Ageing drivers and driver shortage

att:
The industry of transport and goods movement, is stuck firmly in the dark ages in so many ways.

I would rather sit at home and do bugger all, than go out and drive a lorry, yes I could have more money, but until we stop being treated like animals, then this is where I shall stay.

Good on you mate. Wish a few more had a bit of spine about them…

eagerbeaver:

att:
The industry of transport and goods movement, is stuck firmly in the dark ages in so many ways.

I would rather sit at home and do bugger all, than go out and drive a lorry, yes I could have more money, but until we stop being treated like animals, then this is where I shall stay.

If I could afford to sit at home I would but that don’t pay my bills

I won’t allow anyone to treat me like an animal

animal:

eagerbeaver:

att:

If I could afford to sit at home I would but that don’t pay my bills

I won’t allow anyone to treat me like an animal

I didn`t, but my response was often not particularly diplomatic, I was quick to anger and did not suffer fools, never have, however, I am now at the point of understanding that I will not change the world and that I have to change…It is easier to say than to do and I am trying to develop some strategies that will allow me to once again become employable, because right now, I would not want me as a member of staff.

So I am reading, listening and digesting, so far I have not lost my temper this year, in any situation, which for me is a massive effort and progress that I did not expect, I am developing my relationships with others in a positive way and am learning more about myself, my self awareness has grown once again.

All I want to do is to leave my home and do things without having murderous feelings to those that hinder me in my quest, I have to be more understanding if I am to live a more fulfilling life, being angry a lot of the time is no good to anyone.

I really enjoy driving large vehicles and it is my current psychological state of mind that is preventing me from doing so…I am not saying that I am going to take being treated like ■■■■, I am going to encourage those that try, to explore the reasons why they are being so disrespectful and perhaps offer alternatives in the way in which they treat others, to do this without using profanity, ■■■■■■ swear words and aggression, is my main objective.

Fair play to you att, you can do it for one month, you can do it for 12!

I’ve not got quite to your stage but there are times when I have to wander off for 5 minutes. Rarely driver related, usually corporate rubbish from customers.

albion:
Fair play to you att, you can do it for one month, you can do it for 12!

I’ve not got quite to your stage but there are times when I have to wander off for 5 minutes. Rarely driver related, usually corporate rubbish from customers.

+1. What I usually do though is completely take the ■■■■ until they sack me with a weeks notice (but not required to work it :wink: )

By which time I have also built up some holiday pay and already have another job lined up :laughing: Winner winner chicken dinner, kerching.

yourhavingalarf:

wing-nut:
Looks like the driver shortage is starting to bite, at least in the US anyway.

cnbc.com/2019/01/28/walmart … -year.html

$87,500 a year…

That’s £66,550. Yet we’re still arguing over 20-30k.

Yeh yeh, you gotta be out for months on end for that and live on the road etc but it’s where our money should be.

The article talks of a 5 day week, or at least “being home two days per week” which to me - amounts to the same thing.

I would imagine that the $87,500 is for the three-weeks-out-at-a-time trampers.
That would equate to the old stobarts advert as below, which was their rate for Euro trampers where you have two days home per fortnight, with a reduced weekly rest abroad.

HOWEVER it must be said that as per the other post above - $87,500 at current exchange rates - is Route 66 Large, which ■■■■■■ all over the stobart rate for pretty much the same job.

Here’s a question I’ve got for US truckers:

How difficult is the transition from 8-range change/Auto gearboxes that so many UK trucks have these days - and the big rig manaul gearboxes of US rigs? :confused:

looks simple enough to me?
youtube.com/watch?v=8lEYaTvvq4g

dieseldog999:
looks simple enough to me?
youtube.com/watch?v=8lEYaTvvq4g

I don’t think VOSA would want to see us taking both hands off the wheel like that… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

This September might give an indication towards any driver shortage becoming a reality. It’s when the CPC starts it’s renewal period , many of my age group (60s) were undecided about renewal .
I fell into the grandfather rights 7.5t brigade so needed the cpc but not the medical ,I have ADR as well plus a couple of security clearances.
I was going to drop the ADR but renew the cpc and continue until 70 when a medical would have been required, that would have taken me to 2024 .
Unfortunately it all went mammary’s up a while ago due to cardiac problems.
Being able to offset training and licencing costs against tax might encourage more to join up or stay in the game .
The EU future plans of having everything related to driving on 5 years renewals will not help .
Plans to bring everything commercial over 2T under driving regs and vocational licences would certainly have a big effect .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

grumpyken52:
This September might give an indication towards any driver shortage becoming a reality. It’s when the CPC starts it’s renewal period , many of my age group (60s) were undecided about renewal .

Being able to offset training and licencing costs against tax might encourage more to join up or stay in the game .
The EU future plans of having everything related to driving on 5 years renewals will not help .
Plans to bring everything commercial over 2T under driving regs and vocational licences would certainly have a big effect .

It would serve the ■■■■ s right if as you say many drivers did decide to call it a day after that date, resulting in a GENUINE driver shortage…and who could blame them.
Ott legislation, attitudes towards us, any excuse fines for this that and the other, and all the rest of it, have turned the job to crap by the powers that be.
So if the result of all that is that nobody has any desire to renew their dcpc, then maybe a strong message will be sent out.

Only the brainwashed, the deluded, the gullible (and those that are making a carreer and a fortune out of all that crap) are all for the dcpc, they think it’s the answer to all the problems in the job. :unamused:
The rest of us can see it for what it really is…complete and utter meaningless bull ■■■■ with no real substance. :bulb:

yourhavingalarf:

wing-nut:

$87,500 a year…

Yeh yeh, you gotta be out for months on end for that and live on the road etc but it’s where our money should be.

I used to make that amount per year at Wal Mart on a 5 day work week. My average days pay was 244 English pounds. They caused their own driver shortage by eliminating a lot of schedules so a lot of drivers left to go elsewhere or retire like me. They thought they would be able to replace them by paying new drivers less money but only 1 or 2 applied so they put the money back up and went on a big hiring spree. Drivers got a raise last month so now new drivers are applying in droves, all it takes is money $$$$$$

Anyone else noticing how some firms appear to be openly poaching drivers - by offering higher rates to those already working elsewhere as pro drivers?

Winseer:

yourhavingalarf:

wing-nut:

$87,500 a year…

The article talks of a 5 day week, or at least “being home two days per week” which to me - amounts to the same thing.

That would equate to the old stobarts advert as below, which was their rate for Euro trampers where you have two days home per fortnight, with a reduced weekly rest abroad.
HOWEVER it must be said that as per the other post above - $87,500 at current exchange rates - is Route 66 Large, which ■■■■■■ all over the stobart rate for pretty much the same job.

How difficult is the transition from 8-range change/Auto gearboxes that so many UK trucks have these days - and the big rig manaul gearboxes of US rigs? :confused:

Someone was saying while back the you need pay $150 week, per week for healthcare insurance, maybe? so can’t really compare with can’t really in the end that it’s compare with us.

wolves:

Winseer:

yourhavingalarf:

wing-nut:

$87,500 a year…

Someone was saying while back the you need pay $150 week, per week for healthcare insurance, maybe? so can’t really compare with can’t really in the end that it’s compare with us.

Anyone seriously looking at the US to work, take a look at the ExPat forum. Especially read Pat Haslar and his experiences of the health system.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:

wolves:

Winseer:

yourhavingalarf:

wing-nut:

$87,500 a year…

Anyone seriously looking at the US to work, take a look at the ExPat forum. Especially read Pat Haslar and his experiences of the health system.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Yes it was Pat that I read it from. I remember his name now ta.

I don’t think that you have much chance of getting into the USA as a driver. Over the years this subject has come up, there are various out fits who will take your money with a promise of a Green Card . Do your own research of course but there are a lot of crooks out there.

Easy if you don’t bother with a green card.

Think how many illegal Canadians are in the US working. :stuck_out_tongue:
Long as you dont look like a Mexican you will be fine. :laughing:

Drempels:
Adam277, (and anybody else who might) please don’t take this the wrong way, I’m not putting the topic down.

I shouldn’t worry about a driver shortage, it would be brilliant news, but it’s unlikely to happen. There isn’t one, and there never has been, a study of driver salaries for the last hundred years or so will prove that.

I would be more concerned about some half-witted government scheme (if enough employers and trade associations shout loud enough) to encourage/force people in other jobs or on benefits to become HGV drivers. Couple that with “flexible working” (employer subsidies through “tax credits”) and we will really have some problems.

Look at the “wanna drive this bus?” adverts and see how bus drivers behave.

Look at the laughable “private hire” vehicles and how they’re driven.

Look at “self employed” food delivery drivers and how they act.

That - should it come, will be the time to start worrying.

Transport for London - seem to be phasing out proper professional drivers in favour of the “You buy a licence, 9 points and dubious history OK” kind. Anyone can drive a puddle jumper on an ordinary car lience. Van expenses can be claimed by the self-employed, making “Van Hire” a viable business start-up proposition.
A reform of the Tax Credit system - would solve this problem. There’s too much emphasis in our so called “Equal” society in that Tax Credits only seem to be for Guys that have a low-paid job, rather than for Stay at home Moms, who of course don’t have a job at all!

I wonder how long it will take London from the ultra-low emission zone roll-out (April, just after Brexit is due…) to see empty shop shelves?

There’s stuff you can get onto an artic for delivery - that just won’t fit in the back of a bedford rascal! :bulb:

Tax credits sounds so much better then subsidies for poor/bad business or a low wage subsidy. Wonder how much they paid some advertising executives to come up with the name.

Odd days:
Tax credits sounds so much better then subsidies for poor/bad business or a low wage subsidy. Wonder how much they paid some advertising executives to come up with the name.

The trouble is all manner of subsidies are open for grabbing and manipulating from both workers and employers, from the person who deliberately only works enough part time hours in the week to trigger the maximum benefits, to the thousands of jobs advertised (including the job centre, at one time, dunno about now) where in work benefits could apply to the pitiful wages being offered, everyone’s a winner eh?

What everyone forgets is that the govt has no money, it is all taken from net taxpayers, or borrowed for said net taxpayers to repay at some point.

The problem with this massive ponzi scheme is where is the balance point where those number of receivers and/or employers, many being manipulators of net taxpayer funded subsidies, outweigh those who are net contributors…arguably we’re long past that point as the growing national debt appears unstoppable, though ■■■■■■■ some £14billion every year up the foreign aid scam wall every isn’t helping, let alone paying the EU scam hundreds of £millions a week for the benefits of the one sided, their way, defecit…said defecit being another main cause of the growing national debt.

the below is attributed to one Dr Adrian Rogers, though the source may be disputed, the general gist from back in 1931 is entirely valid.

''You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom.
What one person receives without working for, another must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from someone else.
When half of the people get the idea they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea it does no good to work because someone else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend is about the end of any nation.
You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.