Advice in making a BIG decision

Mark500:
After 24yrs Public Sector working (HMP) I took my VEDS (Voluntary Redundancy) just over 3 yrs ago & did my Class 2 & 1 within 2 months of each other. Started off with a few weeks on agency Class 2 multi - drop (eyes opened) & then took the 1st Class 1 job that I was offered as you have to build the experience ASAP. Did 6 months at one firm & then another 6 months at another firm, thus giving the 1 yrs required experience a lot of company’s demand. I then went back to agency work, 4 months at the Co-op, lots of tight reverses / blind side reverses etc etc. I then moved onto a “better” standard of agency work & earned 6k more than I did at HMP last year. It can be done but you need sometimes to be in the right place at the right time + some luck. I continue to look for a “good quality” permanent job but until / if it comes along I’m ok where I’m currently at & try to continue to build a good reputation. GL with what you decide.

Thanks for the advice. When you say eyes opened to class 2 multi drop what do you mean?
My main concern is about finding work I understand that most companies want 2 year experiance but before this is it easy enough to find work? I don’t mind long hours each day as more often then not I’m doing in excess of 12 hours

Bucky88:

Mark500:
After 24yrs Public Sector working (HMP) I took my VEDS (Voluntary Redundancy) just over 3 yrs ago & did my Class 2 & 1 within 2 months of each other. Started off with a few weeks on agency Class 2 multi - drop (eyes opened) & then took the 1st Class 1 job that I was offered as you have to build the experience ASAP. Did 6 months at one firm & then another 6 months at another firm, thus giving the 1 yrs required experience a lot of company’s demand. I then went back to agency work, 4 months at the Co-op, lots of tight reverses / blind side reverses etc etc. I then moved onto a “better” standard of agency work & earned 6k more than I did at HMP last year. It can be done but you need sometimes to be in the right place at the right time + some luck. I continue to look for a “good quality” permanent job but until / if it comes along I’m ok where I’m currently at & try to continue to build a good reputation. GL with what you decide.

Thanks for the advice. When you say eyes opened to class 2 multi drop what do you mean?
My main concern is about finding work I understand that most companies want 2 year experiance but before this is it easy enough to find work? I don’t mind long hours each day as more often then not I’m doing in excess of 12 hours

When I say “eyes opened” I mean in my experience plenty of variation but it was push, push, push, which was ok for a while until it started to wear a bit thin. First job (agency) was in a battered old 05 plate with nigh on 1.5m km on clock so no one was bothered if a knock or a scratch appeared as it was already riddled with the same. I think agency Class 2 is the way to start (bottom of the pile effectively) & you can gain experience whilst hopefully forgeing a good reputation. Summer holidays & Xmas time is prob the easiest time to find work for obvious reasons. Be selective with agencys as some are better than others as you may well find out. Talk to other drivers & perhaps get a recommend or 2.

Dav36:

MOSSSIDEDEEP:
I to also came out of public sector (hmp).
To earn anything like I used to means 60hr weeks.
Far less stressful than the old job on the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you glad you come out in working in hmp at the moment

Most deffintily

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bucky88:

There’s a lad of 18 on here (Jordan) working full time on class 2, so I reckon if an 18 year old can do it, anyone can. I’ve taken 23 year olds on before now, a 29 new pass I’d think had a bit more life skills, so that’s in your favour.

Unless I’ve missed it, you haven’t said, it does depend on where you are in the country, there’s a lot of difference in pay between say the NE and the SE.

Stress?! PFFT Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.
ATB in whatever you choose, Tommy.
PS, I wanted to be a truck driver since I was a kid, I used to go continental with my grandad every school holiday. I love driving and not having to be nice to co-workers day after day, I am a bit antisocial truth be told, and don’t suffer fools (of which there are many) gladly. Be sure it is what you want to do because as mentioned, it isn’t a conventional job.

Mark500:

Sounds a lot like my story to be fare. I’m hoping to clear 28k take home this year which was more than when I worked behind concrete walls.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I worked in local authority social care management for all but 20 years, the stress over the last 5 years was ridiculous, luckily got made redundant nearly 3 years ago, only thing I ever really wanted to do was drive trucks so decided that’s what I’d do. Took a job as a postie as a stop gap, paid for my own hgv training and tests out of my redundancy money then applied to work as a class 1 driver for Royal Mail, took ages to come about but glad I hung in there, I love it. Get treated great, the work is enjoyable, everyone is helpful and supportive and the money is better than my social services job was. I work a few more hours and some of it is unsociable hours so family and social life becomes difficult but I’m happy now and don’t feel ready to explode any time soon.
Regrets. Like hell! Wish I’d done it years ago.
Unfortunately not all employers are as good as mine though, I read a lot on hear about drivers getting dicked around and ripped off by unscrupulous employers and agencies. Have a look on indeed jobs and see what kind of work is available in your area, give you an idea of local pay rates and job availability.

Hank Hill:

Bucky88:
Don’t get me wrong I’m on a decent enough pension and it will allow me to retire at 60 but Im trying to think of enjoying my life now when I can do more then later on. This decision is a bloody hard one.

If tip your toe in the murky world of hgv driving be prepared to work 3x15 hour shifts & 2x13 hour shifts each week (70 hours)
Companies expecting you to break the law to keep the job running.
Trust me when a company has you working these hours all you do other then work is sleep, its no life.
If you have a partner or children think how it will impact their lives too.

This. The job eats away at your family life. You have no time for them. All you do is sleep and work. Think it through VERY carefully before you decide.

jbaz73:

Hank Hill:

Bucky88:
Don’t get me wrong I’m on a decent enough pension and it will allow me to retire at 60 but Im trying to think of enjoying my life now when I can do more then later on. This decision is a bloody hard one.

If tip your toe in the murky world of hgv driving be prepared to work 3x15 hour shifts & 2x13 hour shifts each week (70 hours)
Companies expecting you to break the law to keep the job running.
Trust me when a company has you working these hours all you do other then work is sleep, its no life.
If you have a partner or children think how it will impact their lives too.

This. The job eats away at your family life. You have no time for them. All you do is sleep and work. Think it through VERY carefully before you decide.

Admittedly some jobs may be like this ^^ but there’s a lot that aren’t in fact a hell of lot aren’t so don’t get put off by some people.

Bald bloke is quite right, not all jobs are like this. I had a job once trunking Coalville to Wigan, trailer swap and back in 6 hrs. Take home about 280 per week, I had a job 9-5 driving a library van (12t) on 8.50 per hour. But all the jobs with nice hours are temp only and taken by a full timer, plus if you are ok with the wage drop, then go for it matey. I had assumed that you would be looking to match your current 35k per year. And to do that, you will need to put in the hours.