Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Hi
A mention of a Chapmans Daf A409 on this thread, attached is a photo (nmp) which may be of interest

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Amazing, that’s my old truck as well!! A409 GMV, I had it after Dave, the fella I mentioned above, who had it from new. That`s definitely when I was driving it as the fella in the passenger seat looks like Jason who was my regular porter for a while. I wonder where that was taken. Looking at the state of it looks like we have been away for a week or so. Could it be Ramsgate dock? Brilliant picture though, thanks for posting it! :wink:

A removal van belonging to S & R Smyth, (No Relation to me),during World War 2,
at the bottom of Parker Street, Liverpool, and Church Street is from left to right.
Photo is courtesy of “xkopite” Dave. Regards, Ray Smyth.

S&R Smyth 1.png

Another picture of a removal van of S & R Smyth Removals of Liverpool.
Guy Vixen, Reg No. looks like ELV 765, which will date it from 1938/1939.
Thanks again to “xkopite/Dave” for the photo. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Guy Vixen.png

bullitt:
:shock: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Amazing, that’s my old truck as well!! A409 GMV, I had it after Dave, the fella I mentioned above, who had it from new. That`s definitely when I was driving it as the fella in the passenger seat looks like Jason who was my regular porter for a while. I wonder where that was taken. Looking at the state of it looks like we have been away for a week or so. Could it be Ramsgate dock? Brilliant picture though, thanks for posting it! :wink:

It’s a funny thing seeing a photo of a wagon you used to drive. I sometimes think us blokes are more sentimental than anyone gives us credit for.

Here’s C275 DGS some years after I last drove it (coincidentally another DAF 2100)
flickr.com/photos/foden_djp/7492768296/

That’s a nice looking 2100! I remember quite a few companies moving away (pardon the pun!) from the trusted old Bedford work horse and changing to Dafs or Mercs. Those cabs created challenges for the body builders due to the requirement to tip the cab to access the mechanics. There were some virtually useless luton`s put on some bodies until most gave up and just put a normal box, without a luton, on the back.
We had a 2100 with a large, two man, sleeper pod upstairs! Now that had some space to live in! :smiley: Also, in later years, it seems some companies thought the 2100 to big an engine and started ordering vehicles supplied with the 1900 :unamused:

Mid 1950’s, Leatherhead.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Morning all, i was hoping someone could help. I am a new driver but often read through the old timers section, as a bit of a reminiscence of my youth. But i am after a few old photos of GB liners lorrys, in there older years, for my dad who spent a lot of time there with his dad, who sadly has passed away. Any photo’s will be very much appreciated,

Many thanks, rob

Bumped back up … viewtopic.php?f=3&t=149463 :wink:

Found some pictures of some of my Dad’s removals vans. Must be from just after the war. His business was nationalised in 1948, the year I was born. I seem to remember that Athersmith Brothers were the hauliers who ran the local area on behalf of the government until denationalisation in (I think) 1952. His business was subsumed into theirs.

I posted these pictures on the FB pictures of old Barrow in Furness and Frank Sleddon, ex Brady’s pointed out that the sign writing was ‘3D’. I don’t know whether Dad did the signwriting, but he certainly built the aluminium bodies. He was one of those blokes who could do everything, but as Frank also pointed out, that was when people in the haulage industry did what they had to do!

He also ran tippers as can be seen in the picture of the yard. He got into trouble with the railway union for using a drag link mechanical shovel to do the work of 10 men unloading coal or stone (I can’t remember which) at the local sidings onto his lorries.

He may have been good with his hands, but I know where I inherited my photography skills from…

Dad died in 1976 when I was on my first trip to the Middle East. Wouldn’t we all love to go back and ask all the questions that we didn’t ask then!

John.

Great shots of the old firm there John ! was the main shot taken on one of the bomb sites in the Town maybe ? Your correct about the Athersmiths it was Harold Athersmith who was Manager of The Morecambe Bay BRS Group which took in Kendal ( Maude St.) and Lancaster/ Morecambe where Fred Milner was the local manager under Harold. IIRC the Morecambe Bay Group was one of the first to be de-nationalised in the country during 1950 I think! But before my time mate ! Cheers Dennis.

Cosmic:
Mid 1950’s, Leatherhead.

LEATHERHEAD !!! Now come on Cosmic all you will have done is set "The Great Man " off, you’ll be sorry when he comes blasting in with his usual bollox ! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Bewick:
Great shots of the old firm there John ! was the main shot taken on one of the bomb sites in the Town maybe ? Your correct about the Athersmiths it was Harold Athersmith who was Manager of The Morecambe Bay BRS Group which took in Kendal ( Maude St.) and Lancaster/ Morecambe where Fred Milner was the local manager under Harold. IIRC the Morecambe Bay Group was one of the first to be de-nationalised in the country during 1950 I think! But before my time mate ! Cheers Dennis.

The yard was in between Salthouse Road and Roose Road. I don’t remember it, whether it was sold as part of the nationalisation or separately it had gone before my memory started. It may well have been a bomb site, there were plenty of those around Barrow, the Luftwaffe weren’t too fussy about actually hitting the shipyard or the steelworks - get tipped and head for home!

The 205 Duke Street address on the van was diagonally opposite St Mary’s Church, and you would be familiar with it as a Brady’s employee. I don’t know whether Dad sold it directly to them or again it was part of the nationalisation package.

I’ve seen a photo of it as it was in Dad’s day, but it was a long time ago and I can’t find it now.

John.

I’m chuffed to see this thread is still active - thanks to all of you who contribute.

I’ll leave you something a bit left-field (copied with permission from here flickr.com/photos/60955961@N08/31718893625/)

[bump]

Alright then gents, it’s confession time.

Breakages: what did you break/ smash/ bend, and did you tell the boss or “fix it” yourself?

Anonymity guaranteed :wink:

Just to keep this excellent topic going, here are two photos from Scotland.The S.C.W.S. Transport Division in Glasgow had four Removal Vans when I worked there in the late 60’s, 2 Bedford S Type, a Dodge with LAD short cab and a Commer 2 stroke.
Photo of the Commer which was driven by Matt Newlands is copyright to his son Matt, of Renfrew, who kindly allowed me to use it in a magazine article.
I’ve tried to post a scan of a photo of the Dodge from a removals receipt on here but I’m getting a message (In red) saying ‘The extension bmp is not allowed’. Anyone know what that means?
Alex

This picture is courtesy of Norman Higham, retired HGV Driver of Stringfellow Bros, Wigan.
He said that this Leyland PS1 Furniture van on a PSV chassis was originally a touring coach.
Stringfellows did also operate a fleet of coaches. Regards, Ray Smyth.

A few more.
Oily

Removals Shore Porters 28180144122_3c9bcd613f_k.jpg

Removals cr Barbara Rich cc by nc nd 2.0 402749447_a46acc6e3br_o.jpg

alexsaville:
0Just to keep this excellent topic going, here are two photos from Scotland.The S.C.W.S. Transport Division in Glasgow had four Removal Vans when I worked there in the late 60’s, 2 Bedford S Type, a Dodge with LAD short cab and a Commer 2 stroke.
Photo of the Commer which was driven by Matt Newlands is copyright to his son Matt, of Renfrew, who kindly allowed me to use it in a magazine article.
I’ve tried to post a scan of a photo of the Dodge from a removals receipt on here but I’m getting a message (In red) saying ‘The extension bmp is not allowed’. Anyone know what that means?
Alex

Alex - *.bmp is probably the “native” file extension your computer saved the scan in. It’s a doddle to save the file as a *.jpg file - or, if you want to retain clarity - as a *.tiff. Both file types can be uploaded here, the *.tiff will be much bigger because *.jpg compresses the info and thus loses quality.

If all else fails, kidnap a teenager :wink: and they’ll sort it in seconds :slight_smile:

oiltreader:
A few more.
Oily

Thanks Oily, remarkable to think Shore Porters are still going.