BEST 'ERGO' ?

Trev_H:

Carryfast:
Ironically in this case obviously not.
IE that cheap to buy and run uncomfortable Leyland would probably have turned into an expensive liability when it was time to re sell it.In addition to that the guvnor,by his own admission,knew that the thing was an uncomfortable heap when nights out were required in which case it was operated on the basis of rotating it’s drivers between it and the Volvo.All of which seems a reasonable reflection concerning at least some of the reasons why and when Leyland started losing ground against it’s foreign competition during the early years of the foreign invasion.All of which would/should have been foreseeable long before that point in time.

What a load of tripe,I doubt you’ve ever driven one, uncomfortable? no I really liked the driving position and the comfort, nights out? well the bed in my mk1 was wider and more comfortable than the F10 , which we also ran at the time.
Yes the F10 looked flash and the marathon was no frills but to say it was uncomfortable is rubbish !

Firstly I’m not talking about the Mk 1 version I’m talking about the mk 2 because even that guvnor didn’t expect something as old as the mk 1 to still be doing the job in the 1980’s and if you’re saying the mk 2 was better than the F10 in the case of nights out being needed then I’d say as you’ve said in that I doubt you’ve ever driven either of them or at least had to use them in the case of nights out.As for the silly small steering wheel because the cab was too narrow to use a proper one you could keep that too. :unamused:

Trev_H:

Carryfast:
IE that cheap to buy and run uncomfortable Leyland would probably have turned into an expensive liability when it was time to re sell it.

The 35yr old 1978 one I drove still survives XNX 581S ,the F10’s that ran with it at the time were all dead and buried at 10yrs old !
Not in her original colours but the ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ power is original!

flickr.com/photos/16069926@N … otostream/

thanks to ajd46 for the photo.

So which would you have preferred considering that both could be specced with the ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ combination.Let me guess you’d still have preferred the Marathon. :unamused: :laughing:

farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/324 … 68cfba.jpg

Carryfast:

Trev_H:

Carryfast:
IE that cheap to buy and run uncomfortable Leyland would probably have turned into an expensive liability when it was time to re sell it.

The 35yr old 1978 one I drove still survives XNX 581S ,the F10’s that ran with it at the time were all dead and buried at 10yrs old !
Not in her original colours but the ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ power is original!

flickr.com/photos/16069926@N … otostream/

thanks to ajd46 for the photo.

So which would you have preferred considering that both could be specced with the ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ combination.Let me guess you’d still have preferred the Marathon. :unamused: :laughing:

farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/324 … 68cfba.jpg

If you are refering to the Sed Atki in the picture we ran those as well, I prefered the Marathon to the 400 but when the 401’s came along with a rockwell rear axle they were better but suffered from serious tin worm !

Carryfast:

Trev_H:

Carryfast:
IE that cheap to buy and run uncomfortable Leyland would probably have turned into an expensive liability when it was time to re sell it.In addition to that the guvnor,by his own admission,knew that the thing was an uncomfortable heap when nights out were required in which case it was operated on the basis of rotating it’s drivers between it and the Volvo.All of which seems a reasonable reflection concerning at least some of the reasons why and when Leyland started losing ground against it’s foreign competition during the early years of the foreign invasion.All of which would/should have been foreseeable long before that point in time.

What a load of tripe,I doubt you’ve ever driven one, uncomfortable? no I really liked the driving position and the comfort, nights out? well the bed in my mk1 was wider and more comfortable than the F10 , which we also ran at the time.
Yes the F10 looked flash and the marathon was no frills but to say it was uncomfortable is rubbish !

Firstly I’m not talking about the Mk 1 version I’m talking about the mk 2 because even that guvnor didn’t expect something as old as the mk 1 to still be doing the job in the 1980’s and if you’re saying the mk 2 was better than the F10 in the case of nights out being needed then I’d say as you’ve said in that I doubt you’ve ever driven either of them or at least had to use them in the case of nights out.As for the silly small steering wheel because the cab was too narrow to use a proper one you could keep that too. :unamused:

I think Leyland may have started a trend with that “silly” steering wheel , as for having to fit a small steering wheel because of the narrow cab go check out the steering wheel on any ergo AEC the cabs were all similar widths.I always thought the Marathon was a smart looking motor Trev just my opinion but there you go ,they could have gone so much further with the interior but they knew what market they were aiming for :wink:

They did that middle east spec one with the sink cooker etc under the bunk.
Did volvo offer something similat on tve early globetrotter too?

kr79:
They did that middle east spec one with the sink cooker etc under the bunk.
Did volvo offer something similat on tve early globetrotter too?

Yes i think they did

Those backward thinking british hauliers apparently caused the death of british truck manufacturing by insisting on underpowered heaps whereas their european counterparts knew how to spec a high powered flying machine .Picture the property of Gloves :wink: :wink:

Trucks%2055.jpg

newmercman:
The 60 Series was a John Deere design, now stop calling me saviem :smiley:

Quite right, how could a famous blogger, camionard, and author, be confused with an elderly, short, bucholic, and very worn out agricole!!!

Evening Gentlemen,

Detroit 60 series, I can add little to Mark, and Anoraks contributions, and I promise to return to the threads core…but the Detroit 60 series has some significance to me personally, so please may I just add a few memories.

Detroit and John Deere had signed a collaboration from 1985, that Deeres designs could be sold by Detroit Diesel Allison. Detroit`s share of the “loose” engine market , (to be fitted by non GM Group manufacturers, in 1986 over 90% of the class 8 market), with their 92 series two stroke Vs, had dropped from around 33% , to less than 5% of the overall market for class 8 tractors by 1986. Persistant unreliabilityof the 92 series, coupled with poor fuel economy, as in the V6, and V8, 71s had robbed Detroit of credibility.

By 1987 the “Saviour”, in the form of the new Detroit Deere Corporation should have been manufacturing both the 11.1 litre, (250/350hp), and the 12.7litre (350/475hp), both designed for a pre overhaul life in excess of 500000miles. The design actually predicted a real time life in excess of 650000miles. Commanality of parts was paramount, with the 12.7litre only differing in less than 10 parts from the 11.1.

The new company simply did not happen, it was quickly realised that the existing agreement was sufficient to give Detroit the competitive advantage of Deeres fuel efficient, and powerfull designs, and the engines would be built at Detroit`s Redford, Michegan plant, without the need for the 50% joint company!

Personal significance…now of course it is my utter admiration, based upon personal agricultural experience of John Deeres 6cylinder designs, the longevity of the engines, their economy and performance, simplicity of design and service operation,…oh and their aural bark, you never tire of a Deere`s exhaust note!!! But lorries?? Having sold our Contract Hire business in the 90s , and as I was figuring out what to do in the future, so in the meantime I indulged my interest in US iron, and began importing /exporting a fair number of US vehicles. Volumes built up, and I realised that there was a small market for new products, but only if they were available Homologated for European use. So having some knowledge of one European countries homologation system, I was able to register a type approval for one US lorry fitted with a Detroit 60 series! In the event I only imported a couple of examples, (both are still in use), before I turned sharp left…and went Farming.

Apologies for going well off thread, but in view of the “clap trap” being posted about the Detroit V`s, and their suitability for everything…well I thought it worth putting some actual history down.

But back to the thread,Ergo, and Marathon, I had no part in Pats 1978 Eurotest, but did in the 79 one. But I remember Pat and I discussing vehicles one night, and he told me just how good , as a potential vehicle to operate the Mk 2 Marathon actually was. If I remember correctly, the Marathon was up against a Seddon 400, Big Cam, a MAN, F12 Volvo, and was it a Magirus ? overall fuel useage, and journey times were compatable across all motors, but the Big Cam, was ahead. Cab wise, well the Ergo must have been 15odd years older than the rest, but Pat said that as a driving enviroment it was ok, and quiet and comfortable. But what made me prick my ears up, was Pats suspicion that Volvo had “tailered” the test F12, to maximise its potential result…and he was not happy about that at all!!

Certainly those French operators that I visited who ran Marathon TL12s liked them, and as I recall the grill treatment with the horizontal bars looked not bad at all on the tall cab!! Trev H has confirmed that the Marathon was not a bad vehicle to live with, and from my experience of the AEC Marshall, well I liked that cab very much. Gingerfold has confirmed production figures, all in all not a bad vehicle genre then, is it!!

Ergomatics, well its confirmed, they are something to be proud about!!

Im away for a wee Bollinger...for I can remember when the redoubtable Cliff Hardwick came into the sales office at Hartshorne s clutching a Marathon launch brochure, and saying what a wonderful vehicle it was,…as I left the office to make him a cup of tea, I shouted, “designed by Cadburys…with nuts in mind”. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that all these years later I would be defending that self same vehicle…life is funny, is it not?

Cheeerio for now.

Saviem:

newmercman:
The 60 Series was a John Deere design, now stop calling me saviem :smiley:

Quite right, how could a famous blogger, camionard, and author, be confused with an elderly, short, bucholic, and very worn out agricole!!!

Evening Gentlemen,

Detroit 60 series, I can add little to Mark, and Anoraks contributions, and I promise to return to the threads core…but the Detroit 60 series has some significance to me personally, so please may I just add a few memories.

Detroit and John Deere had signed a collaboration from 1985, that Deeres designs could be sold by Detroit Diesel Allison. Detroit`s share of the “loose” engine market , (to be fitted by non GM Group manufacturers, in 1986 over 90% of the class 8 market), with their 92 series two stroke Vs, had dropped from around 33% , to less than 5% of the overall market for class 8 tractors by 1986. Persistant unreliabilityof the 92 series, coupled with poor fuel economy, as in the V6, and V8, 71s had robbed Detroit of credibility.

By 1987 the “Saviour”, in the form of the new Detroit Deere Corporation should have been manufacturing both the 11.1 litre, (250/350hp), and the 12.7litre (350/475hp), both designed for a pre overhaul life in excess of 500000miles. The design actually predicted a real time life in excess of 650000miles. Commanality of parts was paramount, with the 12.7litre only differing in less than 10 parts from the 11.1.

The new company simply did not happen, it was quickly realised that the existing agreement was sufficient to give Detroit the competitive advantage of Deeres fuel efficient, and powerfull designs, and the engines would be built at Detroit`s Redford, Michegan plant, without the need for the 50% joint company!

Personal significance…now of course it is my utter admiration, based upon personal agricultural experience of John Deeres 6cylinder designs, the longevity of the engines, their economy and performance, simplicity of design and service operation,…oh and their aural bark, you never tire of a Deere`s exhaust note!!! But lorries?? Having sold our Contract Hire business in the 90s , and as I was figuring out what to do in the future, so in the meantime I indulged my interest in US iron, and began importing /exporting a fair number of US vehicles. Volumes built up, and I realised that there was a small market for new products, but only if they were available Homologated for European use. So having some knowledge of one European countries homologation system, I was able to register a type approval for one US lorry fitted with a Detroit 60 series! In the event I only imported a couple of examples, (both are still in use), before I turned sharp left…and went Farming.

Apologies for going well off thread, but in view of the “clap trap” being posted about the Detroit V`s, and their suitability for everything…well I thought it worth putting some actual history down.

But back to the thread,Ergo, and Marathon, I had no part in Pats 1978 Eurotest, but did in the 79 one. But I remember Pat and I discussing vehicles one night, and he told me just how good , as a potential vehicle to operate the Mk 2 Marathon actually was. If I remember correctly, the Marathon was up against a Seddon 400, Big Cam, a MAN, F12 Volvo, and was it a Magirus ? overall fuel useage, and journey times were compatable across all motors, but the Big Cam, was ahead. Cab wise, well the Ergo must have been 15odd years older than the rest, but Pat said that as a driving enviroment it was ok, and quiet and comfortable. But what made me prick my ears up, was Pats suspicion that Volvo had “tailered” the test F12, to maximise its potential result…and he was not happy about that at all!!

Certainly those French operators that I visited who ran Marathon TL12s liked them, and as I recall the grill treatment with the horizontal bars looked not bad at all on the tall cab!! Trev H has confirmed that the Marathon was not a bad vehicle to live with, and from my experience of the AEC Marshall, well I liked that cab very much. Gingerfold has confirmed production figures, all in all not a bad vehicle genre then, is it!!

Ergomatics, well its confirmed, they are something to be proud about!!

Im away for a wee Bollinger...for I can remember when the redoubtable Cliff Hardwick came into the sales office at Hartshorne s clutching a Marathon launch brochure, and saying what a wonderful vehicle it was,…as I left the office to make him a cup of tea, I shouted, “designed by Cadburys…with nuts in mind”. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that all these years later I would be defending that self same vehicle…life is funny, is it not?

Cheeerio for now.

:open_mouth:

Blimey so just think what might have been if Leyland had kept the TL 12 powered Marathon in production instead of wasting all that money on developing the T45 and then buying in 300 hp + Rolls and ■■■■■■■ engines to put in it. :smiling_imp: :unamused: No surprise the test in question seems to have concentrated on the ( average at best ) ‘acceptability’ of it’s driving environment as opposed to spending nights out with the thing v the F12 or the SA.No surprise either that it was the big cam SA which seems to have been able to put up a better fight against the F12 in regards to productivety and I’m betting that wasn’t a 300 hp + version of the big cam either.

As for the F12 being supposedly ‘tailored’ to make it perform better than standard against a TL 12 powered Marathon I’d doubt that they’d have needed to bother with all the aggravation. :unamused: :laughing:

As for unreliability in the 92 series Detroit. :confused: Possibly when it was first introduced before it’s teething issues were ironed out,as is often the case in many types of successful engines,including the Rolls Merlin which helped to save Western Europe from defeat.But the military doesn’t usually keep wasting money on unreliable products for over 30 years together with the resulting implications which that would have on the risks of tactical defeat and the same applies in regard to emergency vehicle builders.Although having said that if you’d have said the ■■■■■■■ 903 then you’d probaby be right. :wink:

As I said it was mainly two issues which inevitably put the Detroit two stroke range off the roads for commercial vehicle use.Those being emmissions and the ever rising cost of fuel as a proportion of earnings not their reliability.Although as I’ve said it would have been interesting to have seen what a longer stroke 14-15 litre version running with decent levels of boost pressures might have done.

Marathon only had small steering wheel to copy Swedes , hand broms on dash ect , In Danmark Leylands became cheap basic trucks , problem on Marathon was it used too much fuel , the old Volvo F88 89 was much better truck than Marathon let alone later F10 12 , a friend set up in haulage with a 10 years old F10 , was still like a de-luxe car and still like new , real value for money , Marathon was like Scania … after 5 years , sell it fast

PS Plenty og Germans in those days buy Cheap Mercs with 190 PS for 38 Tonnes , German Gardners yes

[quote=" ?
As for the F12 being supposedly ‘tailored’ to make it perform better than standard against a TL 12 powered Marathon I’d doubt that they’d have needed to bother with all the aggravation. :unamused: :laughing: [/quote]
Carryfast, you really are one obnoxious and ignorant individual. The late Pat Kennet was a highly respected transport journalist who had cut his teeth at the sharp end of truck operating, working worldwide as a service engineer for Leyland Motors. I would take just one word from him as being accurate and factual rather than the thousands of words of balderdash that you have written on this and other threads.

Here here Graham…

As I worked at the magazine the Pat Kennett co founded, I heard quite a lot about the man, without exception he was highly respected by anyone who dealt with him and he never pulled his punches, often ■■■■■■■ people off, but still they respected him.

Volvo were notorious for ‘enhancing’ their test vehicles. All the manufacturers present vehicles that have been prepared with test results in mind.

They all run very lightweight oils, have the lowest rolling resistance tyres skimmed down so they’re ■■■■■■■■■■■■, which gives the best economy. They run 100s of thousands of miles on them to get everything loosened up nicely and are run over with a fine tooth comb before letting a road tester within a mile of them. That’s acceptable, but cheating is not.

Legend has it that one manufacturer, who shall remain nameless, had an inflatable bladder in the fuel tank, it had the wick turned up so it went like the clapppers, which obviously would have had a detrimental effect on mpg, to counter this the bladder was inflated as the tank emptied, this meant that when fuel was added it could hold a lot less, therefore ‘improving’ the lorry’s mpg considerably. Pat was the one who discovered this.

newmercman:
Here here Graham…

As I worked at the magazine the Pat Kennett co founded, I heard quite a lot about the man, without exception he was highly respected by anyone who dealt with him and he never pulled his punches, often ■■■■■■■ people off, but still they respected him.

Volvo were notorious for ‘enhancing’ their test vehicles. All the manufacturers present vehicles that have been prepared with test results in mind.

They all run very lightweight oils, have the lowest rolling resistance tyres skimmed down so they’re ■■■■■■■■■■■■, which gives the best economy. They run 100s of thousands of miles on them to get everything loosened up nicely and are run over with a fine tooth comb before letting a road tester within a mile of them. That’s acceptable, but cheating is not.

Legend has it that one manufacturer, who shall remain nameless, had an inflatable bladder in the fuel tank, it had the wick turned up so it went like the clapppers, which obviously would have had a detrimental effect on mpg, to counter this the bladder was inflated as the tank emptied, this meant that when fuel was added it could hold a lot less, therefore ‘improving’ the lorry’s mpg considerably. Pat was the one who discovered this.

A hint at that manufacturer’s identity, please? It’s all in the past now. Even the secret service have a thirty year rule. :stuck_out_tongue:

newmercman:
Here here Graham…

:open_mouth: :laughing:

The bit I don’t get is assuming that such types of cheating is what Pat was moaning about in the case of the foreign competition v Leyland’s products it’s obvious that all of this would have been discovered by the customers as soon as they started looking at their fuel returns in which case then surely the T45 and the SA 400 series would have been a lot more competitive than they were in the market. :bulb: :confused:

It also seems obvious that anyone who was going to test a product would have checcked out it’s torque curve first.In which case there’s no way that ‘turning the wick up’ ( presumably by over fuelling the engine ) and then trying to cover up the obvious resulting effects on fuel consumption would work because firstly the thing would be putting out obvious levels of smoke in the exhaust and the figures would be totally unbelievable anyway because any tester worth their salt would have a reasonable idea of what the figures were going to be before they even started driving the thing.Having said that ‘if’ the dastardly competition was resorting to such methods to make it’s products look better than they were :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: then it seems yet another reason as to why the downfall of Leyland had more to do with ‘other’ reasons than any so called militant workers.

All of which is why I said that Volvo probably wouldn’t have thought that the idea of trying to cheat a road test was worth all the aggravation especially in the case of the Marathon.In which case it could only have been the ■■■■■■■ engined SA 400 that was ( rightly ) bothering them.In which case assuming that Pat had caught them out trying to rig a road test in a respected road transport publication why didn’t he exclude the thing from the test and return it to the manufacturer and publish that instead of allowing the Volvo to continue :question: .

Which just leaves the question as to the bladder in the tank idea. :confused: Because even if it’s possible to work out the mechanism that would make it work all it effectively would do is turn the original tank size into a smaller tank while the fuel consumption would remain the same which would obviously show up in the lost range from the reduced fill up.Such a rip off would only stand a chance of not being found out if the road test total distance was within the range of one tankful of fuel before the vehicle was handed back that’s even without sorting out the mechanism by which the bladder system would work. :confused:

While notwithstanding any of that as I’ve said the customers seemed to have rated the F12 higher than the SA 400 ( let alone the T45 or Marathon ) during their respective production runs and there’s no way that they’d have done that if the thing was massively underperforming and consuming fuel outside of the figures provided in it’s sales publicity.

Which seems to be yet more evidence to suggest that Volvo would have had more to lose by trying to cheat road test figures than they’d have had to gain. :bulb: :confused:

As for me I’d have preferred the SA 400 with a 300 hp + ■■■■■■■ and a 13 speed fuller over the Volvo thanks even if it meant spending some of my rest time with a waxoyl can to hold back the rust.But none of that makes that Marathon heap any better. :wink:

Carryfast:

newmercman:
Here here Graham…

The bit I don’t get is assuming that such types of cheating is what Pat was moaning about in the case of the foreign competition v Leyland’s products it’s obvious that all of this would have been discovered by the customers as soon as they started looking at their fuel returns in which case then surely the T45 and the SA 400 series would have been a lot more competitive than they were in the market. :bulb: :confused:

It also seems obvious that anyone who was going to test a product would have checcked out it’s torque curve first.In which case there’s no way that ‘turning the wick up’ ( presumably by over fuelling the engine ) and then trying to cover up the obvious resulting effects on fuel consumption would work because firstly the thing would be putting out obvious levels of smoke in the exhaust and the figures would be totally unbelievable anyway because any tester worth their salt would have a reasonable idea of what the figures were going to be before they even started driving the thing.Having said that ‘if’ the dastardly competition was resorting to such methods to make it’s products look better than they were :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: then it seems yet another reason as to why the downfall of Leyland had more to do with ‘other’ reasons than any so called militant workers.

All of which is why I said that Volvo probably wouldn’t have thought that the idea of trying to cheat a road test was worth all the aggravation especially in the case of the Marathon.In which case it could only have been the ■■■■■■■ engined SA 400 that was ( rightly ) bothering them.In which case assuming that Pat had caught them out trying to rig a road test in a respected road transport publication why didn’t he exclude the thing from the test and return it to the manufacturer and publish that instead of allowing the Volvo to continue :question: .

Which just leaves the question as to the bladder in the tank idea. :confused: Because even if it’s possible to work out the mechanism that would make it work all it effectively would do is turn the original tank size into a smaller tank while the fuel consumption would remain the same which would obviously show up in the lost range from the reduced fill up.Such a rip off would only stand a chance of not being found out if the road test total distance was within the range of one tankful of fuel before the vehicle was handed back that’s even without sorting out the mechanism by which the bladder system would work. :confused:

While notwithstanding any of that as I’ve said the customers seemed to have rated the F12 higher than the SA 400 ( let alone the T45 or Marathon ) during their respective production runs and there’s no way that they’d have done that if the thing was massively underperforming and consuming fuel outside of the figures provided in it’s sales publicity.

Which seems to be yet more evidence to suggest that Volvo would have had more to lose by trying to cheat road test figures than they’d have had to gain. :bulb: :confused:

As for me I’d have preferred the SA 400 with a 300 hp + ■■■■■■■ and a 13 speed fuller over the Volvo thanks even if it meant spending some of my rest time with a waxoyl can to hold back the rust.But none of that makes that Marathon heap any better. :wink:

So what you`ve said there in simple terms is that you dont believe him

ramone:

Carryfast:

newmercman:
Here here Graham…

What I’ve said there isn’t a case that I don’t believe anyone because I don’t actually know for sure what went on at the time concerning the tests in question.

What I’ve ‘actually’ said is that ‘if’ it’s ‘true’ I can’t ‘understand’ ‘why’/‘how’ any large truck manufacturer could,or would want to,try to manipulate and rig independent test results of it’s products when it’s obvious that there’s no way that any such manipulation and rigging wouldn’t (1) probably be found out by the testers and (2) even worse the potential customers of the product both in regards to the test results and/or in service and thereby the reputation of both the product and it’s manufacturer. :bulb: :confused:

In this case,as I’ve said,and having driven both the F10 and the Marathon in service,there’s no way that I’d personally rate the Marathon over the F10 let alone the F12 at least from a driver’s point of view.As I’ve also said there might possibly have been some advantages in regards to ‘some’ of the costs of buying and running the Marathon as opposed to the Volvo for the guvnor.Although many of those advantages would probably have been wiped out at the resale point unless the Marathon was just run into the ground and then sold for scrap and parts.However I don’t remember any of Leyland’s foreign competition having been viewed by customers as being overrated by comparison based on any,supposedly,unrepresentative independent test results in the transport media.However customers overlooking reasonably credible British competitors like the the TM and SA 400 series without good reason would arguably be another matter. :bulb:

Carryfast:

ramone:

Carryfast:

newmercman:
Here here Graham…

What I’ve said there isn’t a case that I don’t believe anyone because I don’t actually know for sure what went on at the time concerning the tests in question.

What I’ve ‘actually’ said is that ‘if’ it’s ‘true’ I can’t ‘understand’ ‘why’/‘how’ any large truck manufacturer could,or would want to,try to manipulate and rig independent test results of it’s products when it’s obvious that there’s no way that any such manipulation and rigging wouldn’t (1) probably be found out by the testers and (2) even worse the potential customers of the product both in regards to the test results and/or in service and thereby the reputation of both the product and it’s manufacturer. :bulb: :confused:

In this case,as I’ve said,and having driven both the F10 and the Marathon in service,there’s no way that I’d personally rate the Marathon over the F10 let alone the F12 at least from a driver’s point of view.As I’ve also said there might possibly have been some advantages in regards to ‘some’ of the costs of buying and running the Marathon as opposed to the Volvo for the guvnor.Although many of those advantages would probably have been wiped out at the resale point unless the Marathon was just run into the ground and then sold for scrap and parts.However I don’t remember any of Leyland’s foreign competition having been viewed by customers as being overrated by comparison based on any,supposedly,unrepresentative independent test results in the transport media.However customers overlooking reasonably credible British competitors like the the TM and SA 400 series without good reason would arguably be another matter. :bulb:

So you dont believe him then !

Nice one Ramone :sunglasses:

The bladder would be easy to inflate on a vehicle with a compressed air system! I thought you had an engineering background Geoffrey :ugeek:

Some engines (here’s a big clue [zb]) had terrible part load fuel consumption, so a simple few turns in the pump settings would give extra power, which wasn’t so much of a problem at full load, but the extra fuel was always being added and compounded the poor part load returns.

I wasn’t there, so it could be hyperbole, but we’re talking about factory drivers, they usually have a bit more about them than the screwdrivers you find in an RDC waiting room. Mind you there’s another side to that coin too. You were a factory driver if I remember correctly Geoffrey:grin:

I’m sure that all vehicles submitted for magazine testing are specially prepared and not picked off the production line at random. When I was a teenager I was on a trip with Ray Holden in the lorry and we were in south London. Ray had been a flight engineer in Bomber Command during WW2 and whilst in London we called to see one of his former RAF comrades, also a former flight engineer, he worked at a special garage preparing Ford cars for magazine testing. It was an interesting and enlightening visit.