Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

whiplash thanks for those photos. The one of the 307 jogged my memory, the mob I worked for had two luton 307Ds, A- and B-reg I think. They were a bit slow into a headwind but still a helluva lot better than a Transhite.

Suedehead:
Can remember the old man telling me about when he used to travel to London with his dad and brothers,to move the bombed out families ,was a days run.Probably spent most of the day in Macs or Jocks :laughing:

Triffic photo, is your old man in that shot? And what’s the wagon? And is Goodenough still going?

Sorry, curiosity gets the better of me sometimes :unamused:

ParkRoyal2100:

Suedehead:
Can remember the old man telling me about when he used to travel to London with his dad and brothers,to move the bombed out families ,was a days run.Probably spent most of the day in Macs or Jocks :laughing:

Triffic photo, is your old man in that shot? And what’s the wagon? And is Goodenough still going?

Sorry, curiosity gets the better of me sometimes :unamused:

Its me grandfather left of pic, Chas Goodenough who took over the reigns from his dad who established the bussiness in 1899.
The old man wasnt in that shot but here he is in his de mob coat, topping up the rad of his Fordson one brisk morning. Cant decide if thats a radiator cover or a dead horse at the side of the van :confused:

Goodenoughs are still going mate.Albeit in a different form.
One of the family Dave,started on his own in the early 80s and i can remember a big fall out because they said he couldnt use the family name.To cut a long story short, he legally could and D Goodenough removals are still in bussiness - Goodenough &Sons ceased trading in the late 80s.

Suedehead:
Its me grandfather left of pic, Chas Goodenough who took over the reigns from his dad who established the bussiness in 1899.
The old man wasnt in that shot but here he is in his de mob coat, topping up the rad of his Fordson one brisk morning0
Goodenoughs are still going mate.

Thanks suedehead. Even those few posts and photos suggest there’s quite a history there. I have a vague memory of seeing a similar shot on flickr once, but memory is a tricky cow.

Removals must be one of the few trades where the actual doing of it hasn’t changed all that much, even though the wagons have - it’s still all about ■■■■■■■ big lumps of stuff around by hand.

jdc:
Unfortunately, I took very few photos which I regret now.

You’re not the only one. :confused:

Three of my trucks/vans .

My dad and his favourite fg

My grampys early truck but not his first .

Here is our old 308 in the early 90s , heavy steering :open_mouth:

GINGERS SPRINTER

Early 80s line up with my nephew .

Suedehead:

jdc:
Hi PR2100,

The trailers we had were all Marsden Vanplan 8 container trailers. In the beginning we never took wooden storage containers abroad but towards the end, the contract changed and so when a job was coming in to store you had to have containers on. That was bloody great, run out empty, load 8 containers, straight back, swop containers, back out and finish the job, The bigger the job, the better it got!!!

My work was mainly MOD so you would run out with 2/3/4 jobs on, deliver them, do a couple of internal moves within Germany and Denmark and then load up with army personnel coming back to the uk. You would then either have a couple of days in the UK delivering them or drop the trailer, collect another and back out and do it all over again.

Even if we were delivering to other parts of Europe, you would normally collect MOD work as a backload. Occasionally they would run you home empty but this was most unusual.

Unfortunately, I took very few photos which I regret now. We had a great time as there would be up to 20 trucks all weekended together. The Nobis at Asten was popular as those running out Sunday could make it in time for a ■■■■ up Sunday Night. The schwanhous at Venlo was also full with our lot over the weekends. Occasionally they would let you park on camp. PRB at Osnabrook allowed it but they had to ■■■■■■ you to where to park as you had to drive down the runway :open_mouth: Despite being a low paid job, I was richer then than ever as I was always away and never had time to spend and money :smiley: :smiley:

jdc
Do you remember a co by the name of James Nicholas ? used to do a lot of Mod work,Big Norm on the Sunday boat out of Ramsgate in his F6 w+d

Doesn’t stand out in my memory but might be a bit before my time :wink: :wink: I never shipped out of Ramsgate so that doesn’t help me in remembering them. The name does ring a bell though, will have a ponder and ask around.

W.H.Williams Spennymoor. An unusual sight of a few of our vans parked at our Green Lane Spennymoor depot. They usually would have been on the road working.

ParkRoyal2100:

Suedehead:
The old man wasnt in that shot but here he is in his de mob coat, topping up the rad of his Fordson one brisk morning
Goodenoughs are still going mate.

Thanks suedehead. Even those few posts and photos suggest there’s quite a history there. I have a vague memory of seeing a similar shot on flickr once, but memory is a tricky cow.

Removals must be one of the few trades where the actual doing of it hasn’t changed all that much, even though the wagons have - it’s still all about ■■■■■■■ big lumps of stuff around by hand.

Cant see many blokes taking out the sash windows and lowering a wardrobe down from the bedroom using a length of webbing and a ladder nowadays !! :laughing:
Done a bit on the firm when i left school,god i hated working with the old man. :imp:
As the “young un” it was my “duty” :laughing: at the end of each job to fold every blanket precisley and if the creases wasnt right and they wasnt stacked straight,on the wheelbox i was in for a bollicking - Happy days

Suedehead:

ParkRoyal2100:

Cant see many blokes taking out the sash windows and lowering a wardrobe down from the bedroom using a length of webbing and a ladder nowadays !! :laughing:

Good grief that brought back some horrible memories :open_mouth: I’d clean forgotten we used to have to do daft stuff like that. Doors off inside or out, windows out, banister rails off.

Even that wasn’t enough sometimes. There was one job we got (I wasn’t on this but we heard about it later) which was somewhere out Kings Langley way. It was an old cottage, may have been listed too - exposed wooden beams, low ceilings and all that. They’d got on quite well but knew there was an upright piano upstairs they’d have to tackle. When it came to it they got it to the top of the stairs but there was no way it was going to fit as there was a very low clearance above the stairs. No way out of the windows as they were too small. The customers insisted it had gone up the stairs with no problem when they moved in many years ago. Well our blokes scratched their heads, tried this, tried that for another half-hour - nope, still wasn’t going anywhere. They asked the customers again how this infernal bl**dy piano had got up there and apparently there was this slow dawning look that crept over the husband;s face. He looked a bit sheepish then admitted that since they moved in they’d had cupboard and wardrobe space built in over the stair well… :open_mouth: :blush: You can imagine what our blokes thought :unamused:

Why weren’t these things around when I was doing this job?

flickr.com/photos/teupen/4234404235/

@ Carl & jakey, thanks for the photos gents.

@ jakey, I’ve no memory of coming across Jacob’s before, how long has the company been around? Re heavy steering on the 308, same as the 307s I assume. I only ever drove one Sprinter and that was an ordinary van - how does yours stack up agaisnt its predecessor? The ones we get here in Oz are all built in Brazil os while the design is OK sometimes the build quality ain’t all that and they seem to come apart much quicker than the old 'uns did.

Carl I’m still working my way through your epic thread. I can remember things called Boalloy pantechs - were these the predecessor to Marsden/ Vanplans or quite different?

One thing you learn when taking sash windows out is to tie a knot in the cord,with the weight on the other end if you let go of the cord you are not going to catch it

Hi Parkroyal2100 , we new at the game , 1824 , thats when the company was founded , my great grandfather took over in 1930 from the orignal owner , my dads 87 and he started with his dad when he was 11 years old .
Not as old as shore porters but not doing bad eh ? :smiley:

Also Pickfords who started in the sixteen hundreds.

jeffreyk:
Also Pickfords who started in the sixteen hundreds.

I remember it being said that everybody uses Pickfords…ONCE! :laughing: :laughing: