Brexit stuff in one place [MERGED]

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:
New one on me: current load from Fr to UK has a certificate for the wooden pallets used…
I haven’t checked whether this is overkill, or the new normal? Anyone sitting at home wanting an occupation?

They need to be stamped to say that they have been heat treated or in your case a certificate to say the same, I assume the treatment sterilises the pallets, so clean pallets from the UK yet you can move pallets around Europe that have had rats and the like run over them and crap on them and that is ok :question:

I said “from Fr to UK” so this is clean pallets for us. Is that OK?

Sorry mis read thought you meant going the other way, don’t know anything about coming in, but doubt they will have been heat treated then

ISPM15.
As I said first time I’ve actually had a cert for this…although I’m very sure all the pallets I’ve carried will have been heat treated to 56degC etc etc…
Looks like regs say all plts travelling in both directions must conform.
gov.uk/wood-packaging-import-export
Another example of friction free trade and cutting of red tape? Or a business opportunity for someone?
Once heat treated it seems the pallets can be left outside to be run over by any random rodents, as before, any side of the Channel. The treatment is to kill disease inside the wood it seems, not to sterilize the surface.

Franglais:
ISPM15.
As I said first time I’ve actually had a cert for this…although I’m very sure all the pallets I’ve carried will have been heat treated to 56degC etc etc…
Looks like regs say all plts travelling in both directions must conform.
gov.uk/wood-packaging-import-export
Another example of friction free trade and cutting of red tape? Or a business opportunity for someone?
Once heat treated it seems the pallets can be left outside to be run over by any random rodents, as before, any side of the Channel. The treatment is to kill disease inside the wood it seems, not to sterilize the surface.

Aye I’ve just loaded a using heat treated pallets in Wales and the guy said once they’ve been done once that is it, all the ones we use are stamped so am guessing it’s a bit of gold plating with a certificate and a money spinner for someone

Well, in other news, I finished loading over 20hrs ago. As yet no MRN number, so no ticket back to the UK.
Teething troubles?
It’s half past March already.
Give it another hour and I’ll have a boot sale of the load and ship in empty.

Franglais:
Well, in other news, I finished loading over 20hrs ago. As yet no MRN number, so no ticket back to the UK.
Teething troubles?

Are you in France? loading out of Holland and Germany there doesn’t seem to be this type of delay, the Germans are getting all our details the day before and the last couple of loads I did out of southern Germany there was no delay at all, surely the company know that the load is booked to go out on a certain date and aim off accordingly

Mazzer2:

Franglais:
Teething troubles?

Are you in France? loading out of Holland and Germany there doesn’t seem to be this type of delay, the Germans are getting all our details the day before and the last couple of loads I did out of southern Germany there was no delay at all, surely the company know that the load is booked to go out on a certain date and aim off accordingly

Groupage loads so different combination of suppliers and delivery points every trip. Full loads of single product are going ok normally, but the mixed stuff is a different story.
Fun Fun Fun!
Be better if the sun was shining, and it wasn’t Friday! But, here we are. [emoji3]

Even the Brexit Broadcasting Co - who are now firmly in the grip of the Tories - are now reporting the damage done by Brexit.

UK goods exports to the European Union fell 40.7% in January, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS), while imports tumbled 28.8%.

The figures show the biggest drop since records began in 1997, and are the first since new trading rules between the UK and the EU came into force.
Some of the drop in both imports and exports may be attributable to firms on both sides of the channel stockpiling ahead of the end of the Brexit transition period - so they didn’t need to move as many goods in January. Some will also be down to the pandemic and in some industries that’s difficult to disentangle from any Brexit effect.

Nevertheless, as economists have noted this morning, there’s no sugar-coating a fall of 40.7% in exports of goods to the European Union in January, our first month under the new trade agreement negotiated by Boris Johnson and signed on Christmas Eve.

From the time of the referendum, the BBC has been highlighting the danger that it’s not just tariffs that could jeopardise exports. The additional risk, well-known and well-discussed in Parliament, has always been that non-tariff barriers - such as vet checks on meat and poultry to the European Union - will boost exporters’ costs sharply.

Vet (phyto sanitary) checks also required on plants, seeds and some other foodstuffs.
Some ‘Organic’, or ‘Biologique’ products need vet cert too, although similar mass produced foods may not.

New Scapegoat Found!
inews.co.uk/news/politics/boris … and-911956
The current ■■■■ ups aren’t just the fault of the EU now: it’s also the fault of Unionists in NI.
Of course the Brexit deal was, and is wonderful, and there is nothing wrong with it since we were told by Johnson it was so.
It is also in need of being unilaterally set aside in NI. And the agreed timings need alteration.
So it’s great, but needs changing. It’s oven ready, but we aren’t ready yet.

A Schrödinger Agreement, to match the (Yes it is/No it isn’t) Schrödinger NI Border.

In this world of uncertainty, it’s good that some things never change. Whatever the problem, whatever the trouble, we can be sure that Johnson will always stand up straight and say:
“It wasn’t me, honest”.
You can always rely on him for that.

Sounding a little bitter and twisted there Franglais.
Another trip screwed up due to Brexit ?
It’s just teething troubles. It will all be fine. Although I haven’t seen my unicorn or the sunlit uplands yet.

OwenMoney:
Sounding a little bitter and twisted there Franglais.
Another trip screwed up due to Brexit ?
It’s just teething troubles. It will all be fine. Although I haven’t seen my unicorn or the sunlit uplands yet.

Moi? Unhappy with Brexit ?
How’d you get that impression?
I’m sure you remember when we got rid of T2s, TIR parks, customs agents, tank-schein (?) etc.
Having it all back again may be good for employment all over the UK and the EU as more desks and computers are produced for all the new bureaucrats, but yes, this weekend has been screwed by a piece of paper that 3 months ago was irrelevant.
But just imagine if I wasn’t such a relaxed, laid back type of easy going guy? I might be really upset then![emoji3]

The UK could, if we don’t pull our finger out, be in front of the European Court of Justice.
theguardian.com/politics/20 … ace-period
Our unilateral choice to extend the implementation grace period, plus our failure to provide a NI road map, as agreed and signed for by Johnson, looks like…well…Johnson being Johnson.

Excellent piece in today’s Guardian, an extract:-

"Now we know that British exports to the European Union plummeted by a cataclysmic 41% after Brexit on 1 January, what next? This is not the “slow puncture” predicted, but a big bang. Yet so far, it registers little on the political Richter scale.

It should shake the government to the core, but voters are well protected from this unwelcome news by our largely pro-Brexit press. Nor does BBC news, under Brexiteer mortar fire, dare do enough to rebalance the misinformation. Saturday’s Financial Times splashed that killer trade figure on its front page, but the Daily Express splashed “Flying start for US trade deal”. There is no “flying start”. Meanwhile, an EU legal action against Boris Johnson is starting this week, for his reneging on the Northern Ireland protocol and thereby imperilling the Good Friday peace agreement.

The Sun, Daily Mail, Daily Express and Daily Telegraph barely cover the EU trade fiascos, says Dr Andrew Jones, part of an Exeter University team monitoring Brexit media stories since the referendum. Currently, Jones says, those papers’ main Brexit story is Britain’s triumph over the EU on vaccines. That trope always omits the fact the UK could have purchased the same volume while in the EU, but it has become the Brexiters’ clinching case.

Prof Katharine Tyler, of the same Exeter team – and currently re-interviewing voters from Lincolnshire, the south west and Newcastle – finds no shifting views in either leavers or remainers. Nor does she expect real-world effects to have much impact given Brexit’s strong connection to national and personal identity. Bad trade news bounces off sovereignty-seekers, for whom any economic price was always worth paying.

Unless people read the Guardian, the Financial Times and a very few others, the Brexit damage is still invisible"

Continued at:- The Brexit deal was astonishingly bad, and every day the evidence piles up | Polly Toynbee | The Guardian

whisperingsmith:
the Brexit damage is still invisible"

Yet…

I’m still drinking Italian Pinot Grigio Rose at the same price. My organic cherry tomatoes from Spain are as delicious as always along with the buffalo mozarella from Italy. We are three months in now, it can’t all be stockpiled can it.

Isn’t that all that matters?

I’m sure we trade a great many products that I don’t see, ie plastics, chemicals and other product ingredients but right now, I still have access to the things I want for the price I wanna pay.

I voted leave because I have no wish to be dictated to by foreign powers. I prefer my dictator to be English and that’s exactly what I’ve got.

So ner… :smiley:

> yourhavingalarf:
> > whisperingsmith:
> > the Brexit damage is still invisible"
>
>
> Yet… I’m still drinking Italian Pinot Grigio Rose at the same price. My organic cherry tomatoes from Spain are as delicious as always along with the buffalo mozarella from Italy. We are three months in now, it can’t all be stockpiled can it.
>
> Isn’t that all that matters?

Well Alarf, you are lucky and have a reprieve on imports, as whilst EU countries were prepared for Brexit your/our Dictator failed to prepare the UK - so there are no facilities for import checks or staff to man them until at least next January.

So Brexit hasn’t happened yet for imports.
However, exports on the other hand …

According to the Border Flow Service Analysis the figures for feb have rebounded to 98% to that of last year.

Brexit latest: ‘Total pain’ to take dog or cat abroad with £110 fee and 12-page form

Thousands of British pet owners planning to take their dogs and cats away on holiday with them when borders reopen in May have been told to be ready for “a total pain” getting onerous post-Brexit paperwork filled in.

The former Pet Passport scheme —which allowed owners to transport their animals on unlimited trips to the European Union — ceased to be valid when the Brexit transition period came to end on December 31.

Now they have to obtain an Animal Health Certificate from a vet at a cost of about £110 every time they cross to the continent or Ireland. It must be translated into the language of the country of arrival and has to be obtained no more than 10 days before travel.

The paperwork runs to 12 pages compared with just one before, including declarations by the owner and copies of vaccination records. To qualify for the certificate, the pet must be microchipped and vaccinated for rabies a minimum of 21 days prior to travel. Another problem is that families taking their pets on holiday will no longer be able to carry pet food into the EU because of tough rules on importing animal products that have already led to truckers having their ham sandwiches confiscated.

Dr Ed Hayes, of the Kennel Club, said: “There are going to be increased costs and increased bureaucracy, it’s all a total pain. Nothing has significantly changed in terms of animal disease since the transition period ended.”

Daniella Dos Santos, vice president at the British Veterinary Association, urged pet owners to contact vets well in advance to book their slots.

In the Brexit negotiations Britain failed to persuade Brussels to place the UK on the “Part 1” list of countries which would have meant dogs and cats could have continued travelling to Europe on the same terms. Instead the UK is on a “Part 2” list alongside nations such as Argentina and Russia.

The Department for the Environment said: “We meet all the animal health requirements for Part 1 listed status, and we will continue to press the European Commission on this.”

GORDON 50:
According to the Border Flow Service Analysis the figures for feb have rebounded to 98% to that of last year.

From Border Flow site
“They are not official statistics and are not, therefore, to be treated as such. The official
January 2021 UK Overseas Trade in Goods Statistics are due to be published at 9.30am on
12th March,”
So, nowt official for February yet.
But
“Empty HGVs
● We reported that for the Short Straits specifically, carriers had estimated an average
of 30% of outbound HGVs being empty in normal times. This was based on operator
estimates provided to the Cabinet Office in 2020. This estimate is in line with data
derived by the Border Operations Centre from ferry manifests during the equivalent
period in 2020.
● In January, French officials provided an updated estimate that the proportion of
empty HGVs travelling via the Short Strait ports was around 50%. We understand
that this data was derived from data inputted by operators onto the French border
system - SI Brexit.”
From 30% up to 50% empty export vehicles.
Again, these are estimates, not yet official figures.
I know from using personal equipment available to myself*, and from intelligence garnered elsewhere**, that there is currently more empty running than this time last year.

*Mk1 eyeball
**Gossip

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Something I read today, not in the Media but just someone’s personal take on things.

Sadly and frighteningly, it sums up the absolute cluster4uck & end of … we are all having to come to terms with,
the only parallel I can think of is Germany in the late 30s, when the government of the day behaved as ours is now.

The Quote:
"Reflecting on the absurdity of it all, but don’t others also find it extraordinary that the Brits of today could be the only Europeans to vote to be discriminated against, within the Europe of which they live?
No wonder our fellow Europeans look on bemused. We have lost our freedom to live, study and work in the rest of Europe. Lost the security and protection of being part of the union.
Damaged trade with the largest trading block in the world.
Destroyed our cultural involvement through our incompetence with negotiations on visa free travel arrangements for musicians and performers.
Not to intend any insensitive pun towards our fishermen friends, who also now find they too are losing out, but it seems to me, the country was conned hook line and sinker.
I always said the EU is a far from a perfect organisation, what organisation is?
But our departure has cost us more than just any financial and economic loss, but something much, much more deeper and important; our culture and our true heritage."

AND now we are even losing our freedom to protest, Trade Unions next ■■

But at least we will have 40% more nuclear weapons.