Been told i have to go

I had another thread up the other day about multidrop and how i was struggling to get everything done everyday and that ive only been driving trucks for a few months.

but the last two days have been very busy and I haven’t been able to get everything done and missed a couple of deliverys and collections. yesterday I let the office know how I was getting on throughout the day and told them I didn’t think I would make it to one of the collections in time and they said that was fine and they would get someone else to collect it.

I kept going and got everything done except one delivery and the only reason I missed it is because im driving a 14 year old lorry that is completely unroadworthy and the metal strut that the rear lights are screwed on to fell off the chassis as it was rotten with rust and was breaking up in my hand like chocolate as I tried to tie it back on with a piece of twine. then a while later it wouldn’t start because the starter was playing up so I had to lift the cab and hit it a few times with a vice grips. this all cost me at least a half hour as I had to go into a school and find a caretaker to get the piece of twine off aswell but I let the office know all of this and that was ok.

when I got back to the yard the boss called me In to the office and told me that I wasn’t getting enough done and missing the collections and deliveries was unacceptable and im not much use to him going forward into the busy Christmas period and I should be well able to get a lorry emptied and filled again in a day because im here now nearly 4 months.

I explained to him that there was only so much I could do in a day and still be safe and legal at the same time and I wasn’t willing to risk causing an accident by trying to rush everything.
he then said that everyone else is able to get everything done in a day, why cant I? I then reminded him these are lads that have been driving 15+ years and are very experienced in this type of work and im not. And I know for a fact that they don’t take a proper break and drive like lunitics because they’ve told me this themselves, most of them don’t even bother with tachographs.

nothing I said made any difference and he said if I could make a improvement over the next couple of weeks I could stay but I told him that I couldn’t possibly do much more and that id be lying if I said I could.

im not going to resign as I feel that ive done nothing wrong and I honestly thought I was doing well because Ive been able to do everything that was asked of me up to now, im never late, Ive not missed a day yet and I look after the lorries and haven’t put as much as a scratch on one of them yet so I feel like they are being very unfair and im just going to keep on going in until the day that he actually tells me to leave. I hope this has happened for a reason and I will move onto working for a good company that will treat me with respect and give me a half decent lorry to drive because if this is what haulage companys are like then im going back to work in the paint shop.

I feel for you but don’t resign keep going, but saying that it doesn’t sound like the sort of company i’d want to work for so get out there and do some job hunting and make sure you keep legal as it’s your licence remember not his.

You can only physically do what you can do jay,as long as your pulling your weight and keeping it legal. Just don’t give him any legal reason to sack you, on the other hand,if your not enjoying it,leave. Life’s too short.

I am going to look for another job but Im not 25 yet and I havnt got much experience so its going to be hard to get someone to take me on, It took nearly two years of looking to get into the job im in so its not that straight forward unfortunatly.

Stick with it. No matter how hard it gets, you’re gaining valuable experience. Also, when applying for other jobs, candidates who seem to ‘job hop’ won’t be seen as favourable as those with long service. If you were a company would you train someone who only plans to stay a few months.
Four months isn’t long and you may still speed up to a standard he becomes happy with. He could also have been having a bad day and things may be different come Monday.
Whatever happens, good luck.

just remember every day is another day of experience in your pocket for future interviews ,and at least when you land your dream job ,you will appreciate it all the more …People who start at the bottom and work there way up are always better and more appreciative than those who start in the brand new top of the range truck in general…You never know you may one day look back on this experience with appreciation …or is that ast bit going to far :smiley:

how you describe the company and drivers he has it’s a wonder he hasn’t lost his O Licence! chin up mate their are better companys and people to work for than this ■■■■■■ and his ten bob company out there and not all of them are mult drop and collections that you just can’t do in a day.

I agree with what others are saying, keep going as long as you can or until you find something better, every day you’re there you’re gaining experience that will hopefully help you when you do find a decent job.

Where are you based?

Do you have a class one?

I wouldn’t quit, but I’d be looking for another job shapish. This ■■■■■■■■ doesn’t deserve to have an employee who is a professional as you, it’s not worth risking your licence to get his workload done, it cost too much to get! Any experience is better than none, you will be ok just don’t walk out and then find another job and leave.

Good luck

Thetaff2:
Where are you based?

Do you have a class one?

yes I have a class one but im in Ireland which probably explains a lot.

thanks for all the replies, if im to take a positive out of it all its that ive learned a lot over the last few months that im sure I wouldn’t have if I was driving for some of the better companys.

■■■■ them, sounds like a ■■■■ place to work anyway.

jay0:
…im driving a 14 year old lorry that is completely unroadworthy…

:open_mouth:

The most useful thing you have learned whilst working for these clowns is that there are a lot of crap firms out there. Try to put your current situation behind you and move on.

jay0:

NewLad:
This [zb] doesn’t deserve to have an employee who is a professional as you…

:laughing:

Contraflow:

jay0:

NewLad:
This [zb] doesn’t deserve to have an employee who is a professional as you…

:laughing:

I know I should have refused to drive it in hindsight but it was either drive it or walk out the gate and i have bills to pay. he said its been taken off the road from Monday so i don’t have to worry about it anymore.

And when I say it was unroadworthy that is only my opinion of it .

It seems worrying that you took an unroadworthy vehicle on the road and risk the fines and penalty points for someone elses old banger.If stopped by the police the first thing the boss would say is the truck was ok before you drove it out the gate.
Have a search for other COMPANIES.

Stick with it and keep notes of incidents in case things get nasty. When you get to the interview stage with a decent company you will be able to say that the job was awful, but you decided to put up with it simply for the extra experience and because you are not a quitter, but you have heard good things about this new lot. You feel that your perseverance in difficult circumstances and determination to continue doing the job legally, rather than joining the lemmings, proves that you have a lot to offer them.

If the truck comes off in your hand like chocolate it will with Vosa. What disturbs me these days is no one stands up for themselves when asked to do something or drive something “dodgy”. I’ve got a family or a mortgage, I need experience, are some of the excuses people use for doing it. Its wrong. Its your licence to lose don’t allow someone else to lose it for you. I understand the need for experience and a job, but don’t let that cloud your judgement. If they expect you to do something illegal either on the driving front or using unroadworthy vehicles, there not worth working for, agency or firm. Get advice from a union or citizens advice about them not paying you the full hours. We all make mistakes including the ■■■■■ in the office who wouldn’t know one end of a truck from another, and usually don’t have a licence(These days).

Don’t, don’t don’t let this muppet put you under pressure or the next thing you know your licence will be loaded with points or even worse.

Turn up on time, smile at the right people and do what you can reasonably do within the confines of the law and what is safe. NEVER speed, NEVER break the hours rules and remember to use the word “no” where appropriate. Don’t feel pressured into splitting your breaks either, you are working hard so need a decent rest during the day so make sure you take your full 45 break in one lump.
If he does eventually sack you then cause him as much hassle as you possibly can by making a few phone calls to the relevant authorities.