Bridges Transport Preston

FB_20150313_21_20_52_Saved_Picture.jpg

Hi Paul! As it’s now over three years since your original post, I hope my response is useful.
I worked for Bridges from summer 1966, Monday morning (6am.)after leaving school
on the Friday afternoon. (aged 15) After a few different “runs” around Manchester I settled on the ‘Eccles run’.

This started at Over Hulton then much more round Little Hulton, with drops along Manchester road,
inc. the co-op and small shops, the Lucozade factory, Henri Lloyd, Seddons, the shopping centre, etc., even, if I recall
correctly, a slaughterhouse? (Funny tale attached to that!)

After LH, we moved on to drops in Walkden/Worsley then
Irlam/Cadishead and Eccles. Often, early years as a second mate, my driver (Arthur Dawson) and me would park at the cafe (after drops in the shopping centre ) for breakfast and if we could finish early, call in afternoons for a brew and to play the pinball machine they had there.

Later years, as I was the driver on that run I used to continue calling in there. So, the truck you saw there was mine!

Occasionally my best mate, another driver (Rennie Goddard) and others would park up too, so it looked like a Bridges Depot on the car park. I worked for Bridges for 11 years total. I can name quite a few guys who worked there but there were about 400 including night staff, so my
memory ain’t so good now. If there’s any ex-Bridges drivers reading this. …do you remember me and my best mate, Rennie Goddard ?
I’m TOMMY ASHWORTH! Cheers Paul.

My mother work in the canteen for a few year.
I was in hospital for a few months when I was very younger. A driver that work there was in the next bed but cant at this point remember his name.
Cheers Welly

Hi Tommy.

Thank you very much for you reply to the tread. Better late than never. That’s filled in a few more gaps as to where you delivered around the area. Cheers Paul.

Great story, I wonder if they were related to this firm? Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Great story, I wonder if they were related to this firm? Regards Larry.

Nice photo! Not related to Harold Bridges in any way, I don’t think

Not related to Harold Bridges, but I think I recall the late Tony Brown saying he worked for them briefly.

Image004.jpg

FB_20160803_22_58_33_Saved_Picture.jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_slide1.png

WP_20150826_006.jpg

WP_20150224_003.jpg

WP_20150826_003.jpg

bingo:

Ex tartan arrow

WP_20150827_001.jpg

Thanks for sharing.