Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

tipping up in Middlesbrough

Great to see your name back up mate ,truck looks very smart , your getting about in a diffrent direction to what you were on Clarkes .

Gregory’s 1959.

DEANB:
Gregory’s 1959.

Hi Dean, You do a great job finding these photos,

We had a Bedford CA exactly as the one in the photo supplied by Gregory’s in 1957
I must have been 9 years old and I remember going on the train & then over to Uxbridge on the tube to Uxbridge with my mother & father to collect it.I think I had to sit on a wooden box between the drivers seat and the passenger seat & not only was very uncomfortable but on the journey back to Spennymoor I was very tired and trying to get to sleep sitting on a wooden box was impossible.
We kept it until early 1964 months before my 17th birthday so never got the chance to drive it.
It was sold to a chap called Don Clegg a removal contractor from Stanley Co.Durham. He knew us and for years had asked if ever we sold it could he buy it as he thought it was such a nice little van. I don’t think he ever used it for work as it would have meant him taking a larger van off the road to use his carriers licence for it, but polished it weekly and just pleased to own it. Although we had used it every day even after a few years after he had bought it the last time I saw it it was still like new. Sadly he died very young & I never heard of its fate after that time but often wished I’d bought it back.
I think Gregory’s were part of Locomoter’s group of companies.

Hello Dean ,

That is a lovely old advert ,thank you for posting i think i might print off a copy and laminate and put in a frame for my office .

Griff Fender

Carl Williams:
Griff Fender

That looks like sketty the uplands in swansea griff fender,geo brothers,w jones were the big outfits in South Wales

Me tipping a load of baled carpet off cuts in john cotton dewsbury

Hey up John, that looked a heavy load.

JAKEY:

No only weighed 3 tonnes in total ,loaded 26 pallets of coke cola for Cardiff dropped in yard then home

Carl Williams:
“DEANB” Gregory’s 1959.

Hi Dean, You do a great job finding these photos,

We had a Bedford CA exactly as the one in the photo supplied by Gregory’s in 1957
I must have been 9 years old and I remember going on the train & then over to Uxbridge on the tube to Uxbridge with my mother & father to collect it.I think I had to sit on a wooden box between the drivers seat and the passenger seat & not only was very uncomfortable but on the journey back to Spennymoor I was very tired and trying to get to sleep sitting on a wooden box was impossible.
We kept it until early 1964 months before my 17th birthday so never got the chance to drive it.
It was sold to a chap called Don Clegg a removal contractor from Stanley Co.Durham. He knew us and for years had asked if ever we sold it could he buy it as he thought it was such a nice little van. I don’t think he ever used it for work as it would have meant him taking a larger van off the road to use his carriers licence for it, but polished it weekly and just pleased to own it. Although we had used it every day even after a few years after he had bought it the last time I saw it it was still like new. Sadly he died very young & I never heard of its fate after that time but often wished I’d bought it back.
I think Gregory’s were part of Locomoter’s group of companies.

That certainly brought back some memories for you Carl,sounds like a very uncomfortable trip back !! :laughing: :laughing:

Heres a Locomotor’s brochure.

Click on twice to read.

JAKEY:
Hello Dean ,

That is a lovely old advert ,thank you for posting i think i might print off a copy and laminate and put in a frame for my office .

Heres another chap. :wink:

Seen alot of advert’s about Marshall’s body builders,so i reckon they were a big concern,Carl may know ■■

Carl Williams:
Griff Fender

Griff Fender were taken over by Pickfords in 1964. :wink:

removals fender 1964 premo.PNG

smallcoal:

JAKEY:
No only weighed 3 tonnes in total ,loaded 26 pallets of coke cola for Cardiff dropped in yard then home

Looks like the new job is going ok John. :wink:

DEANB:

smallcoal:

JAKEY:

Looks like the new job is going ok John. :wink:

Going brilliant,5am start tues up to lidl rdc runcorn,load st helens 1/2 hour away for pontypool,up and downer

Great news John ,it sounds like you got your MOJO back :open_mouth: :laughing: , have you put all your kit back in yet ? how your getting on back on the bendy wagons ?

JAKEY:
Great news John ,it sounds like you got your MOJO back :open_mouth: :laughing: , have you put all your kit back in yet ? how your getting on back on the bendy wagons ?

I certainly have mate yes my gear back in I’m a lot calmer now

Great news mate , if you are overnighting this way let me know and i come see you .

Carl Williams:
Griff Fender

Cemetery Junction, Reading. Where the A4 and A329 cross, I lived about 300 yards from there.

Pete.

morning all nice run today on way to Brighton