Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

steviespain:
Early 80s, Blackpool, small INCREDIBLY HEAVY safe, 3 foot x 3 foot. Stairs. 3rd floor, no lift.
We took it up two floors, it decided to come down the quick way after my mate tripped and lost the trolley handles.
We declined to try again because of the size 10 holes in the stairs where the safe had dropped through.

Not to get too narky about it, but a large part of the blame there has to be worn by the incompetent [deleted] half-wit of an estimator who took the job on without bothering to ask where the load was going, what access was like at the drop and how the customer proposed to pay the extra spons to get a s0dding safe up to the 3rd floor.

Probably just as well you left it in the basement, cos that’s where it would’ve ended up anyway after you’d left it in the hallway of the 3rd floor flat…

Justin Case readers here haven’t stumbled across them, there are two “Flickr Groups” you’ll find diverting, amusing and relevant (not to mention worth spending hours and hours trawling through):

Removals & Storage contractors (run by Carl Williams): flickr.com/groups/removalvans/

Pantechs, removal vans, lutons (run by “SemmyTrailer” a contact of mine on flickr): flickr.com/groups/1234733@N22/

Mark ,John , right this job which will be completed for now tomorrow is

(1) 18 ft from Nr Banbury (at the rented house),plus 700ft floor space of garden pots etc .

(2) 10x 330ft containers

(3) 10x standard pallets of Straddle stones and a trough.

Was at Deddington Oxon all bound in December/January for Carmarthen South Wales

Jason I will let you know soon ,I will need assistance !!!

Loading at Deddington today , took four days so far ,one more day to deliver to the rented .

One or two starting with one from the Ronnie Cameron Collection it has an ex Britannia look about it, the rest courtesy of Richard Says.
Oily

Removals Richard 43484571561_e9e87b3967_rs o.jpg

Removals Richard 42302780974_f19e3ab7da rs _k.jpg

Removals Richard 42160050682_5cdfc745ac_rs k.jpg

Removals Richard 41179602181_88eacedb2e_k.rs jpg.jpg

Removals Richard 41109301771_c922174b44 rs _k.jpg

Removals Richard 40926927705_cb9e405b3e_rs k.jpg

Removals Richard 40076171730_9954b0fe3d rs _k.jpg

Removals Richard 35859837593_b3039f1a6e rs _k.jpg

Nice pics. Mebbe it´s just me but I think there is something really pleasing to the eye with these Luton topped, or high cabbed, removals wagons. They look, I dunno, muscular, hard as nails, ready for a tough job.
Of course, I may just be an idiot :open_mouth:

Great photos Oily :sunglasses:

One thing I noticed with pick fords trucks all look shabby on the paintwork :slight_smile:

JAKEY:
Loading at Deddington today , took four days so far ,one more day to deliver to the rented .

One hell of a job Steve trucks a credit to you mate nice pic of them :smiley:

JAKEY:
Mark ,John , right this job which will be completed for now tomorrow is

(1) 18 ft from Nr Banbury (at the rented house),plus 700ft floor space of garden pots etc .

(2) 10x 330ft containers

(3) 10x standard pallets of Straddle stones and a trough.

Was at Deddington Oxon all bound in December/January for Carmarthen South Wales

Jason I will let you know soon ,I will need assistance !!!

Hi Steve,
That sounds some job there…is the customer building is own house in Carmarthen with all that stone ! :smiley:

There sounds a fair but of weight there with all the stone together Steve…what’s the access like at the Carmarthen end ?

oiltreader:
One or two starting with one from the Ronnie Cameron Collection it has an ex Britannia look about it, the rest courtesy of Richard Says.
Oily

Hi Oilly,
Some great pics you have posted there.

The old Scania is an old Burke Bros …it does look like an old Britannia van… had the pleasure of unloading that Shore Porters artic 2 years back at Llandeilo West Wales…fully loaded…take my had off to the driver Ken…he managed to get it through a set of tight gates and up a tight long drive to a Major house…it took some skill and patients. …save a lot of hard work as you can imagine.

Regards Mark

Removal Ronnie 5894920902_a2408f3387_ rcc o.jpg

Removals Richard 40926927705_cb9e405b3e_rs k.jpg

smallcoal:
One thing I noticed with pick fords trucks all look shabby on the paintwork :slight_smile:

Hi John,
The reason those Pickfords vans look so shabby and rough there days …it’s not the Pickfords that was …it’s privately owned these days …a lot of franchised owner operator’s run them trucks these days…I worked for the old Pickfords …Allied Pickfords that company would never run vehicles that old or in that poor state !

Removals Richard 35859837593_b3039f1a6e rs _k.jpg

Mark, hopefully when they have exchanged I will be allowed to disclose the address , few trips on the MAN thought if it can get in ,might look to see if some one wants to take a return load down there for us .

Hi mark and Steve ,a couple of pics to keep going ,how’s your mother mark ,you been busy this week :smiley:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks to all for kind remarks re postings :smiley: any of you had experience of this kinda thing seen here in Germany
Oily

Removals Germany Johann H. Addicks cc by sa 3.0 -JHA Umzugslift.jpg

oiltreader:
Thanks to all for kind remarks re postings :smiley: any of you had experience of this kinda thing seen here in Germany
Oily

Hi Oily,
We used same type hoist last year…we moved high value books from the old Swansea Library to the Guild Hall in Swansea…we put them in a strong room at the top of the Guild Hall using the same type hoist…saved one hell of donkey work fantastic bit of kit…also used the same hoist to empty 4th floor flat in Kensington in London…managed to get 85% of household furniture on it to…except big heavy dresser had to be carried down a fire escape…glad to see the dresser in the van at the end :smiley:

Regards Mark

Removals Germany Johann H. Addicks cc by sa 3.0 -JHA Umzugslift.jpg

marktaff:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hi Oily,
We used same type hoist last year…we moved high value books from the old Swansea Library to the Guild Hall in Swansea…we put them in a strong room at the top of the Guild Hall using the same type hoist…saved one hell of donkey work fantastic bit of kit…also used the same hoist to empty 4th floor flat in Kensington in London…managed to get 85% of household furniture on it to…except big heavy dresser had to be carried down a fire escape…glad to see the dresser in the van at the end :smiley:

Regards Mark

Hi Oily & Mark,

In about 1984 we moved the department of National Saving at Durham from a third floor huge office block. The building was on the banks of the river Wear in the City centre and because of the weight of the records it was collapsing. It was a massive job which had to be undertaken between Christmas Eve and New Years day, and we had to employ sub contactors to dismantle miles of rack upon rack of shelving and records and reassemble in new building about a mile away. About 30 to 40 van loads from memory and there was a penalty clause if we did not compete on time, which we did.

From memory it was the Passport Office that was situated below and so we were not able to use their lifts,as that would have disrupted their work, so one of the conditions was we had to build an enclosed outdoor lift. We hired a industrial fork lift truck and used one of our storage container, whitch we put doors at either side and felted top to protect from weather.

We had to recruit about 30 female workers to file into Retacrates and refile into the newly reassembled shelving, and it had to be in precise order so that their staff could return after the Christmas-New Year breake and able to work as though nothing had been moved. So not the same as your photo, but probably a similar job

marktaff:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hi Oily,

Regards Mark

ParkRoyal2100:

steviespain:
Early 80s, Blackpool, small INCREDIBLY HEAVY safe, 3 foot x 3 foot. Stairs. 3rd floor, no lift.
We took it up two floors, it decided to come down the quick way after my mate tripped and lost the trolley handles.
We declined to try again because of the size 10 holes in the stairs where the safe had dropped through.

Not to get too narky about it, but a large part of the blame there has to be worn by the incompetent [deleted] half-wit of an estimator who took the job on without bothering to ask where the load was going, what access was like at the drop and how the customer proposed to pay the extra spons to get a s0dding safe up to the 3rd floor.

Probably just as well you left it in the basement, cos that’s where it would’ve ended up anyway after you’d left it in the hallway of the 3rd floor flat…

Sorry mate, didn´t see this until now.
Yes, I totally agree. But what did I know. I was a fresh out of the Army, naive, thick as pigshit, class 2 driver. No experience of the removals game at all.
I only got the gi because my Mum´s best friend had been at school with one of the bosses.
And the firm was more general haulage with a sideline in removals.

I wouldn´t say I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was definitely an experience I´m glad I had.