Are all unmarked Bridges really minimum 16ft 6ins?

We run scanias with double deckers at 16’4. We always run with the mid lift down [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cast your mind back to this one last year…

Should the bit of the bridge over the hard shoulder shown a warning sign for being under 16’6" OR are the authorities proceeding on the basis that the “Lorry with digger” was proven to be well above that?

Seems very harsh if he wasn’t at fault & I guess they can’t prove weather or not the suspension was raised.

Lancsdriver70:

yourhavingalarf:
Whislt I think about it…

Scanias with the mid-lift in the up position are much higher on the front with a double decker.

All of our units are Scanias, I think you could be correct with that one.

Scanias ride 6 inches higher than what it says on the trailer. Not being funny but it’s blatantly obvious the run higher, it stands out like a sore thumb, so why aren’t you lot measuring your heights? :unamused:

Fuzrat:

yourhavingalarf:
Whilst I think about it…

Scanias with the mid-lift in the up position are much higher on the front with a double decker.

This^^^^^ Had an assessment drive with Asda at Didcot yesterday, big notice in the training room warning about running with the midlift up (Scania fleet) as “it can raise trailer height by up to 6 inches” and you would be inadvertently over the height you think you are at.

Ffs, just measure it. It’s ■■■■■■■■ saying you can’t run with a raised axle as a hard fast rule. Is it really that difficult to get a tape measure out?.. :unamused:

$$$:

Fuzrat:

yourhavingalarf:
Whilst I think about it…

This^^^^^ Had an assessment drive with Asda at Didcot yesterday, big notice in the training room warning about running with the midlift up (Scania fleet) as “it can raise trailer height by up to 6 inches” and you would be inadvertently over the height you think you are at.

Ffs, just measure it. It’s ■■■■■■■■ saying you can’t run with a raised axle as a hard fast rule. Is it really that difficult to get a tape measure out?.. :unamused:

How can it be ■■■■■■■■ if you are running an empty 16’ 3"" DD with a Scania, and having the midlift up could mean the difference between a bridge strike or not?

Surely if the company in question was your own, you would also make a hard fast rule? Prevention better than cure etc…

eagerbeaver:

$$$:

Fuzrat:

yourhavingalarf:
Whilst I think about it…

How can it be ■■■■■■■■ if you are running an empty 16’ 3"" DD with a Scania, and having the midlift up could mean the difference between a bridge strike or not?

Surely if the company in question was your own, you would also make a hard fast rule? Prevention better than cure etc…

No I wouldn’t, but I’d provide drivers of double decker with measuring sticks, in fact all drivers should have a tape measure as a minimum in their kit bag. You need to know what height you’re running at.

See thread height stick and answer the question. Joepipe

:wink:

truckyboy:
i see two issues here: 1. Midlift on many trucks automatically raise when its empty, and no way of lowering it. 2. When resurfacing, i believe they always take off a certain amount ( planing ) and replace it with the same amount, so for eg, 2" off…2" back on…i always believed also that motorway bridges are 17 ft…but some abroad are 4m. but clearly marked with a diversion in place if needed.

Agreed I have driven Man and the tag axle is automatic based on weight. We are ran double decker as well.

I’ve driven many mid lift trucks where the axle automatically drops with enough weight on. I’ve yet to encounter one that automatically lifts though. Not saying that there isn’t such a thing, only that I’ve never come across one.

As far as I’m aware it’s only Scanias that lift the drive axle when raising the midlift, why, I don’t know.

I’ve never heard of an “auto midlift lifting system”, however all mid and tags are required to drop automatically upon reaching a certain weight on the drive axle to prevent people ‘forgetting’ to drop them.

Trailers should (but are not legally required afaik) have a “based on a 1250mm fifth wheel” or whatever caveat written on the trailer and ALL drivers should bare that in mind and take into account their fifth wheel height (in all configurations) though this may require some of them having to take their shoes and socks off to do the additional math!

Recently I’ve been shunting with a Terberg tug and as you may know the hydraulically lifted fifth wheel can raise trailers up a fair old way, I went under a trailer a couple of weeks back and I could only lift it about 2 inches off of the ground before reaching the maximum available lift and I’m not exaggerating! I can only assume it was a Scania with its midlift up and probably its drive raised up to the max too that had dropped it off, and then companies with mixed fleets wonder why there are so many missed pin incidents.

I’ve always been led to believe that any bridge which is unmarked is more than sixteen feet high, but by how much cannot be guaranteed.