Astran / Middle East Drivers

Came across this YouTube video of Hungarocamion

Top Boys & doing it during the Commy Regime too

whisperingsmith:
Came across this YouTube video of Hungarocamion

Top Boys & doing it during the Commy Regime too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe7Qs5XUD_s

Hey,

Till a year or 2 again, a lot of Hungaro video’s were on the net, pitty most disapeared, but are standing on the Hungarocamion forum.
You can seethem if you are logged in, pitty only Ungarian language to register.

Eric,

I have mentioned this some time ago but a treasured memory of the Hungo’s - I went into their depot at Gyor and asked to use the Telex and was made most welcome and was welcomed in there anytime - Great poeple,

PanX:
Great to see a little activity on this thread. Post anything interesting before it fades away …like a lot of the old Truck drivers on here from yesteryear…
By the way… I need a little help …looking for some contact details for Billy ( it’s hard to be humble ) when I drive a white…Hall… In your dreams Bill…
And also Micky ( yeah I’ll have another, TJFLGP ) Butler…ex PIE, Pan Express…

Thanks

Mick B

Hi PanX/Mick
Bill Hall’s correct name is Ludlow Hensley Hall, he was living somewhere out Windsor way if I remember correctly. When he hung up his clogs and keys to the White he set up a van courier business out of the Heathrow area. I did many trips with Bill.

Empty in Doha.

BlackBillyposingnexttoourtrucksi-1.jpg

Londra Camp

SWScan00091BillHallattheLondra.jpg

Easter @ Oktay T.I.R. Parking

SWScan00099.jpg

And lets not forget Neville Adams and his White.

MeandBlackNevilleinBulgyWOO704S.jpg

Astrans clipping. Click on twice to read.

Tehran in 1975,we shipped out of Felixstowe end of August did the train in Germany then Austria Yugoslavia,Bulgaria turkey stopped off at the Harem for 2 days and slept in a proper Bed and enjoyed the pool . We carried on across turkey where we hit the queue for the Bazergan border it took 2.5days to get through once through into Iran we headed for Tehran now I have question my dad told me As we came down a road toward a village /town the road deceives you , you think it’s going 1way but actually goes another and from memory there was a dish shaped fountain and he explained that possibly 3 Dutch drawbar trucks hit this fountain 1 took off ripping all axles off , another saw what happened took evasive action but finished up demolishing a house and the 3rd went between 2 houses and demolished them unfortunately there were a lot of fatalities could anybody confirm wether all or part of this is true , also after sitting at the Tehransnew customs for nearly a week, one stand pipe for water and talcum powder dusty conditions we moved to the international trade fair being held there (sept-Oct 75) we made camp and stayed approx 2 weeks for backload to GB via Astran, sorry for going on but after all these years I’ve often wondered I’m sure when we drove past the spot there was remains of the trucks still there. Ps I was 14 at the time and 57 so memory may have faded cheers for now

DEANB:
Astrans clipping. Click on twice to read.

Another DeanB special. Thanks Dean.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It’s a long old trip down to Muscat! I remember Astran driver Frank Hook once telling me he drove right down to Salallah in southern Oman. I wander if he was driving this one. Robert

PanX:
Great to see a little activity on this thread. Post anything interesting before it fades away …like a lot of the old Truck drivers on here from yesteryear…
By the way… I need a little help …looking for some contact details for Billy ( it’s hard to be humble ) when I drive a white…Hall… In your dreams Bill…
And also Micky ( yeah I’ll have another, TJFLGP ) Butler…ex PIE, Pan Express…

Thanks

Mick B

Going back a long time now, the last time I saw Butler was at a Donnington Park Truck Race shortly after I’d packed the job in, about 1988.

ERF-NGC-European:
It’s a long old trip down to Muscat! I remember Astran driver Frank Hook once telling me he drove right down to Salallah in southern Oman. I wander if he was driving this one. Rob

Hi Robert
I remember that Rick Ellis went to Salalah as well.

GS OVERLAND:

ERF-NGC-European:
It’s a long old trip down to Muscat! I remember Astran driver Frank Hook once telling me he drove right down to Salallah in southern Oman. I wander if he was driving this one. Rob

Hi Robert
I remember that Rick Ellis went to Salalah as well.

Perhaps they went together! Frank did say there were two trucks went. Cheers, Robert

Hello Gavin and Robert, below is a copy of a P.M. that Rick Ellis sent to me about eight years ago.

Roger
Sent: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:22 pm
To: mushroomman
Hi Steve

Trust all is well with you and yours. Regarding Roger being the first in Oman, I think he “May” have been the first for Astran but cannot be sure.
I remember 81ish I met Mick Moody in Adana who was on his way back from Muscat, it may have been for Whittle but again not sure. If my memory serves me right I think it was 82 or 83 when Astran first started running in there on the PDO / Royal Dutch Shell contract but for sure, there were some who went before them.

Take care and keep in touch

Rick
Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.

Reddesertfox

Rick did mention to me that he had been to Oman but I never got around to asking him if he ever went to the R.A.F. base that was there in Salalah at the time.
He did say that Oman was a spectacular country and I would certainly agree with him as we were lucky enough to go back there last month.

Regards Steve.

Nice one! ^^^^^ Yes, I agree it’s a spectacular country and about the only safe M/E left at the moment. I did visit Oman a few years ago (not with a lorry!). Here’s a couple of pics I took there. Robert

Hello Mushy
Long time no speak…Hope you are well.
It was Bob Paul that told me that Rick went to Salalah and I said that I would do the next one if and when the “next one” materialised. :wink: :smiley:

Click on page twice to read.

DEANB:

Excellent find Dean! I think that Marathon was a pre-production unit and did a trip or two for Astran. I’ve often wondered how it faired on those intitial M/E trips. I believe it is now preserved. Some insights are provided in the article. Robert

GS OVERLAND:
Hello Mushy
Long time no speak…Hope you are well.
It was Bob Paul that told me that Rick went to Salalah and I said that I would do the next one if and when the “next one” materialised. :wink: :smiley:

Hello Gavin, all is well with us in fact we have just spent the last couple of months travelling around crossing off quite a few things on our bucket list. :smiley:
You might remember or at least you might of heard, that one of the early Astran drivers was actually awarded a medal from the Sultan of Oman for delivering a load of something to somewhere in Oman.
Now I have a slight feeling that this might of been in the seventies and as far as I remember Rita didn’t start pulling for Astran until the early eighties. So who was the guy who received the medal and what was the year, I bet Ashley knows. :wink:

Regards Steve.

I know that Johnny Martin,Chris Beddow and Mike Pearce all got medals from the sultan when they were working driving Omani reg motors from Oman- UK-Oman with military supplies during the Oman\Yemen[Dohfar Campaign]in the mid 70’s. I knew these guys as they all came from Clacton[same as me] and i met them in Qatar in 1975.

DEANB:

Nice find Dean

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

> hutpik:
> I know that Johnny Martin,Chris Beddow and Mike Pearce all got medals from the sultan when they were working driving Omani reg motors from Oman- UK-Oman with military supplies during the Oman\Yemen[Dohfar Campaign]in the mid 70’s. I knew these guys as they all came from Clacton[same as me] and i met them in Qatar in 1975.

I remember running through Saudi from Halat Amar (1975) with one of theirs (Oman Defence Force) Good motors V10 Maggies Deutz
Pulling desert spec trailers from the UK for changeover to desert spec units in Qatar before the road was built across the sand

He had a puncture on a trailer tyre which was a 4 King monster super single - we were young fit & strong then
No way I could attempt such a job now