Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

JAKEY:
Dean , i would of said a 1800ft van was a fairly big job back then to do on /off in a day , i mean our TGM IS 2200 FT and on/off with three good men is most likely a NO NO , four men would help but you may be better sending a small luton and not stacking it up sop much on both vehicles , over two days then no problem again with three good men !! No smokers or slackers though !! got to be out by midday so your have to pull your finger out your arse for sure ,and that’s local work.

JAKEY, I was not talking about the size of the move itself. I was saying would a 1800 cu van have been about the maximun size pantecnicon
in 1968 ? Or were they building 2,000 / 2,200 vans by 1968. Carl will know i am sure.

DEANB:

JAKEY:
Dean , i would of said a 1800ft van was a fairly big job back then to do on /off in a day , i mean our TGM IS 2200 FT and on/off with three good men is most likely a NO NO , four men would help but you may be better sending a small luton and not stacking it up sop much on both vehicles , over two days then no problem again with three good men !! No smokers or slackers though !! got to be out by midday so your have to pull your finger out your arse for sure ,and that’s local work.

JAKEY, I was not talking about the size of the move itself. I was saying would a 1800 cu van have been about the maximun size pantecnicon
in 1968 ? Or were they building 2,000 / 2,200 vans by 1968. Carl will know i am sure.

Hi Dean in the early 50s our Bedford SBs which were max length of 27ft 6in 7ft 6in wide were about 1700 cu ft. These vans gave us a massive advantage as the average house would have 6 wardrobes 3 dressing tables & chests of draws, along with 2 three piece suites always heavy & large & many with a piano thrown in. When we were competing with Pickfords who ran those little Guys about 1200 cu ft, usually with skilled packing including filling the wardrobes with mirrors, pictures, pillows & cushions etc we could manage with one van when they needed two. When the max length went up to 30ft 7ft 6 in wide 1800 cu ft Then when we got 8ft 21/2 in wide in late about 1966 2,000 cu ft. Then the law altered to max length was extended to 36ft.Howver we only had 2 at 36ft as they were difficult to negotiate in narrow streets. We settled for 34 ft which were OK particularly with coach chassis like our Seddons which had the front axle set back (To have doors for passengers on busses right at front) & by then we were getting power steering with the shorter wheelbase (but overhang on front as well as back) they were very manouverable. (Like this Seddon in photo) but then we had about 2,300 cu ft of useable space so when we went back onto Bedfords we got them the same length & with power steering they were OK But in reality coach chassis like the Seddons or the Leylands that Shore Porters photo shows made the best vans because of softer suspension (Designed for passenger comfort but ideal for fragile loads ) plus the shorter chassis wheelbase that enabled you to get them into areas you never could achieve with a normal wheelbase. But of course they were much more expensive to build on as there was nothing there but chassis & there would be difficulty in getting type approval with impact tests etc.
Hope that makes sense

Best wishes Carl

Seddon VUP.jpg

Collected one or two more thanks to fellow flickrites.
Oily

Removals Richard 48917875576_9afc182032_rs k.jpg

Hi Steve ,I had bude on ,cannington in Bridgwater decided to head to minehead to park up went from Barnstable taking the a39 coast rd never again in the dark terrible road to porlock then to minehead all hills nasty curves and narrow roads not a good rd at all :open_mouth:

Hello John , bad roads !!! :unamused: ,hold on tight springs to mind !!!

cfat

img051.jpg

Some nice old photos lads .

JAKEY:
Hello John , bad roads !!! :unamused: ,hold on tight springs to mind !!!

Yes very bad it would wreck your truck as it being low and overhanging trees apparently coaches use it :open_mouth: you got much next week

Hello John , its all last minute bookings again !!! :open_mouth: ,but yes steady enough but i surpose i could do with more ! :unamused:

Bloody bills stacking up make me hungry for more work.

Carl Williams:
Hi Dean in the early 50s our Bedford SBs which were max length of 27ft 6in 7ft 6in wide were about 1700 cu ft. These vans gave us a massive advantage as the average house would have 6 wardrobes 3 dressing tables & chests of draws, along with 2 three piece suites always heavy & large & many with a piano thrown in. When we were competing with Pickfords who ran those little Guys about 1200 cu ft, usually with skilled packing including filling the wardrobes with mirrors, pictures, pillows & cushions etc we could manage with one van when they needed two. When the max length went up to 30ft 7ft 6 in wide 1800 cu ft Then when we got 8ft 21/2 in wide in late about 1966 2,000 cu ft. Then the law altered to max length was extended to 36ft.Howver we only had 2 at 36ft as they were difficult to negotiate in narrow streets. We settled for 34 ft which were OK particularly with coach chassis like our Seddons which had the front axle set back (To have doors for passengers on busses right at front) & by then we were getting power steering with the shorter wheelbase (but overhang on front as well as back) they were very manouverable. (Like this Seddon in photo) but then we had about 2,300 cu ft of useable space so when we went back onto Bedfords we got them the same length & with power steering they were OK But in reality coach chassis like the Seddons or the Leylands that Shore Porters photo shows made the best vans because of softer suspension (Designed for passenger comfort but ideal for fragile loads ) plus the shorter chassis wheelbase that enabled you to get them into areas you never could achieve with a normal wheelbase. But of course they were much more expensive to build on as there was nothing there but chassis & there would be difficulty in getting type approval with impact tests etc.
Hope that makes sense

Best wishes Carl

Thanks for the informative answer Carl,some intresting facts and figures / dates etc. :smiley:

This may intrest you from 1971. :wink:

Click on page twice to read.

Hi Steve came across this pic on google :smiley: :smiley:

08E158A6-A8A8-4C95-B798-EE66948B5487.jpeg

Hello John ,that’s a old photo now. thank you

After having a heart attack on Friday night & foolishly trying to treat myself for indigestion, and not call out Emergency services until my son saw my condition at 10/00AM Sat morning I was rushed into James Cook Hospital Middlesbrough blue lights & Sirens to clear the road. I was immediately diagnosed as having a hear attack with one of my major arteries blocked and another two damaged. I was operated on immediately with 'Key Hole Surgery. not in an 'Operating Theatre but a ‘laboratory’ and I have been discharged this afternoon to recover which should take about 4 weeks/

When I feel strong enough I will put a full account on W.H.Williams thread, which I hope is read as I’m sick to death of the likes of Corbyn pulling down our NHS when even taking account of the North-South divide This Middlesbrough Hospital is acknowledged as one of the best in Europe for this type of work

And I hope when people hear of my foolishness & experiences by not seeking immediate attention it may save lives as fortunately they saved mine

Bad news with a good ending Carl.

Keep your pecker up! Look forward to reading the full version.
All the best,
john.

Carl Williams:
After having a heart attack on Friday night & foolishly trying to treat myself for indigestion, and not call out Emergency services until my son saw my condition at 10/00AM Sat morning I was rushed into James Cook Hospital Middlesbrough blue lights & Sirens to clear the road. I was immediately diagnosed as having a hear attack with one of my major arteries blocked and another two damaged. I was operated on immediately with 'Key Hole Surgery. not in an 'Operating Theatre but a ‘laboratory’ and I have been discharged this afternoon to recover which should take about 4 weeks/

When I feel strong enough I will put a full account on W.H.Williams thread, which I hope is read as I’m sick to death of the likes of Corbyn pulling down our NHS when even taking account of the North-South divide This Middlesbrough Hospital is acknowledged as one of the best in Europe for this type of work

And I hope when people hear of my foolishness & experiences by not seeking immediate attention it may save lives as fortunately they saved mine

Hi Carl,
I hope you are ok…i wish you well…your not foolish the same thing happened to my brother about ten years ago and under went the same as yourself …he made a full recovery.

My best wishes to you Carl.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Carl.

Hi Carl ,a speedy recovery mate take care of yourself glad your son on the ball a true hero :smiley:

Hi Carl, sorry to hear you have been unwell mate. Take care and look after yourself and you will soon be back to normal. :wink:

Wishing you a speedy recovery Carl.
Oily

The very smallest and oldest in our fleet X5HVJ (recently pulled out of the warehouse and recommissioned) and the largest and second newest motor on the fleet ,loading out of Robinsons self storage .