Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Woodbridge Removals Bedford with extended cab.

removal woodbr1.PNG

removal woodbr  prem.PNG

smallcoal:
Hi mark ,how did your trip go mate where you to this week

Hi John,
London…Surrey begining of the week…large move Cowbridge Wednesday onward…how about you ?

DEANB:

Nice article Dean…this vehicle is ahead of its time a drop deck trailer…the crew cab looks pucker job.
Good old Bedford.

DEANB:

We had several of similar York drop frame 30ft trailers like the one seen here coupled to one of our AEC Mercury tractor units and it certainly never needed 6 loaders to load any of ours.

SPT.jpg

DEANB:

marktaff:
“DEANB”, John / Mark do you remember this company ?

Hi Dean,
I’ve seen the pic of this lovely van a few times in the last couple of years…but no I don’t know anything about them…the only company around that area I know these days are Dean’s of Deganwy. …they have a guy working for them who’s in is ups John…he started off with Pickfords in the 60s. …I will ask him next time I’m up at there place…lovely post Dean.

Those DAF’s would be good looking motors Mark if it was not for the brown colour in my opinion. Langdons from Bristol
also run brown trucks. :unamused: :wink:

If I’m not mistaken Dean Marsden Vanplan designed the colours and logo’s for both these company’s. …Deane’s and Langdons…Brown not a favourite of mine either…but in all fairness to Marsden and Vanplan designed some nice colours and designs over the years for many companies. …with the exception :smiley:

marktaff:

DEANB:

marktaff:

Hi Dean,
I’ve seen the pic of this lovely van a few times in the last couple of years…but no I don’t know anything about them…the only company around that area I know these days are Dean’s of Deganwy. …they have a guy working for them who’s in is ups John…he started off with Pickfords in the 60s. …I will ask him next time I’m up at there place…lovely post Dean.

Those DAF’s would be good looking motors Mark if it was not for the brown colour in my opinion. Langdons from Bristol

If I’m not mistaken Dean Marsden Vanplan designed the colours and logo’s for both these company’s. …Deane’s and Langdons…Brown not a favourite of mine either…but in all fairness to Marsden and Vanplan designed some nice colours and designs over the years for many companies. …with the exception :smiley:

Hi Mark, Liveries and designs can be very controversial and expensive particularly with large companies.

for instance the design for Ness Furniture illustrated on the York Trailer I just posted cost them over £10,000 as a top ‘designer’ was hired and the design was used on all their literature & brochures. Fortunately we had a wonderful signwriter sadly no longer with us, Peter Butler and he always passed the test.
We painted vans in our paintshop for companies like United Carriers, Black & Decker, Thorn EMI and of course our own which came in so many different colours to suit various customers.
With Black & Decker we painted a number of box vans & then they had bought a fire Engine that they wanted white with the livery adapted similar to the vans.
With Thorn EMI we had to paint a number of 40 ft trailers and they sent us a book, line drawings artist interpretations with exact measurments, but the problem was it was a 7.5 ton boxvan & when Peter Butler our signwriter drew it on the 40ft trailer it looked ridiculous. We rang them for instructions. A chap came up from London saw the problem & said they would need to go back to the design board. A week went by & eventually said to let our signwriter adapt as best he could.
Peter was so good he even recreated the famous Barret oak tree on one of our vans we used for the removals into the Barret homes in the North East sites. See picture. Barrets must have certainly been happy as they used our van on their national TV adverts.
Talking about Marsden’s Our first TIR they built for us EUP488G was a mistake as when we went to collect it they had done the lettering we always had as red in brown. They offered to repaint, but the problem was the van had a form of TIR passport with photos and it would have had to have been approved again re-photo’d etc, so we accepted it and after six years or so when it required a repaint it was made identical to our other vans

Borrowed off FB Jakey, I remember them, are they still going :question: .
Oily

Hello Oily, No they been gone years ,way before my days , did they have many vans and where was there yard ?

oiltreader:
Borrowed off FB Jakey, I remember them, are they still going :question: .
Oily

An example of Marsden’s first effort at integral van on a TK chassis scuttle. It appears to be a full fibreglass body which would date it about 1965 but I might be going blind but I can see no flashing indicators

A few more.
Oily

Removals Richard 48371536901_199113a1a5_rs k.jpg

Removals Richard 48356282532_b78198f419_rs k.jpg

The dodge is most probably loading furniture

Hi mark some pics for you,how’s the family mate you busy ,how’s work with you Steve mate :smiley:

marktaff:
“DEANB” Woodbridge Removals Bedford with extended cab.

Nice article Dean…this vehicle is ahead of its time a drop deck trailer…the crew cab looks pucker job.
Good old Bedford.

You cant beat a mighty Bedford chap ! :smiley: :wink:

marktaff:
“DEANB”

Ok thanks for the info Mark. Never a fan of Marden Vanplan to be honest. Much preferred Vancraft bodies. :wink:

Its surprising how many different body builders there were back in the 60s/70s.

removal bedfa.PNG

removal bedfb.PNG

052.jpg

Great photos Mike of your mighty BEDFORD MARSDEN .

Carl Williams:

marktaff:

DEANB:

marktaff:

Hi Dean,

Hi Mark, Liveries and designs can be very controversial and expensive particularly with large companies.

for instance the design for Ness Furniture illustrated on the York Trailer I just posted cost them over £10,000 as a top ‘designer’ was hired and the design was used on all their literature & brochures. Fortunately we had a wonderful signwriter sadly no longer with us, Peter Butler and he always passed the test.
We painted vans in our paintshop for companies like United Carriers, Black & Decker, Thorn EMI and of course our own which came in so many different colours to suit various customers.
With Black & Decker we painted a number of box vans & then they had bought a fire Engine that they wanted white with the livery adapted similar to the vans.
With Thorn EMI we had to paint a number of 40 ft trailers and they sent us a book, line drawings artist interpretations with exact measurments, but the problem was it was a 7.5 ton boxvan & when Peter Butler our signwriter drew it on the 40ft trailer it looked ridiculous. We rang them for instructions. A chap came up from London saw the problem & said they would need to go back to the design board. A week went by & eventually said to let our signwriter adapt as best he could.
Peter was so good he even recreated the famous Barret oak tree on one of our vans we used for the removals into the Barret homes in the North East sites. See picture. Barrets must have certainly been happy as they used our van on their national TV adverts.
Talking about Marsden’s Our first TIR they built for us EUP488G was a mistake as when we went to collect it they had done the lettering we always had as red in brown. They offered to repaint, but the problem was the van had a form of TIR passport with photos and it would have had to have been approved again re-photo’d etc, so we accepted it and after six years or so when it required a repaint it was made identical to our other vans

Hi Carl,
The likes of Peter Butler are deffinitly not around today Carl…it’s all transfers today and like you pointed out what looks good on a 40ft box trailer doesn’t mean it will look just as good on a smaller vehicle…I also remember the signwritter who did all the vehicles for Griff Fender George Barry…i remember a job he did on a 36ft step frame trailer with container doors along the side with locking poles …my father picked the trailer up from Pickfords in Trafford Park in Manchester and brought down to Upper Bank were Fenders were based in Swansea at the time around 1971. …Fenders had become part of Pickfords …so Pickfords were turning there storage facility in to container store hence the trailer because they did not have any container vans…the trailer was a purpose built trailer with the Pickfords logo still all over it…Fenders painted it into there colour blue and the white windows were added inthere workshop then George Barry sign wrote it…I was always amazed how professional job he did all around the poles on the container doors…the old signwritters were something else…got a newspaper cutting of the trailer many years ago somewhere…will have a dig and see if I can find it.

DEANB:
Its surprising how many different body builders there were back in the 60s/70s.

That’s a big body for a 5 tonner Dean…just as well it was built to carry new furniture only…if you were to put the content of a four bedroom home on the back her today…I dread to think…nice article Dean

smallcoal:
Hi mark some pics for you,how’s the family mate you busy ,how’s work with you Steve mate :smiley:

Hi John,
Yes busy again this week mate…three day job Swansea to Swindon…Thursday Friday loading two jobs for France for next week. …thanks for the Photos…Britannia Cooks…New member of Britannia for East Anglia…you busy ?

image.jpeg-1.jpg