Being advised to break the law

Last October…

Digit369:
Hi

I’m currently doing my class one then after I’m going to do my cpc transport manager course
I know it’s a way off but I live in Southampton and want to work as a subbie. I know I need to get experience first so will work for some one first. Does any one know can you get the finance on the truck I’m looking at 40k but I have no garuntoor or morgtage so not sure if bank would give me the finance. Could I work as a ltd co driver for a few years and save up say 14k for o licence and insurance, will the bank see I can manage the funds right then give me the ok.

How much can you get out of a truck a day pm or do you day hire it?
Is it return loads you need?

Thanks in advance:-)

And you’re now complaining about being expected to work on break which is pretty much what you’d be doing as an O/D?

Finally worked out you don’t know your arse from your elbow and that you’re nowhere near ready to run your own motor?

Conor:
Last October…

Digit369:
Hi

I’m currently doing my class one then after I’m going to do my cpc transport manager course
I know it’s a way off but I live in Southampton and want to work as a subbie. I know I need to get experience first so will work for some one first. Does any one know can you get the finance on the truck I’m looking at 40k but I have no garuntoor or morgtage so not sure if bank would give me the finance. Could I work as a ltd co driver for a few years and save up say 14k for o licence and insurance, will the bank see I can manage the funds right then give me the ok.

And you’re now complaining about being expected to work on break which is pretty much what you’d be doing as an O/D?

Finally worked out you don’t know your arse from your elbow and that you’re nowhere near ready to run your own motor?

Maybe he should retrain as a registered nurse?

£40k finance when just starting out?! Sod the interest on that, buy cheap second hand and outright.
Re other work on break, its common place, saves time. Are you sure you still want to be an O/D OP?

the nodding donkey:

Conor:
Last October…

Digit369:
Hi

Maybe he should retrain as a registered nurse?

Bout spat my tea out haha.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Many drivers complain about this industry, yet are so happy to advise others about not taking a break, …take the card out…put it on break when your working…no wonder the industry is is going no where. If you are given more work than you can handle legally…take the drops back…if your told to ask other drivers how they work illegally…yet showing proof of legality : then dont do it…just remember its your licence, your loss…just do the job as it supposed to be done, and dont give a monkeys about what others do…personally i would call vosa, tel them to do some checks at so and so depot…and watch how things change…

I am now waiting to see who is gonna slate me off as being a grass etc etc…surely they can see its the way to straighten out this industry, by doing a job as it should be done.

Couldn’t agree more with the post above.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

truckyboy:
Many drivers complain about this industry, yet are so happy to advise others about not taking a break, …take the card out…put it on break when your working…no wonder the industry is is going no where. If you are given more work than you can handle legally…take the drops back…if your told to ask other drivers how they work illegally…yet showing proof of legality : then dont do it…just remember its your licence, your loss…just do the job as it supposed to be done, and dont give a monkeys about what others do…personally i would call vosa, tel them to do some checks at so and so depot…and watch how things change…

I am now waiting to see who is gonna slate me off as being a grass etc etc…surely they can see its the way to straighten out this industry, by doing a job as it should be done.

Im an O/D so please myself what i do but work the tacho to my advantage, if im on groupage helping to unload ill stick it on break to save time and if i feel like it later (within driving hours) ill take a break when it suits me, no harm done. Same as trailer swops at Reims/Calais, if im not tired and dont need to sit around for 45 again its on break while changing over. Any tacho downloads will always show im within the law and have NEVER been pulled for any infringements apart from speeding. Theres 67 employed drivers at our place plus 17 subbies, me being one of them and we ALL without exception work the same way. What some need to realise in the UK is that DVSA dont own you, theres no need to continually look over your shoulder worrying about being prosecuted for every tiny little misdemeanour…sod doing it to the letter of the law, as long as your card shows no infringements then work the rules to your advantage and as you see fit!

AndrewG:
What some need to realise in the UK is that DVSA dont own you, theres no need to continually look over your shoulder worrying about being prosecuted for every tiny little misdemeanour…sod doing it to the letter of the law, as long as your card shows no infringements then work the rules to your advantage and as you see fit!

Imagine the original poster has taken his card out, and swapped a trailer, and entered a break for the whole period. Now imagine he sets off, and halfway back he makes an everyday blunder but unfortunately causes an accident. Imagine it’s a serious accident, fatal even. When the DVSA read his tachograph they will ask a lot of questions about that card ejection, the missing half-km the vehicle covered during that time, and an investigation will analyse the swathe of cctv covering the yard. In this instance his card may well show no infringements, but cameras, witness statements, and lack of supportive alibis will uncover something much worse. The DVSA may not own him, but the traffic commissioner and full weight of the law will.

He’s a liability to himself and others and it’s not even working in his interests, as they dock him 45 minutes pay :unamused: and before anybody questions the likelihood of causing an accident, that’s what every driver who caused an accident probably pondered too.

AndrewG:
What some need to realise in the UK is that DVSA dont own you, theres no need to continually look over your shoulder worrying about being prosecuted for every tiny little misdemeanour…sod doing it to the letter of the law, as long as your card shows no infringements then work the rules to your advantage and as you see fit!

Andrew, there are times you talk sense and times you talk out of your arse. This is the latter. DVSA will take action if they are seeing regular questionable behaviour and are now targeting the overnight carriers after successfully prosecuting Tufnells a couple of months back.

The Op did it right first time and wrong the second. If you need a break, take it. If some jobsworth tells you to move, ignore them. You are the one with the keys, it’s your decision.

And before y’all jump on the ‘walk the other walk talk the talk’ thing, I have put my money where my mouth is on this. Fired by UPS supply chain for refusing to work during daily rest, still over £100 owed to me by Rhys Davies because I refused to do a job that the vehicle was not suitable for, (I’d failed the drop previously because the truck was too big to get into the delivery point). Refuse all Stobart Group and ESL work because of continued indirect pressure to break drivers hours Rules. All while on agency.

If you have a good agency they will back you up. If you don’t, ditch em and find one that will.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

And we wonder why the job is feuckeeeed, ■■■■■ like you should not hold a licence, if you have to ask these stupid questions, you should not be allowed out on the road, how did you pass your test, you sound like a ■■■■■■ ■■■■■■ inbred, go and get a job with stobarts,you should fit right in, if in doubt, look up dozy in this forum.

Sapper

Did the police take any action against you?

m1cks:
Did the police take any action against you?

That will depend if they accept driver stupidity, and take it into considerstion as a line of defence. :unamused:
I’m with sapper on this.

Come on Sapper, and to a lesser extent Robroy. We were all new and nieve once. I can’t believe now, looking back, how long it took me to get to grips with the drivers hours and WTDRT.

The problem is with the training, all the Module 1, 2 and 4 tests teach you are the very basics because the government is more concerned with making sure you can operate the equipment safely than that you can do base 60 maths instinctively.

nsmith1180:
Come on Sapper, and to a lesser extent Robroy. We were all new and nieve once. I can’t believe now, looking back, how long it took me to get to grips with the drivers hours and WTDRT.

The problem is with the training, all the Module 1, 2 and 4 tests teach you are the very basics because the government is more concerned with making sure you can operate the equipment safely than that you can do base 60 maths instinctively.

The bigger problem is employers taking advantage of naive and ill informed drivers. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the RDC rubbish being spouted wasn’t started by employers.!

nsmith1180:

He wasn’t naive in as much as he did not know he was doing wrong was he? He knew exactly what he was doing, (unless of course I have read it wrong.)

I know it’s easier for the likes of me with a bit of experience to go and tell someone to ■■■■ off, than it is for a realtively new guy.
But his own common sense should have made him decide between the lesser of the two…■■■■■■■ off some jumped up self important little 2at in a warehouse by taking his break, or risking.worse case scenario,… having an accident while over his driving time :bulb: , the ultimate risk being jail, depending on how serious that accident was. :bulb:
A bit dramatic to stress my point, yeh, but nevertheless accurate.

This wouldn’t happen if old hands took noobs under their wing like the old days.

Digit you will become your own worst enemy, regardless of timed deliveries a drivers priority is staying legal, don’t turn up on a job with barely any driving test it’s amateur and agency.

PM me a picture of yourself in a mankini and I will show you the more pleasurable type of manual entry to perform an illegal act.

The jobs what you make it, be the captain of your ship not just a gay sailor.
No offence to gay sailors intended.

It’s not the point of what works for you it’s the law and I’m responceable for what I’m doing And like many other drivers are pressured by the customer to do things that are bent. And they don’t care if I get a infringement and more to the point if I had a accident a fatal one it would me who get the book thrown at me. It’s wrong on every level the reason is that the workers at this place are on a deal where the get job and knock so there putting it on break to work through and get the job done so they can go home. The agency spoke to the client and they told the agency to pull the card then the agency told me to do this the agency phoned another driver and was told that if the card is pulled it should be for 3hrsI was so ■■■■■■ off and the next day I was so tired I did not go inn they was still willing to let me take that double decker out on the road when I said I was tired thank god I have common scence and refused and in fact they should not of even asked me again to come in its pressure. The run is clearly so tight it’s not safe unlesss you bend the law and profit from it whilst putting people’s life’s at risk. I’ve got 20 min infringement and lost £400 in wages. And yes I’m fairly new but that should not be a excuse to bully me to break the law. Starting st a new place next week
So hopefully will get on better there

sapper:
And we wonder why the job is feuckeeeed, [zb] like you should not hold a licence, if you have to ask these stupid questions, you should not be allowed out on the road, how did you pass your test, you sound like a [zb] ■■■■■■ inbred, go and get a job with stobarts,you should fit right in, if in doubt, look up dozy in this forum.

Sapper

Calm down Cov. :sunglasses:

Digit369:
It’s not the point of what works for you it’s the law and I’m responceable for what I’m doing And like many other drivers are pressured by the customer to do things that are bent. And they don’t care if I get a infringement and more to the point if I had a accident a fatal one it would me who get the book thrown at me.

Hang on, who pressured you to set off onto the motorway with only 30 mins drive time left?
i.e. What stopped you from pulling out their yard and resetting your drive time?

I think you need to stop blaming others and shoulder a bit of responsibility pal…
Yes the job may have been crap, so you jack it in and move on, end of story!

Dipper_Dave:
This wouldn’t happen if old hands took noobs under their wing like the old days.

This 100%
My “old hand” always told me…“you dont see a plumber abusing his wrench, so why would you abuse your tool of the trade aka your licence!”
I always pass that pearl of wisdom onto newbies.