Berliet

Newly restored in South of France, wine tanker.

Berliet GLM10M2 from 1961.

Berliet Stradair 10 with Perkins engine type 4.236 :

GAK 5 year 1963:

Old Berliet Truck sign which has been in my Dads Garage since mid 70’s

Michel, seeing your pic of the Stradair 10 reminded me of seeing one on the Periferique years ago in traffic having an argument with a Peugeot 504 or similar estate car who had obviously upset the truck driver who proceeded to push the Peugeot down the road although the driver was standing on the brakes to no avail with all 4 tyres smoking. On another note, one of the first Berliet TR350’s in the country was owned in 1975 by JMM international of Buckingham doing mainly Italy but I can’t remember if it was r/h or left hand drive, all our other trucks were right hand Volvo’s except for the F89 I drove.

michel:
Newly restored in South of France, wine tanker.

Berliet GLM10M2 from 1961.

Evening Gentlemen,

Michel that is an exquisite restoration of a Berliet GLM 10 M2 wine tanker. Is that a tank manufactured by Coder? Their tanks had such style.

The GLMs were built from 1960 to 1964, and were a “premium” specification. Powered by the M620Z 6 cylinder 9.5 litre giving 180 hp @2100 rpm, and the 5 speed splitter FBO gearbox. I seem to remember these 19 tonners, (4x2), could easily run at 75 kph on their 1200x20s. (Used to give me quite an inferiority complex when I parked my “little” S20 Foden, with its 4 LK Gardner along side them at Routiers…But the French drivers were always interested in my Foden, particularly the speedometer in the centre of the steering wheel !

But the Stradair…what a ground breaking design…perhaps a bridge too far, but an incredible design…and originally the “big” version would have had ■■■■■■■ V power…just like the Guy Big J…Another story, for another time…

Cheerio for now.

slightly off topic , but a revived memory of the foden speedo in the middle of the wheel . mine was an ageing fg model , the speedo wasn’t connected to anything , not that it mattered , the old girl topped out around 34mph . i could lift the clock of and keep the ■■■■ and matches there , saved them bouncing onto the floor . cheers , dave

This is a Stradair 70 with a Berliet V8 engine (not a GM nor ■■■■■■■ one).Power was 170 hp ,6,92 capacity,and this example was used by Berliet own transport division. It’s now in the hands of a well known old trucks collector in the Alps who will to restore it.
img11.hostingpics.net/pics/41228 … dairV8.jpg[/img][/url]

Here a Stradair 70 which was never in production, this ewample is now in the ownership of a collector in the Alps who will restore it.
Engine is a true V8 Berliet (not a GM nor a ■■■■■■■■ of 6,92 capacity and 170 hp.The truck was in the own Berliet fleet to deliver parts exchange between factories.
://www

Sorry, the real typ is Stradair 55 from 1971, only 5 exemplars were built 2 of which were tractors.Notice the hub reduction rear axle.

The same engine was also in some of the Cruisair buses .

Not trucks, but does anyone know where this beauty can be found. I think she dates from 1913 and I took these photos in Dover docks around 1976.

Jazzandy:
Not trucks, but does anyone know where this beauty can be found. I think she dates from 1913 and I took these photos in Dover docks around 1976.

Evening all,

jazzandy that is a poser! Was she inbound, or outbound?

She is minus her top deck. The registration I would suggest is a “show” one.

But Bristol Carriage and Tramway did run a large number of Berliet buses, (as they did Fiat, and Thornycroft), in the 1900s.

George White was the Managing Director of the merged Bristol Carriage and Tramway.

Berliet car bus, and lorry chassis were exhibited by J Hutton of Shaftesbury Avenue London, at the 1905 Motor Show.

By 1920 the main importer was L C Rowlence who had operations in Sackville Street, and Blackville Street, London W1. They were also importers of Italy`s OM, Saxon, (from the USA), and Latil, (whose works at Sursenses were where I was based in my early days with Saviem).

So she is a girl of ,(perhaps), 1913, which would make her a 60hp chassis, but who built the bodywork? …Bristol Carriage and Tramway, at their Brislington works? But in 1907 they had started to manufacture their own vehicles, and by 1932 they had been taken into a partnership with Thomas Tilling.

None of which answers your question at all!!!

So the key is which way was she going?..if it was outwards…try the Foundation Marius Berliet…if inwards…maybe some psv enthusiast can help…

Sorry for the ramble around the railway sidings of my mind!

Cheerio for now.

That magnificent vehicle was in the Berliet Collection in Lyon when I visited it in 2003

The body is possibly by United Electric Car Company. They built them on a batch of three delivered in 1909.

I photographed it in the import park in Eastern docks so maybe it was coming over for an event of some kind.

Typical “pinardier” Berliet TLM10M with Titan semi-trailer single big tyres.

You could see it in the “Usine Aillot” museum in Montceau les Mines not far from Chalons sur Saone in Burgundy.

Berliets…click on pic for full view

3168106504_1_4_XaF2CIKW.jpg

3163024570_1_2_AqE8REF5.jpg

3061311161_2_3_8ks0yoyC.jpg

3061990057_2_3_Higc78DQ.jpg

3022744746_2_3_TT6fRYj0.jpg

Berliet GLM10R with a Teilhol body ,in the background a Stradair Berliet.

This 1969 Berliet GR 200 is longing for a new owner, some 20 kms from where I live. Fitted with the 180 bhp (SAE) 9,8 litre M 620 engine, and a ZF gearbox; in running order. It was at work until 2007 on a farm and stored indoor until it was taken out some 2 years ago. It definitely deserves being preserved, but we’re in France and it might as well go for scrap…

The inside, in perfect original condition. The GR/TR series were fitted with the wide “Relaxe” cab, introduced in 1959 with the GPRK Michel showed us previously.

A fine TLR 12 on exhibition in Avignon in March 2015.

TBO 15 M3 dating from 1966, one of the last Berliet fitted with the narrow “M” cab. Initially powered with the 240 bhp 14.8 litres MDO engine, it was re-engined with a 250 bhp ■■■■■■■■ Seen here in 2010 at the la Ferté-Alais show, it had remained at regular work until the mid-2000s.