Auto vs Manual

yourhavingalarf:

Carryfast:
therefore cooler brakes and less potential for roll overs for example

Brake fade…

Has nothing to do with rolling a lorry over.

Too much speed on approach, load shift,vehicle component failure (open to argument) and kerb clipping are the main causes.

Do you know anything at all about lorries?

OMG Carryfast stop talking drivel.

Brake fade on a downward slope approaching a roundabout could easily cause a rollover … if you insisted on going around it instead of over it !!

raymundo:
Brake fade on a downward slope approaching a roundabout could easily cause a rollover … if you insisted on going around it instead of over it !!

Hardly fella if a vehicle is driven correctly on a downward slope there should never be brake fade unless the brakes have a fault.

Brake fade may be caused by a driver approaching at too high a speed or not using his gears correctly and of course correct use of exhaust brake needs to be applied if it’s not automatic.

These faults may cause a roll over.

Carryfast:
Although to be fair synchro manual boxes are probably more likely to create that situation than someone using an I shift in manual mode.

Have you ever driven a truck with an auto box or automated manual transmission as it should be called, let alone a Volvo with Ishift?

yourhavingalarf:
…Volvo F10/12 ■■■■ sounding air clutch with 16 gears…

:laughing: :laughing: I`d forgotten about that sound! Very true.

yourhavingalarf:
Volvo F10/12 ■■■■ sounding air clutch with 16 gears.

One great sounding gearchange if there ever was one! Tried in vain to get my FH700 specced with a manual to no avail :frowning:

bullitt:

yourhavingalarf:
…Volvo F10/12 ■■■■ sounding air clutch with 16 gears…

[emoji38] [emoji38] I`d forgotten about that sound! Very true.

I took my 5 year old grandson with me on Friday last and all evening he was going “Tish” made me laugh.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Dr Damon:
if a vehicle is driven correctly on a downward slope there should never be brake fade unless the brakes have a fault.

A driver will ‘have’ to drive a manual constant mesh box ‘correctly’ on the approach,by getting the road speed right,or they’ll be left without a gear when it’s time to pull away.

High brake temperatures,including possibly fade,can be created approaching anything uphill,downhill or on the flat given a high enough approach speed and late enough braking.Modern day drivers raised on the idea on just brake and go, because the gears will look after themselves,obviously facilitating such muppetry.

When the best compromise from the employers’ and good driving point of view would just be a standard Fuller 18 speed with auto rev match facility.Job done.

Dr Damon:
Brake fade may be caused by a driver approaching at too high a speed or not using his gears correctly and of course correct use of exhaust brake needs to be applied if it’s not automatic.

These faults may cause a roll over.

How can a driver ‘use the gears correctly’ when all he knows or wants to know is brake and go because it’s an ‘auto’.Which is the point. :unamused:

muckles:

Carryfast:
Although to be fair synchro manual boxes are probably more likely to create that situation than someone using an I shift in manual mode.

Have you ever driven a truck with an auto box or automated manual transmission as it should be called, let alone a Volvo with Ishift?

Will semi auto Allison torque converter do.Which at least means that the thing still needs to be braked properly on the approach.Unlike something made to pander to to the last of the late brakers and then let an auto sort it out or just ram a synchro box into the required gear and go type of driver.Which was my point.

Not many Auto boxes around when I was driving, Now crash boxes sorted the men out from the boys, you could hear a new driver or agency driver over half a mile away from the depot trying to shift gear lol. :grimacing:

UKtramp:
I can drive either, I prefer an auto for their ease of use. I don’t mind a manual for a bit of a change at times, but I do find a manual a pain in the arse in traffic and where you are stopping and starting a lot. I don’t see an advantage of a manual over an auto box, I think it is a personal preference of what you prefer much like some prefer Scania to a Renault. It doesn’t mean you cannot drive anything else. Anyone who can drive a manual car can adapt to a manual box on a lorry. A few gear crunches and a few missed gears during the day and off you go. There will be no doubt that some real driving mechanical experts can drive a manual box better than others and will prefer them, but that is all it is, a preference.

I can drive either, I should hope so dozy 2 if everything you claim you have done and you start a sentence with that got help us Walter

I’ve been driving a scania with a 4/4 gearbox for the last six months, bar the odd day on an auto.
Downhills and country lanes are much easier to navigate with a proper gear stick in my opinion. Uphills can be a right git fully loaded :smiley:
I’d be happy in a manual till I hang the keys up, traffic doesnt bother me now my legs are used to it again I dont often have sore knees at night. I find getting out and having a walk about during the day helps.

Dr Damon:
Accidents are not caused by manual or automatic gearboxes.
Accidents are caused by drivers not being in control of their particular vehicle.

Personally I have always preferred manual probably because I grew up with range change, splitters and the famous twin splitter.
I have driven autos as well and some more than others are capable of doing well if the drivers uses the auto correctly.
In my early days you were just given a vehicle and no matter what box was in it the driver had to work it out one way or another.
I feel some drivers are quite capable of this where others just do not have a clue.
Maybe now a days some vehicle training is given or should be?

I agree with your first bit about drivers and control.
It aint autoboxes that cause more accidents it’s crap drivers driving them that cause them.
I was ok with all gearboxes from David Browns to ZF synchros, because we knew nothing else.
The first ‘kind of’ auto box I briefly drove was a brand new 1981 X reg Scania 81, it was a bit experimental and a complete heap of ■■■■, the gear selector thingy looked like the undercarriage control of a Lancaster bomber, and they never took off.(no pun intended btw :smiley: )

Nowadays I prefer the ease of an autobox, nothing more to prove in driving trucks, and mastering boxes, so anything for a quieter easier life.

robroy:
Nowadays I prefer the ease of an autobox, nothing more to prove in driving trucks, and mastering boxes, so anything for a quieter easier life.

The I shift is a great box but given the choice 16 speed range change and splitter, i always found Volvos box so easy to use. The I shift is bordering on boring…

The acid test for me was when I went out and bought an automatic car. A day I thought I’d never see but I’d never go back to manual unless it was a car for trackdays I’d bought.

the maoster:
The acid test for me was when I went out and bought an automatic car. A day I thought I’d never see but I’d never go back to manual unless it was a car for trackdays I’d bought.

Same here I bought a automatic Ford Capri in 1972 & I’ve never had a manual car since. :slight_smile:

lancpudn:
Not many Auto boxes around when I was driving, Now crash boxes sorted the men out from the boys, you could hear a new driver or agency driver over half a mile away from the depot trying to shift gear lol. :grimacing:

You could also hear the fitters swearing every time they had to rebuild a knackered one!

I wonder if a lot of the resistance to automatics is as a result of more experienced and older drivers harking back to the days when there was, undoubtedly, a lot more learning to be done simply to be able to drive a lorry. Like many on here, I’ve driven lorries with boxes ranging from old David Brown 6-speeds with Eaton 2-speed axle, Fuller Road-rangers, Eaton Twin-Splits, ZF’s and every ■■■■ thing else. So I know HOW to drive the old-fashioned way, and having the odd day at it is fun; but I wouldn’t want to do it every day any more than I’d want to go back to roping and sheeting a flatbed in a ■■■■■■■ gale.

Sidevalve:

lancpudn:

You could also hear the fitters swearing every time they had to rebuild a knackered one!

I wonder if a lot of the resistance to automatics is as a result of more experienced and older drivers harking back to the days when there was, undoubtedly, a lot more learning to be done simply to be able to drive a lorry. Like many on here, I’ve driven lorries with boxes ranging from old David Brown 6-speeds with Eaton 2-speed axle, Fuller Road-rangers, Eaton Twin-Splits, ZF’s and every ■■■■ thing else. So I know HOW to drive the old-fashioned way, and having the odd day at it is fun; but I wouldn’t want to do it every day any more than I’d want to go back to roping and sheeting a flatbed in a ■■■■■■■ gale.

You’re right of course, nobody would want to go back to those gearboxes or roping & sheeting flatbeds. It was hard work day in day out. I remember a new driver saying that the gearbox was ****ed as I was hitching up to the trailer next to him, I took it around the yard & it was fine, I explained to him it was a crash box & you had to match the revs with the speed before changing gear, He said are there any other lorries LOL.