around 4pm you could hardly get parked up for Bridges motors I take it they were putting of time before running in to Preston. Eddie.

brill this just told my dad and read all the posts to him ,ye my mum and dad remember all the names listed , wow !! ive just bought the book on Harold bridges for my dad thanks for the reply…
I remember all of the trucks down bottom of Emanuel street all the drivers havin a sneaky brew at jimmy macs ( jimmy mcclarrens ) house, we lived at the top of Emanuel street 196
would be great to see some pics then I can send to my dad
be good all ttfn
alan Broadbent pass away few years back r.i.p

mick Broadbent, pete Broadbent, jimmy Broadbent, jimmy mac too, still around

erfguy:
I was on distance work and used the Ribblesdale Café next to the Caley depo at Longton and if we had an early finish and were at the café around 4pm you could hardly get parked up for Bridges motors I take it they were putting of time before running in to Preston. Eddie.

always drinkin brews lol did they ever work lmao

Wozbroady1:

erfguy:

The amount of drops and pick ups you did you deserved a bit of easy time.

always drinkin brews lol did they ever work lmao

Same as above ask your dad.

I got mixed up with the Jimmy`s it was Jimmy Mac I was meaning, last seen going to Deepdale.

ye jimmy mac he is always going to tialand rum bugger, he aint changed much think he may of retired from the post office now,
ye true them drivers deserved a good brew hot work eh no air con or power steerin then in those doys full days graft

Wozbroady1:
brill this just told my dad and read all the posts to him ,ye my mum and dad remember all the names listed , wow !! ive just bought the book on Harold bridges for my dad thanks for the reply…
I remember all of the trucks down bottom of Emanuel street all the drivers havin a sneaky brew at jimmy macs ( jimmy mcclarrens ) house, we lived at the top of Emanuel street 196
would be great to see some pics then I can send to my dad
be good all ttfn
alan Broadbent pass away few years back r.i.p

mick Broadbent, pete Broadbent, jimmy Broadbent, jimmy mac too, still around

Speaking to Terry Carroll the other day and he was asking if I had seen Jimmy Mac recently.
Terry now lives in Cyprus.

BINGO WHERE`S THESE PHOTOS. People are waiting. :laughing:

Albion%20claymore%201964.jpg

Not my pic. :unamused:

tastrucker:
i can remember there Albion claymores on parcels didnt they have under floor motors . thank you trevor

HELLO IS THAT TREVOR WRIGHT FROM LONGTON MY LITTLE MATE FROM ASDA WIGAN …

Jakdaw:

I like the phone number 5 :laughing: Why did their wagon body have canvas tops ? :question: All I remember is their T.K. Bedfords. Any pictures out there?

Lance Biscomb:

Jakdaw:

I like the phone number 5 :laughing: Why did their wagon body have canvas tops ? :question: All I remember is their T.K. Bedfords. Any pictures out there?

The canvas tops were a lot cheaper than having a full van body,but Ripponden & District had what looked like moulded fibreglass tops which I allways thought were a good looking job but I wouldn’t know how they compared costwise to a full van body.Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

Lance Biscomb:

Jakdaw:

The canvas tops were a lot cheaper than having a full van body,but Ripponden & District had what looked like moulded fibreglass tops which I allways thought were a good looking job but I wouldn’t know how they compared costwise to a full van body.Cheers Bewick.

…And a lot cheaper and easier to repair than a “proper” van body roof if the driver accidentally hit a low bridge (no pun intended!!). Lots of the old mill and factory sites in industrial Lancashire in those days had restricted access with low entrances into loading bays, pipework running across the yards etc. One job we had was taking blocks of wood into a bobbin making factory at Blackburn (Bancrofts I think it was) and the entrance was through a ginnel between two terraces of houses. You had to line the lorry up exactly straight on to the entrance, pull in both the drivers side and nearside mirrors, and squeeze down the ginnel. About an inch to spare on each side. Built in the days of horses and carts.

Re phone number it was 51801the door was probably bumped and knocked out and brush painted they were not to technical there. I worked at Bridges from 1965 to 71 when I left to go to Ridings I had some great times at Bridges good job great workmates I remember all the names posted hope they are all keeping well, we are all getting old now.