Any Mixer Drivers on here

I have been offered a job on an 8 wheeler mixer, moneys ok working out at between £22,000 and £25,000 depending on hours it’s very local to me and the company only has 2 other trucks both tippers one of them being an artic.
I know nothing about concrete mixers and the job and even less about the mix etc.
I am going to see the boss next week and he has said I would need a week out with him learning the job but I’m just looking for any help full info on what sort of things to expect.

Ady Williams:
I have been offered a job on an 8 wheeler mixer, moneys ok working out at between £22,000 and £25,000 depending on hours it’s very local to me and the company only has 2 other trucks both tippers one of them being an artic.
I know nothing about concrete mixers and the job and even less about the mix etc.
I am going to see the boss next week and he has said I would need a week out with him learning the job but I’m just looking for any help full info on what sort of things to expect.

You say depending on the hours ! don’t ever look at a job rate with Depending on the hours .
You look at it as This is the base rate without OT or bonus
that’s the money you need to know forget what you MIGHT earn its what you WILL earn you need to know …

The biggest thing is to keep the truck clean by washing off properly, especially inside the drum to prevent build up which is a pain in the ■■■ to clean out, especially as most concrete plants are circa early 19th century with their enviromental credentials.

I take it the truck is being rented out as a “hire truck” rather than contracted by an “owner driver” ? Defo not a company truck ?.

The job is fairly easy but may be long hours
Whereabouts in the country is it ?

Make sure you get your slumps :sunglasses: right to save you a load of mither :smiley:

Cheers for the replies so far.
The hours and rate works out to £22,000 anually the available overtime is where it can go up to £25,000 per year I don’t know the hours or the hourly rate as yet as it was a brief phone call with the boss with fading signal.
The jobs not available till mid august as the driver is retiring so it works out ok with me giving a months notice where I am.
I will make sure the slumps are perfect…As soon as I Google what the ell your on about lol.

Ady Williams:
Cheers for the replies so far.
The hours and rate works out to £22,000 anually the available overtime is where it can go up to £25,000 per year I don’t know the hours or the hourly rate as yet as it was a brief phone call with the boss with fading signal.
The jobs not available till mid august as the driver is retiring so it works out ok with me giving a months notice where I am.
I will make sure the slumps are perfect…As soon as I Google what the ell your on about lol.

on a basic 48hr week over 52 weeks that’s £8.81. so you really need to know the hours your working for 22k.
Some places have you working 50hrs for that which brings the rate down further…
Do the maths when you know what they are offering as it may look good till your knee deep in concrete. and remember it can be very seasonal

Hi im an x owner mixer driver.
Basically u start at about 7ish usually finish around 4ish as these are the hrs most building sites keep(but various depending on work) and theres often plenty of down time during the day.
Occasionally night work perhaps.
But all in all a good job I loved it. You will find the odd complete and utter knob on building sites who may try to treat you like s**t and once or twice things have nearly got out of hand lol.
I would say there’s much better money to be earn’t out there at the moment, but if you want a nice easy simple little job this is fine.

Ady Williams:

If you need some ‘sleeping’ material :sunglasses: concrete.org.uk/fingertips_n … lay&id=800

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_slump_test

If your slump ain’t right, ie collapsed pish mix into a footing expect a ‘paddy’ to smack you round the head with his spade because he has to maul around doing a bit :smiley:

In the old days it was semi dry, inch, then 50 mil, 75, 100, pump mix etc (sounds a bit like a ■■■■■)

I did 12 years OD and a couple of years batching and stuff, it ain’t too bad a job.

Pm me if u want if.
Depending which firm it is if in NW or North of Birmingham I may know who does the truck maintenance :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help and information.
I’m gonna see him next week at some pointto chat about it. He did say that he would train me up on the tippers too then if needed I could drive that as he isn’t bothered about driving either although money is the same for class 1.

When I worked for Cemex on bulk dry cement the most important things were safety goggles and eyewash.
We were shown pictures of eye injuries caused by cement and they were pretty horrific.

+1…aye the goggles … its just coming down hard over here on H&S,they must show the same videos over here.