Astran / Middle East Drivers

ex astran. regards

Great picture, Smldaredevil! Robert :smiley:

Found this on facebook a middle east spec leyland marathon

A couple of Iranian’, like the custom-built fuel tank on the Merc’. Regards Chris

IMG_NEW_0001.jpg

IMG_NEW.jpg

A familiar sight to many on here. Pic courtesy of the Rotterdam Tank Transport website. Robert

robert1952:
A familiar sight to many on here. Pic courtesy of the Rotterdam Tank Transport website. Robert

Surely better as the ferry Robert :smiley:

Perhaps not wanted/intended over here but feel free to react on the AFGHAN INTERNATIONAL’s!

I know that actually some 50 DAF 2800FTT with DAF Eurotrailers were intended to be operational
for this joint-venture, but ‘only’ 10 were realistic and after 3 years of operation a sudden stop.

As i was one of the three European [2 Dutch and me] to work for IT Holland\Afghan Int i enjoyed immensely working with the Afghan guys.It was only due to the upheaval in Iran which stopped the work.When the Afghan guys came to Holland to collect the trucks we had to go with them for the first trip back to Afghanistan.The first trip was ‘‘interesting’’ to say the least

@Hutpik…I remember the Afghan International parked at the warehouses of Van Gend & Loos
in Eindhoven, close at the railway-station on Fuutlaan. Then waiting during the weekend for an
unload and leave…for uncertain weeks. I doubt if all DAF’s FTT had the kitchen-addition then.

Hi ERF.As you say they used to park at VGL.We used to load for VGL with groupage for Iran and Afghanistan.As you maybe already know but the whole joint venture between the Dutch and Afghan governments was fronted by VGL as the ‘‘spediteur’’ part.We used to start the TIR carnet at vgl.
It was only the Three Dutch registered trucks owned by I.T.Holland of Rotterdam which had the built in kitchen.The trucks were sent to England to have them fitted by a Caravan Company in the South of England.At that time they were the only three in Europé.Later PIE also had kitchens fitted in their Volvos and DAFs.

img088-1m.jpg

Interesting number plate! Regards Chris

IMG_NEW.jpg

Any offers? Regards Chris

IMG_NEW.jpg

Evening gent’s,just a bit of info pls,i was in nelson lanc’s the other day waiting to load.there was one of harrier express in front,we got talking and he was telling me his history,i.e he had done 15 years on m/e so i quizzed him he said he started for expo then m&c etc didn’t get his name ,he had a scar on his head after he rolled his truck in spain for continental express ,he also said he was there in the desert when ■■■■ snow got stuck on destination doha saying it was staged cheers.

adr:
Any offers? Regards Chris

Yes! It’s an American-built CCC Nahang, which were made specially for export to Iran. They had ■■■■■■■ NTC 290 lumps and 9-speed Fuller gearboxes. Ugly, but right up my street driving-wise! Here is a picture of what looks like the vehicle you pictured, in better condition! Robert :smiley:

IMG_NEW.jpg

CCC… Crane Carrying Company… if remember right from spending hours/ days perusing my Pocket Book of World Trucks as a boy…

Hutpick it would be interesting if you could expand a bit more story on first trip with the Afgans, we wouldn’t expect as much as Jazzandy but a few lines would be appreciated…

Jeff…

@A-J / Hutpik: here’s a good picture of an Afghan DAF for you. I think I found it on a German site. Robert :smiley:

@Robert/Hutpik

Good input and feedback!

Attached (I doubt if the picture has been photoshop-ed with version 0, as the logo on the tarpaulin
is a bit too clear?) a page out of the VGL-brochure of 1970 with some tilts.

Also the kitchen on the Afghan International’s, type FTT2800. As hutpik confirmed, VGL was the
basis (and start for TIR-carnet’s) and also attached a picture of VGL-Eindhoven, where frequently
some AI-combinations were parked. The facility still is there however nothing to do with VGL nor
DHL who acquired VGL.

Nice (Sun-)day, A-J

IT-Holland-VGL-1970.jpg

ERF-Continental:
@Robert/Hutpik

Good input and feedback!

Attached (I doubt if the picture has been photoshop-ed with version 0, as the logo on the tarpaulin
is a bit too clear?) a page out of the VGL-brochure of 1970 with some tilts.

Also the kitchen on the Afghan International’s, type FTT2800. As hutpik confirmed, VGL was the
basis (and start for TIR-carnet’s) and also attached a picture of VGL-Eindhoven, where frequently
some AI-combinations were parked. The facility still is there however nothing to do with VGL nor
DHL who acquired VGL.

Nice (Sun-)day, A-J

Looks good sitting in the show room with all the cooker and stuff on display. I couldn’t see it being to practical at 11 o’clock at night after a long day covered in Saudi dust trying to get all you’re bedding out the way, and the cooker set. It was bad enough cooking on the centre kitchen pack of a Globetrotter, and all you had to do was lift the lid, unless you wanted to get something out the fridge which was under the bunk.

Jeff…

Jelliot:
CCC… Crane Carrying Company… if remember right from spending hours/ days perusing my Pocket Book of World Trucks as a boy…
quote]

Remember seeing these occasionally in the queue outside Mama’s at Spielfeld.