Advantages/disadvantages of moving to Canada

That’s right Kev, only thing that concerns me is we go to one of the big cities and then wish we had a quieter life :laughing:

That’s the rate I’m on Neil lol but yea most I’ve seen is a bit less

taffytrucker:
That’s the rate I’m on Neil lol but yea most I’ve seen is a bit less

Yeah it’s very rare to see more than 0.40cpm on Kijiji Calgary for long haul, 0.44cpm’s a good rate.

Evans Trucking in Coaldale pay their experienced drivers 0.50cpm but they don’t do LMOs. I looked there last year fairly decent new kit to.

alrite m8 been here 9yrs had me p.r. 5yrs living in prince Edward island .going home next month done 21yrs long haul European /n.africa basically further west u go more money slightly better treated but more expense for house and cost of living.iv had good times here but I started to miss little things like pub life indian restaurants ha ha /cheap European holidays ease of travel and most of all being with my own kind we get treated better in uk as a driver also my Canadian missis/doris been uk shes coming as well .I did do what set out to do all 48usa states Canada from b.c. to newfoundland also here u say to company here u want 4wks holiday they look at u tho u mental. iv tried and tried for a local job but seem good jobs very rare companies will sit u down and smile and just garble garble about how gd they treat u all ok and safety safety issues .then u start work and u under a planner who has complete control of your life who doesn’t give a f… about really im not anti Canada met some nice people here but time to go back to home I wish u luck whatever u do :smiley:

stevejones:
alrite m8 been here 9yrs had me p.r. 5yrs living in prince Edward island .going home next month done 21yrs long haul European /n.africa basically further west u go more money slightly better treated but more expense for house and cost of living.iv had good times here but I started to miss little things like pub life indian restaurants ha ha /cheap European holidays ease of travel and most of all being with my own kind we get treated better in uk as a driver also my Canadian missis/doris been uk shes coming as well .I did do what set out to do all 48usa states Canada from b.c. to newfoundland also here u say to company here u want 4wks holiday they look at u tho u mental. iv tried and tried for a local job but seem good jobs very rare companies will sit u down and smile and just garble garble about how gd they treat u all ok and safety safety issues .then u start work and u under a planner who has complete control of your life who doesn’t give a f… about really im not anti Canada met some nice people here but time to go back to home I wish u luck whatever u do :smiley:

Very well said mate. I can’t believe its been over 5 years since we first met in Philadelphia docks on what was my first trip down to the US less than two weeks after stepping off the plane.

alrite m8 ow r ya thought be honest as could be up there mon/tues got some work till go home just going on lash now maybe see ya b4 igo home :smiley:

stevejones:
alrite m8 ow r ya thought be honest as could be up there mon/tues got some work till go home just going on lash now maybe see ya b4 igo home :smiley:

Are you working for Quality until you go back? I’m heading off early Sunday AM bound for Florida.

stevejones:

I’ve never had a problem with holidays here with the 2 companies I’ve worked for and I take between 4 and 8 weeks a year.
They don’t care 'cause they ain’t paying me, only my 6% of gross added to my monthly pay.
I agree with you about the things I miss from the UK but the job situation there now is dire.
My mate has gone home and is there now for a 2 month holiday and I asked him last week if he thought about staying, he said the job’s are virtually all agency advertising and the pay is not far above minimum wage, he lived not far from Magna Park.
If you’ve been here 9 years you are going to see big changes over there.

stevejones:

Very best of luck back home Steve very nice to have met you Barry

hi guys for neil g. tks for reply but if u are a full time Canada /usa driver and u get 4 to 8wks of u doing more than anyone but as for uk each to there own everybodys circumstances r different gd luck :smiley:

@stevejones

Thanks mate for coming here and posting.
We need another perspective of what live is there across the pond for drivers.
I wish those that returned early and lasted less than the required 2-3 years (for PR purposes) would post in here listing things they didn’t like over there.

Pros: continued:

1. Cheaper fuel

but:

Cons:

1. Much longer distances to driver everywhere and poor public transport, which makes saving on fuel disappear as people simply have no choice but to use their cars , which pretty much cancels the advantage of being able to spend less on fuel, per litre, plus many people if not most buy pick ups or large engine vehicles so they can cope with snow in winter, which obviously cancels savings on fuel, as in the UK people use small engine vehicles, plus economical diesels are very popular here, not so in Canada.
  2. Much higher car insurance costs.

Someone mentioned cheaper houses in Canada.
I’ve looked in Realtor.ca and didn’t notice they are cheaper in places where most jobs are, ie Calgary, Edmonton, (Alberta in general).
They look to me pretty expensive actually.
Someone also mentioned cars are cheaper in Canada, so I’ve done a research and didn’t notice that they are cheaper, from what I’ve seen I thought they were more expensive that in the UK, or same priced at best.
Could obviously be wrong, but that’s what I’m seeing online.

tks barry I keep u posted when I get home to that terrible country of mine ha ha let u all know what im doing gd luck m8 :smiley:

hi m8 second hand cars of any quality seem to be expensive I bought brand new mustang v8 gt convertible 5litre last year withtaxes cost 44thousand dollars im shipping it to uk next month when I move back for two thousand dollars I was looking at 9yr old xk jag last week 24 thousand plus taxes same car uk 10 thousand dollars :smiley:

Well, hkloss, what say you?

Truth is that the reasons for the rule changes are mainly due to immigrants taking jobs that Canadian people will take as soon as they get PR. If you say you’re long haul then you’re long haul. To jump the day you get PR just causes more unrest.

Cost of living is not more expensive here. You may pay more for some things but much less for others. My hydro bill is about $360 a month year round. My mortgage is high because of the terms I imposed for myself. Another nine years will see it done.

Hourly rate? I calculate mine every trip. Lowest I’ve had this past year is $14.50 and the highest $18.60. But that is for EVERY HOUR from the time I leave home till I park on the driveway. I am paid very well. Including my living allowance (I do get $40 a day for living expenses), my fuel bonus and standard prorated add pays, I gross 70cpm for 10k months.

Do I have a better standard of living? Absolutely.

And I’m home every weekend too.

You ask questions which are designed to dissuade yourself. I’d stay there.

If you’re getting $40 a day living expenses then that will lower your rebate come tax time, not a problem as it will all add up to the same figure, but instead of giving it to the government each pay cheque and waiting for them to give it back to you, you get it when you earn it.

More companies should do this.

It doesn’t affect it as the maximum allowance is, I believe, $115 including a shower. Basic meal allowance is $51 per day. Once it’s averaged out over the year I’m well inside the threshold. I’m very fortunate with this company. I also get $35 per hour if I need to do work on the truck.

If it’s paid as a meal allowance, surely that’s the same as you claim back as per diem, if you get both that’s double dipping?

No, living allowance is somewhat different. The meal allowance is a refund from CRA. The living allowance is paid by the company. It’s a nice perk.

So the taxman gets his chunk then…