Are most trucks manual or automatic?

ukjamesuk:

dead.duck:
So what’s the difference between a manual lorry and a manual car in a city driving? I find my automatic car easier and quicker responding to traffick conditions than a manual car.

Many automatic trucks won’t let you dig your way out of trouble with the wheels on a building site they get all self protecting.

That’s why they, well all proper makes, continue to fit switches so you the driver can not only transfer weight to the drive axle, but also disable traction controls (TC/ASR).

More things almost never explained adequately by driver trainers (or company trainers come to that) to newby’s, that sometimes you have to interfere to protect the vehicle from it’s own nanny :laughing: , which in the case of TC/ASR can and will itself cause serious clutch abuse right to and including total failure if the vehicle cuts power enough times, for instance when having to reverse up a steep slope to a tight delivery point and the vehicle is sensing wheelspin starting.

attn Dead Duck.
Unless you are unlucky enough to have one of those bloody awful automated manual boxes in your car…ie Toyota MMT, Citroen EGS or whatever its called…your car auto will probably have a torque converter mated to a traditional hydraulic box, or a CVT box with or without torque converter, or maybe at worst a dual clutch transmission such as DSG.

So drive is almost immediately available (DSG’s aint so hot in traffic or as reliable as TC), whereas in lorries almost all auto gearboxes are in fact single clutch manual gearboxes but where ECU’s and solenoids are changing the gears for you, these are inherantly slow and especially poor at moving junctions (Volvo’s box the exception here, brilliant), as you are waiting for the box to select the next gear…though to be fair to these boxes when in lorries they are supremely reliable and help protect the drivetrain from hopeless people behind the wheel.

Sadly in cars almost all automated manuals, whether single or multi clutch are not so durable as those fitted to lorries.

I move a lot of different types of rigid trucks / tractor units (I only have my class c at the moment), some of these include brand new vehicles. Not many have had a gear stick but even with brand new ones, there’s a chance you’ll get a manual.

However! Don’t worry, I did my training in an auto and dreaded having to use a manual… It’s actually really easy to get used to. I’ve only used the 4 over 4 type with the switch on the front… 8 gears… Start off switch down (I remember it as lower numbers), stick it in 2nd (unless you have a heavy load on a hill, in this case use 1st as it’s basically a crawler gear to get going)… from 2nd go into 4th, flick the switch up (higher numbers) and you can go from 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 to 8… or even 4 to 6 etc.

Here’s a good video - youtube.com/watch?v=kePHTL9oHQM

Hope that helps and good luck

Most of the lorries I’ve drove have been manuals by far.

Especially 7.5 tonners.

If you’re wondering about this with a view to doing class 1 and not having the entitlement in the future for manual class 1 vehicles, it doesn’t matter because the manual/automatic element is determined by your category B pass.

sent using smoke signals

mick.mh2racing:
If you’re wondering about this with a view to doing class 1 and not having the entitlement in the future for manual class 1 vehicles, it doesn’t matter because the manual/automatic element is determined by your category B pass.

sent using smoke signals

Sort of correct - you can have auto B then do manual C and auto CE which gets all in manual

What was so wrong with the old system where you didn’t even need your car license and could go straight to class one?

I don’t ever remember hearing of any carnage because of it. A lot of the better drivers did it that way.

johnteller:
What was so wrong with the old system where you didn’t even need your car license and could go straight to class one?

I don’t ever remember hearing of any carnage because of it. A lot of the better drivers did it that way.

ERRRRR - the EU happened

Just one more reason I’m glad I voted out

Not sure if its correct but was told that a manuel truck will cost from 50k extra than an auto hence why auto’s are more the norm now, also to buy a manual it has to be authorised from high up within the company…