Astran / Middle East Drivers

Hi Fred, I mentioned this story on another thread a few years ago but just in case you missed it. :smiley:
I was at the front of the queue in the lanes at Dover one day in the early eighties waiting for an 11 a.m. freighter to Zeebrugge. When The Penguin asked for my ticket he said there is a very important person travelling on the boat with you today, when I asked him who it was he said I am not allowed to tell you. :unamused: When I drove on there was a large horse box and two Range Rovers already parked up. I went upstairs to have an early lunch and sat in the corner was Princess Anne with several other people. The rest of the drivers starting coming in and one or two of them went over to say hello (probably asking for a knighthood). She seemed friendly enough, she did talk to them and even mentioned that she would love to be a lorry driver travelling all over Europe. After about an hour there was a loud comment from a driver about “hangers on” but a couple of the other drivers soon made him shut up and shortly after this Anne and her friends paid a visit to the bridge and didn’t come back. I asked one of the drivers who had spoken to her where she was going and he said to some equestrian meeting somewhere in Belgium.

Take care Freddie, best regards Steve.

freshir:
Thanks Ron - Your country needs you, shut the gate on the way out - hav’nt heard from you for a while, hope you are keeping as well as can be expected - cheers old matey :slight_smile:

Thanks for your good wishes Fred. Actually I’m not too good at present. The tumour in my right lung has increased in size and giving me back ache. I believe I’m looking at months rather than years. Will be able to turn the tacho onto a “permanent break” then. Ah! maybe you don’t do that with these new digital tachographs!! :laughing: :laughing:

So sorry to hear of your setback Ron, my thoughts are with you mate, you seem to accepting the situation well, good luck old mate , regards Fred :frowning:

Nice story that Steve, I do remember your post from earlier, hope your keeping well mate, I have not heard from Barry for a time althouugh Val sends me emails that I do not open cos they have a thousand and one addresses on them where they have been round the globe three times and that is how virus’s are shared, regards to the family mate - see yer. :laughing:

Bloody Hell Ron,
I am really sorry to hear your news, that is terrible. Maria Lucia and I are thinking of you. My best wishes to you and Ruang at this very difficult time.

Hi Ron.That’s a bummer.Sorry to hear,hope that you are managing to still find a bit of enjoyment in ‘‘the land of smiles’’.Keep us all informed.
It’s getting bloody depressing coming on the sites as every time we read about one of our old mates going downhill.
You would think we would have a few ‘‘brownie Points’’ back for all the crap we had in the early days to help soften the '‘twilight years’'as we all start falling to bits.Mike

robert1952:
Sigh! Robert

Here you go Robert, something to cheer you up, a few Photos of Istanbul. One or two Mary Hopkins ones and a few more up to date.

All the very best

Mick B

robert1952:
An amusing reminder that Astran publicity is nothing new! The pic was taken by a driver, I think in Londra Camp, judging from the EFES bottles in the other pics, and I think the man in the hat is Java John (?)…I certainly wasn’t there so perhaps someone can confirm. Robert :slight_smile:

There does seem to be a common theme here, perfectly sensible truck drivers, a few weeks hard driving, add a bit of camaraderie, a splash of nostalgia and a bucket of effes and thats what you get. Kim Belcher 1980 something…

Astran in pioneer mode…out in front… ( only because we were lost and couldn’t find anywhere to turn round ) Syria 1980 something.
Posted before but I’m running out of photo’s now and its gone a bit quiet.

All the very best

Mick B

BrIlliant pics Mick, have you been on community service as we havn’t heard from you for a while ? regards Fred :slight_smile:

Yes excellent pics Mike ,heres a small pieces i found in a old truck mag.Click on page to read as focus improves.

I came across some old truck papers the other day. This one is a Saudi Transit paper of some sort but I cant remember what for !
Can anyone shed any light as to what it is.

This one is a Syrian Insurance certificate, not worth the paper that it is printed on !!

This one is my tractor unit Tryptic cover nicely decorated. The trailer one is somewhere around.

Hi Ron, sorry to hear about the tumour but never give up mate, look into the food side of attacking cancer such as carrots, pineapple and other veggies like broccoli, while they may not cure it completely but there are people out there who have reversed their illness through eating the right food, and have certainly prolonged their life by a long way.

chazzer:
Hi Ron, sorry to hear about the tumour but never give up mate, look into the food side of attacking cancer such as carrots, pineapple and other veggies like broccoli, while they may not cure it completely but there are people out there who have reversed their illness through eating the right food, and have certainly prolonged their life by a long way.

I’ve sent you a pm. Ron

freshir:
Hi - I knew two Johnnie Holland(s) from the seventies, one worked with me on my time with Grangewood’s and who lived at Biggin Hill and the other was working for Cantrell’s. Referring to the photo of the back end of a trailer although I agree it could be Jenkinson’s it could also be Welhams International from Fleetwood, perhaps we will never know but well done with the photo’s they bring back good memories keep them coming . regards Fred :slight_smile:

My dad is Johnny Hollands from Maidstone and yes he did a lot to Rumania in a transcontinental
The pic of the truck in Germany was in 1976

My dads still kicking and moaning lol hope this is some help, ?

freshir:
Hi - I knew two Johnnie Holland(s) from the seventies, one worked with me on my time with Grangewood’s and who lived at Biggin Hill and the other was working for Cantrell’s. Referring to the photo of the back end of a trailer although I agree it could be Jenkinson’s it could also be Welhams International from Fleetwood, perhaps we will never know but well done with the photo’s they bring back good memories keep them coming . regards Fred :slight_smile:

My dad is Johnny Hollands from Maidstone and yes he did a lot to Rumania in a transcontinental
The pic of the truck in Germany was in 1976

My dads still kicking and moaning lol hope this is some help, ?

image.jpg

Nice to get a reminder of Johnny Holland(s) you didn’t ,mention if it was John from Cantrell’s or Grangewood’s I wish him well - but stop him moaning although it was part of the job :slight_smile: Regards Fred

Buzzer:
Well I was one who never ventured into M/E transport like so many of you on here but I posted a picture on Davies International site as I was the founder of that company of a Barry.A.Titterall out of East India Dock Road, London. truck that showed me the way over Mont Cenis on my first trip to Italy. They both Had 140 Scania’s and me being in a lowly 110 had a job to keep up, any way the son of a driver sent me some shots of his fathers trucks, he worked for Astran and many other companies and here are a few he sent me. Any one recognise any of the trucks, the chap in question has the surname Hollands. He says he has loads of pics to send so will post when they arrive, cheers Buzzer.

Cabdaddy:

Buzzer:
3456Well I was one who never ventured into M/E transport like so many of you on here but I posted a picture on Davies International site as I was the founder of that company of a Barry.A.Titterall out of East India Dock Road, London. truck that showed me the way over Mont Cenis on my first trip to Italy. They both Had 140 Scania’s and me being in a lowly 110 had a job to keep up, any way the son of a driver sent me some shots of his fathers trucks, he worked for Astran and many other companies and here are a few he sent me. Any one recognise any of the trucks, the chap in question has the surname Hollands. He says he has loads of pics to send so will post when they arrive, cheers Buzzer.

Cabdaddy:

Cabdaddy:

Buzzer:
Well I was one who never ventured into M/E transport like so many of you on here but I posted a picture on Davies International site as I was the founder of that company of a Barry.A.Titterall out of East India Dock Road, London. truck that showed me the way over Mont Cenis on my first trip to Italy. They both Had 140 Scania’s and me being in a lowly 110 had a job to keep up, any way the son of a driver sent me some shots of his fathers trucks, he worked for Astran and many other companies and here are a few he sent me. Any one recognise any of the trucks, the chap in question has the surname Hollands. He says he has loads of pics to send so will post when they arrive, cheers Buzzer.

image.jpg

Buzzer:

image.jpg