BEST 'ERGO' ?

Bewick:
A local firm to us,Nelsons of Arnside,bought a new Marshal Ergo 6wheeler in the '60’s and one day they’d had the cab up and hadn’t fastened it down properly.The driver,Walt Allen RIP,set off and had only gone a short distance when he applied the brakes,up comes the cab and nearly cut him in half.He was lucky and got away with it but it could have been fatal I think.PS Walt went on to become Nelsons transport manager and it’s only a couple of years or so ago that he passed away at a good age ! Cheers Bewick.

Dennis that happened to a BRS driver at Sheffield Johnny Hines but I can’t recall if it was a Mandator or a Beaver and he ended up in hospital with a cut head and concussion :unamused:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

sammyopisite:

Bewick:
A local firm to us,Nelsons of Arnside,bought a new Marshal Ergo 6wheeler in the '60’s and one day they’d had the cab up and hadn’t fastened it down properly.The driver,Walt Allen RIP,set off and had only gone a short distance when he applied the brakes,up comes the cab and nearly cut him in half.He was lucky and got away with it but it could have been fatal I think.PS Walt went on to become Nelsons transport manager and it’s only a couple of years or so ago that he passed away at a good age ! Cheers Bewick.

Dennis that happened to a BRS driver at Sheffield Johnny Hines but I can’t recall if it was a Mandator or a Beaver and he ended up in hospital with a cut head and concussion :unamused:

Johnnie,I can never understand why the drivers seat was fixed to the chassis and was not integral to the cab,the Mastiff cabs were OK and Ford D series as well,bloody Leyland just had to be different and dangerous into the bargain.I am sure I heard about other serious accidents with the ergo tilt cab in the 60’s,not sure wether they adapted some fail safe mechanism later.Cheers Dennis.

I seem to recall they did Dennis but not sure whether it was BL or the BRS some kind of locking device was fitted
cheers Johnnie

i seem to recall one of dads bisons having a spring arrangement involved with the cab securing bolts, does anyone else remember this arrangement?

gingerfold:
The main problem with the Ergo cab was its “one size fits all concept” that meant it was fine for smaller engined models such as Mercury’s, Marshals, Super Comets, Reivers etc. but it sat too close to the bigger AV760 and O.680 engines, restricting air flow and radiator sizes. As already mentioned by others cooling problems were common with Mandators, Mammoth Majors, Beavers etc. until the rear mounted header tank was introduced. Other good points were the driving position, forward vision, and siting of all the switches and controls, absolutely first class. Bad points, spray onto the mirrors in wet weather, large engine cover made it uncomfortable to rest or sleep in. I have read from a Leyland engineer that the floor pan was designed incorrectly and by the time that they realised the mistake all the dies and jigs had been made for the cab panels so they carried on and made a cab that was fundamentally flawed from the base upwards. However the Ergo cab was a massive step forwards in 1965. As to which was best AEC or Leyland? As someone who liked both marques my money would be on AEC every time. My mentor the late Ray Holden was a time-served engineer and was originally ‘a Leyland man’, but after operating his first AECs he admitted that in his opinion the AEC engineering was better than that of Leyland. I also heard a Leyland employee of many years standing admit the same thing.

Evening Gentlemen, just to add a little more to the discussion, one elderly Gentleman, (actually, he is only a tad older than myself), who lives in one of my neighbours converted barns, walked into the farmyard over Easter, having seen me “cavorting” around with the LB76. Turned out that during his career in engineering he was a senior manager at dear old GKN Sankey at Telford.

Had a most interesting conversation with him, covering everything from pressed wheels, to Military hardware, and of course the Ergomatic cab. Yes, the design brief for the jigs to produce the floor pressing was inaccurate. There had been some debate between GKN and Leyland over the method of construction. Sankey having favoured a total envelope, with seperate pressings for engine variant hight.

An original idea was to have a dual range of cab types, one lower than the other, both monocoque, with seperate styling panels to identify individual group models. However this was rejected, as the client Leyland, could see no practical reason to produce anything other than the seperate tilting skin idea! And of course, as sleeping in a lorry was illegal under UK law, then the possibility of sleeping provision was not deemed necessary. The Sankey proposal would have resulted, (in the higher version) in a larger under cab area, to house the “motor et al”…and I doubt that there would have been the cooling problems. Dimension wise, the High version would have been similar size to the Motor Panels pressings, and on a Mandator/ Beaver type, probably about 6in higher than a Big J on 1100s. (His words, not mine).

Now Gingerfold may know more about this, but I understand that basic design of the cab “mule” used by AEC over their test V8 6wheeled tractor, was sent to Sankey to appraise, and hone into something “state of the art”, for production. The idea being that AEC would market it in the UK, but more so, from their South American,and European operations. But the whole brief was very suddenly rescinded by Southall, with no explanation.

Shame that no memos, minutes of meetings etc have not found their way out of these companys, is it not? A real mystery,…Graham, you could have a real “best seller” if you could find out the “inside bits”, and form them into a book!

Anyway, time for my Bollinger nightcap, stone for the drains comes tommorow, and do we need drains!!!

Cheerio for now.

Yes Saviem, there is still much to be uncovered and brought into the public domain about the intrigues and plots that surrounded British Leyland in its darkest hours. I had a photo of one of the prototype Mandator V8s (the Western Transport vehicle) that shows the cab tilted and with the driver’s side floor pan and seat fixed to the cab frame and also TILTED. Whether this was a “one off” or all the production V8s were similar I’m not sure. Perhaps someone with a preserved Mandator V8 can enlighten us. Incidentally the Western Transport prototype Mandator V8 was badly damaged in a RTA and had to be rebuilt.

I’m aware of at least one recorded and authenticated driver fatality caused by an early Ergo cab tilting of its own accord under heavy braking. The original design of cab locking mechanism was very basic, comprising of a lever and hook arrangement onto a quite flimsy rod. By the end of 1966 this had been replaced with the double screw-in large bolts, complete with separate lock bolts and nuts, a ‘belt and braces’ arrangement that was a vast improvement.

Going back to the flawed floor pan design, I believe that it was based on the LAD cab floor pan, front chassis, and engine mounting layout, which was different to the new chassis, radiator, and engine mounting layout used for the Ergo range. It was a typical bodge up, and the term “too many cooks and broth” springs to mind caused by Leyland and AEC designers / engineers being involved. Bob Fryars, a very senior AEC man, and later very senior Leyland Group Chief Engineer is the man who can tell us all the answers.

I thought the later Ergos- the high datum ones on the 500-engined range- had a full floorpan, with a tilting seat etc, like a “normal” lorry. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Would the problems arising from the " Ergo " tilt cab be the reason that the next two cabs were of the fixed design i.e. the cab on the Guy Big J and the Scammell Crusader cabs from the BL group. This would seem like a cop out as there was a few European wagons over here while these were still at the design stage so there would have been some other designs to look at to try and correct their faults but being BL it was far easier to go backwards.

gingerfold:
Going back to the flawed floor pan design, I believe that it was based on the LAD cab floor pan, front chassis, and engine mounting layout, which was different to the new chassis, radiator, and engine mounting layout used for the Ergo range. It was a typical bodge up, and the term “too many cooks and broth” springs to mind caused by Leyland and AEC designers / engineers being involved. Bob Fryars, a very senior AEC man, and later very senior Leyland Group Chief Engineer is the man who can tell us all the answers.

Again I stand to be corrected, but I thought the AEC/Leyland merger took place in 1962 and the first Ergos were delivered to customers in 1964. Given a normal lead time to make the press tools, do pre-production batches etc, the AEC engineers would not have had much to do with it, I would have thought. The main design decisions would have been made before the merger.

Interesting discussion, this.

sammyopisite:
Would the problems arising from the " Ergo " tilt cab be the reason that the next two cabs were of the fixed design i.e. the cab on the Guy Big J and the Scammell Crusader cabs from the BL group. This would seem like a cop out as there was a few European wagons over here while these were still at the design stage so there would have been some other designs to look at to try and correct their faults but being BL it was far easier to go backwards.

At the time in question the different divisions that formed the Leyland truck group were still more or less autonomous independent firms which did their own thing.You can bet that if AEC engineers were as good as many would like to think they were they would have told Leyland to scrap the early flawed British primitive tilt cab over ideas and looked across the Atlantic and refused any orders to do otherwise.As I’ve said previously it’s probably a case of engineers who were more comfortable with the idea of normal control/conventional or fixed cab over designs suddenly being thrown into a type of design scenario which was a rushed effort,too far,too soon,together with the added problems,as usual,of insufficient development budgets.

It’s no surprise to me in this case that Scammell’s engineers said no thanks we’ll stay with what we know.As for AEC it was,as usual,Scammell which is where the best engineering could be found with AEC and Leyland a close second.I think things might have been different if there’d have been a merger between Scammell and AEC kept seperate from Leyland. :bulb:

[zb]
anorak:

gingerfold:

Again I stand to be corrected, but I thought the AEC/Leyland merger took place in 1962 and the first Ergos were delivered to customers in 1964. Given a normal lead time to make the press tools, do pre-production batches etc, the AEC engineers would not have had much to do with it, I would have thought. The main design decisions would have been made before the merger.

Yes a very good point. The new Ergo cab was indeed a Leyland project conceived at about the time of the “merger” with AEC. Leyland retained the design studios of Michelotti for the styling and interior layout with production of the cabs contracted out to Sankeys (later GKN Sankey). Because it was one of the first decisions taken by the Leyland Group heirarchy to use the Ergo cab on Leyland, Albion, and AEC models then AEC engineers came rather belatedly to the party and had to fit the cab onto its own revised range of models designed for the increased gross weights and vehicle dimensions applicable from 1965 (i.e. the 1964 C & U Regs). For the new C & U Regs AEC had designed a virtually new truck range with new engines, chassis, braking systems etc. to replace its AEC Mk.V heavyweights and 5GM4, 4GM6 medium weights. In contrast Leyland’s (and Albion’s) new ranges were not as modernised for the 1964 C & U Regs but were upgraded models based on existing Power-Plus, Comet, Clydesdale, and Reiver models. So the first seeds of the years of conflict between AEC and Leyland were sown because of the Ergo cab. AEC always blamed the Ergo cab for the problems it caused with subsequent unreliabilty in hotter climates such as Australia and South Africa resulting from persistent overheating with Mandators and Mammoth Majors. Interestingly no one from AEC has ever gone on record stating what cab they intended to use to replace the coachbuilt varieties used prior to 1965.

gingerfold:

[zb]
anorak:

gingerfold:

Yes a very good point. The new Ergo cab was indeed a Leyland project conceived at about the time of the “merger” with AEC. Leyland retained the design studios of Michelotti for the styling and interior layout with production of the cabs contracted out to Sankeys (later GKN Sankey). Because it was one of the first decisions taken by the Leyland Group heirarchy to use the Ergo cab on Leyland, Albion, and AEC models then AEC engineers came rather belatedly to the party and had to fit the cab onto its own revised range of models designed for the increased gross weights and vehicle dimensions applicable from 1965 (i.e. the 1964 C & U Regs). For the new C & U Regs AEC had designed a virtually new truck range with new engines, chassis, braking systems etc. to replace its AEC Mk.V heavyweights and 5GM4, 4GM6 medium weights. In contrast Leyland’s (and Albion’s) new ranges were not as modernised for the 1964 C & U Regs but were upgraded models based on existing Power-Plus, Comet, Clydesdale, and Reiver models. So the first seeds of the years of conflict between AEC and Leyland were sown because of the Ergo cab. AEC always blamed the Ergo cab for the problems it caused with subsequent unreliabilty in hotter climates such as Australia and South Africa resulting from persistent overheating with Mandators and Mammoth Majors. Interestingly no one from AEC has ever gone on record stating what cab they intended to use to replace the coachbuilt varieties used prior to 1965.

It’s a bit difficult to believe any engineer worth their salt in the AEC division wouldn’t have decided to take any arguments,concerning being ordered to use flawed designs,up to and beyond the brink by way of outright refusal.It seems obvious that at the time in question the best and easiest idea would have been to use the established,by that time,cab over designs used across the Atlantic by firms like Kenworth.It’s my bet that the reasons for the issues contained in your last sentence would be explained by AEC engineers having known that but didn’t have the bottle,or more likely the realisation,to tell Leyland that the ERGO was a zb primitive design and that they weren’t prepared to use it. :bulb:

The Edict came down the line from Leyland headquarters that the Ergo cab had to be used. A contract for 30,000 cabs had been agreed with Sankeys. also remember CF that when the new Ergo cab was on display at the 1964 Commercial Vehicle Show it was a stunning development compared with what many other British manufacturers had at the time. The inherent flaws with the design were unknown at the time. It took all the headlines and was seen as a show stopper that everyone wanted. Sales of Ergo cabbed models made by Leyland, AEC and Albion, were huge from 1965 (when first available) to about 1970 with very long waiting lists for delivery.

Also Leyland was always the senior partner within the AEC / Leyland merger (Leyland takeover is a better description). Leyland was a sales dominated organisation, AEC was more of an engineer led company (through is origins as the London General Omnibus Company where sales outside of London were not that vital to the AEC’s success prior to 1932). In any commercial organisation sales management will usually have the last word over engineering and / or production management.

[zb]
anorak:
I thought the later Ergos- the high datum ones on the 500-engined range- had a full floorpan, with a tilting seat etc, like a “normal” lorry. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The firm I worked at when I left school had a '72 Buffalo unit… When the cab tilted the seat and most of the floorpan went up as well. The steering column and wheel definitely stayed in the same position - at what point the join was I cannot remember! Twas a long time ago… :smiley:

Piston broke:

[zb]
anorak:

The firm I worked at when I left school had a '72 Buffalo unit… When the cab tilted the seat and most of the floorpan went up as well. The steering column and wheel definitely stayed in the same position - at what point the join was I cannot remember! Twas a long time ago… :smiley:

This would be safer than the original fixed-seat idea, if you regard decapitation as a worse fate than castration by steering wheel! Presumably, there was an elongated hole for the steering column to pass through, with some sort of gaiter or a removable plate to seal it up. No doubt someone will provide the answer.

Ramone’s earlier question regarding the Marathon cab now makes more sense- why indeed, if Leyland were ditching the fixed-seat idea for the 500 range, did they bother to engineer the fixed steering column arrangement, when they had a full tilt cab almost ready for production?

gingerfold:
The Edict came down the line from Leyland headquarters that the Ergo cab had to be used. A contract for 30,000 cabs had been agreed with Sankeys. also remember CF that when the new Ergo cab was on display at the 1964 Commercial Vehicle Show it was a stunning development compared with what many other British manufacturers had at the time. The inherent flaws with the design were unknown at the time. It took all the headlines and was seen as a show stopper that everyone wanted. Sales of Ergo cabbed models made by Leyland, AEC and Albion, were huge from 1965 (when first available) to about 1970 with very long waiting lists for delivery.

Also Leyland was always the senior partner within the AEC / Leyland merger (Leyland takeover is a better description). Leyland was a sales dominated organisation, AEC was more of an engineer led company (through is origins as the London General Omnibus Company where sales outside of London were not that vital to the AEC’s success prior to 1932). In any commercial organisation sales management will usually have the last word over engineering and / or production management.

It’s that description which probably explains the type of difference in thinking between what the engineers would have wanted to do v the bankers/bean counters and the suits in Leyland’s upper management etc :question: . :bulb:

I think it probably would have been an eye opener to those engineers to have worked in the more specialist sectors of the industry where it was design and engineering which took precedence over all else and an ethos in which the idea wasn’t to base design on what ‘others’ in the uk industry were doing which were mostly based on the outdated thinking of the domestic customer base with,as usual,the undertone of ‘austerity’ being the order of the day.As opposed to a clean sheet with no regard whatsoever to what was going on in the rest of the domestic market.In which case what was needed was something ( a lot ) more and better than just ( what seemed like ) a ‘stunning good idea’ at the time based on the standards of the uk domestic market as it stood at the time.In which case it probably would have been an AEC along these lines not the ERGO.In which case those show reviews would probably have been AEC takes a massive lead over it’s competition using American influence. :bulb:

motorstown.com/images/aec-mandator-04.jpg :unamused:

athsvancouverislandchapter.c … 2010/46-5/ :smiley:

Which,as a previous poster mentioned,leaves the example of Scammell.It’s probably no coincidence that Leyland didn’t seem to have the same amount of control over what Scammell were doing and the Crusader seemed to be a lot closer to that American ideal than the ERGO was.If only Scammell’s engineers had just gone that bit further by scrapping the idea of the fixed cab with the sleeper being an after thought and based it on US tilt cab technology instead.

However that still leaves the question as to how Scammell managed to keep more autonomy to do it’s own thing under Leyland than AEC seems to have done.In which case had AEC managed to do the same it’s my bet that maybe we’d have seen some US type tilt cab over designs making it into production in time to meet the euro/scandinavian invasion head on.Notwithstanding that Scammell’s engineers seem to have proven that their cab over design beats a primitive,underdeveloped,zb tilt cab over one,considering the levels of backward austerity thinking by all concerned,which existed in the uk domestic market and unfortunately which is what was driving most of the uk truck manufacturing industry at the time. :bulb:

flickr.com/photos/69211511@N04/7403644126/

I dont think that the Albion version tipped at all, certainly one we had for a while (an ex Oxted Greystone Lime tanker for internal duties) was fixed with one piece front mudguards. Talking about tilting by accident, I remember a Leyland T45 eight wheeler tanker of Via Gelia Transport losing the cab completely when coming into the quarry, the cab was sitting in the road in front of the chassis! :open_mouth:

Pete.

Re high datum “Ergos” a small section of floor pan with pedals & steering column/instrument binnacle remained attached to the chassis when the cab was tilted, some early high datum “Ergos” Bisons,Bears etc were non tiltable(if you knew what you were doing it could be done just had to make sure the cab was was not dropped face first on the floor!)later versions all were tiltable (undo the 1/2" spring loaded bolts & pump away)reason that it was not made a full tilt was a major redesign of steering gear& instrument binnacle would have been required as this had a lot of electricals&fuse board etc by the steering column ,a massive redesign would have been required, enter the “Marathon” (or catch me if you can Swedish boy!)

Carryfast:
It’s that description which probably explains the type of difference in thinking between what the engineers would have wanted to do v the bankers/bean counters and the suits in Leyland’s upper management etc .

Whatever the faults of the Ergo (too small, over-conservative design of tilting facility, ■■■■-up with the floorpan pressing), do not make the lazy assumption that they were due to corner-cutting by cost-obsessed senior management. The Ergo was the most lavish engineering project ever to give birth to a lorry cab, anywhere in the world, in its day:

1. The styling was Michelotti’s best work- every detail, down to the corner radii of the quarterlight, shows thought and care. Look at his other work in the same period- the cheesegrater Scammell, the Triumph Herald and a few dodgy concept cars. Those were his ■■■-packet sketches; Leyland commanded his attention and pride like no other firm, when it commissioned him to design the Ergo.
  2. What other lorry builder would instigate a proper study of ergonomics, by proper engineers, when laying out the interior? Not even the sophisticated Continentals invested this much work in the job.
  3. Compare the complexity of the door skin, windscreen surround and roof panel on an Ergo to those on an LB110. Any presswork designer will tell you that features add rigidity and strength. Any press-tool manufacturer will tell you that they also add cost.

If you are looking for a reason for the Ergo’s failings, particularly its size, consider Donald Stokes’ well-documented fear of competing in Europe. Is it too much of a coincidence, to guess that he ensured that the cab was aimed squarely at the British market, with its insistence on austerity?

some says a britt draw the lb scania? ironic? cheersbenkku