Any concrete mixer drivers ( owner drivers) on here?

drewster:
hope selling one of there plants in telford and one somewhere else in the west region ive found out today,also talk of them mothballing a couple somewhere,seems a strange move if true?

Wouldn`t surprise if Telford was going. been earmarked for housing for a few years and is in the middle of a new housing development. Dont know of any others though. Some plants are very quiet, some very busy

mixer driver too:

drewster:
hope selling one of there plants in telford and one somewhere else in the west region ive found out today,also talk of them mothballing a couple somewhere,seems a strange move if true?

Wouldn`t surprise if Telford was going. been earmarked for housing for a few years and is in the middle of a new housing development. Dont know of any others though. Some plants are very quiet, some very busy

the one in telford is the ex tarmac plant at trench which as you say is surrounded by housing but its being sold as a going concern,quite a few people been to see it from some big companys so id have thought its got planning for a few years yet.the plant at digbeth birmingham looks like closing for redevelopment purposes ive been told but dont know when.

how busy are you all? some of my local farmers are telling me its 1 - 2 weeks wait for concrete from local suppliers, is it the same across the country??

Nothing’s changed at lafarge/tarmac. The shipping staff still don’t have a clue. Sending hire trucks into plants where they’re not needed just to justify them being booked.

Tudor Griffiths concrete jobs safeguarded in Wales
Jobs have been safeguarded in mid and north Wales after a firm bought four concrete plants from a rival.

Tudor Griffiths Limited, of Ellesmere, Shropshire, has acquired the plants in Aberystwyth, Bangor, Newtown and Wrexham from CEMEX UK.

All CEMEX’s existing operations, assets and 12 staff in the four areas have been transferred over to the new owner.

“The purchase greatly enhances our existing ready mix operations within the area,” said Tudor Griffiths.

More on This Story
Related Internet linksTudor Griffiths Group CEMEX UK

crikey o’reiley

4 months since anyone posted in here…

does that mean were all pulled out with work ■■

I know that in south yorks Hope are nailing the price for everything… can it last tho ?

Most of the major firms in quarrying/aggregates/concrete /asphalt have a “social media” policy which forbids posting,they say it is to protect themselves from release of business information which may be of use to competitive companys,but it may more to do with the thought that 100’s of O/D’s,franchised hauliers,sub contractors etc all over the UK could liaise together and cause them problems :exclamation:

splitshift:
Most of the major firms in quarrying/aggregates/concrete /asphalt have a “social media” policy which forbids posting,they say it is to protect themselves from release of business information which may be of use to competitive companys,but it may more to do with the thought that 100’s of O/D’s,franchised hauliers,sub contractors etc all over the UK could liaise together and cause them problems :exclamation:

If that was the case,they would be contravening the freedom of information act and the Human Rights laws.

Dave,not forbidden full stop but comes under a “catch all” couched in
such terms as “comments considered inappropriate made in the virtual world will be reviewed by senior management” :wink:

Dave,not forbidden full stop but comes under a “catch all” couched in
such terms as “comments considered inappropriate made in the virtual world will be reviewed by senior management” :wink:

Hi splitshift,
I hear what you are saying.I live close to three quarries and know that they don’t like anyone rocking the boat etc. They have most of the hauliers in a stranglehold and it seems to be getting worse.
Some day they will get short of vehicles and hopefully the situation might improve.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:
Hi splitshift,
I hear what you are saying.I live close to three quarries and know that they don’t like anyone rocking the boat etc. They have most of the hauliers in a stranglehold and it seems to be getting worse.
Some day they will get short of vehicles and hopefully the situation might improve.
Cheers Dave.

CPC day could be a good one for that Dave, suddenly find themselves in a shortfall.

dew:

Dave the Renegade:
Hi splitshift,
Cheers Dave.

CPC day could be a good one for that Dave, suddenly find themselves in a shortfall.

Very true dew, could be interesting after September 2014.
Cheers Dave.

jensenA3:
crikey o’reiley

4 months since anyone posted in here…

does that mean were all pulled out with work ■■

I know that in south yorks Hope are nailing the price for everything… can it last tho ?

Ive been on 2 seperate sites in north yorks and ground workers are saying although Hope have been the cheaper the service given is dreadful, loads being upto 6 hours late, or even being cancelled by hope at short notice whilst halfway through a job… both are looking for new suppliers…

all these concrete redimix firms are the same.load of zbs.losing out now to the small operators with a batching plant on wagon,now you only pay for what you get.i have done jobs that only needed 1 mtre but had to pay for full load off the robbing zbs.i wonder how long it will be before the big boys get in on the act or cause problems with the supply of sand and gravel. :unamused: :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

as i have said on another post, these volumetric mixers which is the type you are talking about are only any use for the small domestic job, or trenchfill, kerbing ect where the concrete does not have to be up to standard, majority of mixer firms are running mixers as an outlet for their own sand and gravel and the profit is mostly on the aggregates rather then the concrete…

dle1uk:
as i have said on another post, these volumetric mixers which is the type you are talking about are only any use for the small domestic job, or trenchfill, kerbing ect where the concrete does not have to be up to standard, majority of mixer firms are running mixers as an outlet for their own sand and gravel and the profit is mostly on the aggregates rather then the concrete…

they can produce concrete that is up to standard :wink: its a myth that they can,t

our local volumatic offers 17 standard mixes that meet with building regs approval but he will also mix anything you want.

d4c24a:

dle1uk:

they can produce concrete that is up to standard :wink: its a myth that they can,t

i appreciate what you are saying, however any cube crushing results 99.9% fail? not a myth

dle1uk:

d4c24a:

dle1uk:

i appreciate what you are saying, however any cube crushing results 99.9% fail? not a myth

where is this info found , so i can have a read