8 to 10-metre (ie pre-12m) tilts from the '60s

tiptop495:
Hey, Nice pic’s Robert.
Here some more, most are over '33ft, most used in de '60’s were between 11 and 12 meters here, later 12.20 40ft’s.
And so we moved up to 12.50±, 13.10± 13.60, and now real 45ft’s 13.75 meters.

An interesting thread! Last picture shows a truck, maybe a Belgian Miesse, that seems to have been built on the chassis of an ex-WW II International tractor. Just as were Loheac trucks in France.

Froggy55:

tiptop495:
Hey, Nice pic’s Robert.
Here some more, most are over '33ft, most used in de '60’s were between 11 and 12 meters here, later 12.20 40ft’s.

An interesting thread! Last picture shows a truck, maybe a Belgian Miesse, that seems to have been built on the chassis of an ex-WW II International tractor. Just as were Loheac trucks in France.

I think it’s a bonnetted MAN, Froggy, like this one I took in Turkey in the '90s.

zzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

tiptop495:
Hey,

But why were this in the picture so short in the U.K. at that time,think about 8 meters 26 ft, was it overall lenght ■■? or trailer lenght,
or a law anti artic’s. And what could you achive within the later legislation with the overall lenght of 13 meters (42 ft) ■■ Where you had to use 5 axles to become legally 32.5 ton.

Eric,

A wonderful picture, Eric! And yes, I suspect those 1950s UK tilts were about 8m +, as they look too short to be 10m (33-ft) trailers. I passed my test pulling a 10m trailer so I have a concept of what kind of space that length occupies on the road.

Our UK rules changed in spasms: for example, we raised our gross weight from 32 tons to 38 tonnes in 1983 but we didn’t adopt 13.6m trailers to replace 12m trailers until 1990. Double wheels versus super-singles was all about perceived stability. As we all know, ‘construction and use’ regulations take ages to catch up with the times!

Can anyone on here remember what the actual length of those '50s tilts was?

Some information, inside measures but outside will be not much more.
Eric,

Rowena

ERF-NGC-European:

Froggy55:

tiptop495:
Hey, Nice pic’s Robert.

I think it’s a bonnetted MAN, Froggy, like this one I took in Turkey in the '90s.

tiptop495:

ERF-NGC-European:

tiptop495:
Hey,

But why were this in the picture so short in the U.K. at that time,think about 8 meters 26 ft, was it overall lenght ■■? or trailer lenght,
or a law anti artic’s. And what could you achive within the later legislation with the overall lenght of 13 meters (42 ft) ■■ Where you had to use 5 axles to become legally 32.5 ton.

Eric,

A wonderful picture, Eric! And yes, I suspect those 1950s UK tilts were about 8m +, as they look too short to be 10m (33-ft) trailers. I passed my test pulling a 10m trailer so I have a concept of what kind of space that length occupies on the road.

Our UK rules changed in spasms: for example, we raised our gross weight from 32 tons to 38 tonnes in 1983 but we didn’t adopt 13.6m trailers to replace 12m trailers until 1990. Double wheels versus super-singles was all about perceived stability. As we all know, ‘construction and use’ regulations take ages to catch up with the times!

Can anyone on here remember what the actual length of those '50s tilts was?

Some information, inside measures but outside will be not much more.
Eric,

Rowena

Eric, that’s fantastic! Cheers! Now we have the precise information I sought. Ackworth appear to have been offering 8m tilts, 10m tilts and 11m tilts simultaneously to suit the needs of its various customers. How’s that for service! You’re a star.

102830474_3195710997138528_5529493000146948595_n.jpg

tiptop495:

ERF-NGC-European:

Froggy55:

tiptop495:
Hey, Nice pic’s Robert.

Again spot on Eric: that’s the model of MAN I meant. :sunglasses: - and complete with 8m tilt for authenticity!

Froggy55:

tiptop495:
Hey, Nice pic’s Robert.

Hey Froggy,

The Miesse model looks very well of the WW II International (also built by Kenworth and Marmon which was mostly in France sold the Marmon)
But the Miesse was a completely new devlopement of Miesse but very copied on the International, and mostly engined by Gardner, bigger models got DD, ■■■■■■■ and so on. It was a compact heavy lorry at that time, and sold very well.Here one at work.

Eric,

The cab’s as here were mostly built at COOVI Jette near Brussels, a very well known coach-builder with a very good reputation.
You could see them on a lot of ex WW II trucks. Here a Mack with one.

I can certainly see where you were coming from with the Miesse, Froggy: that rear 3/4 view of the tracteur makes it hard to distinguish Miesse from MAN!

I must say, whenever I start one of these threads I always end up learning far more than I knew when I started it! :laughing:

:sunglasses:

Ackworth and the Belgian haulier Van Gaever worked very well together.
This here was a cooperation Van Gaever CRTS, at a moment they even tought to send trailers to the U.S.

tiptop495:
This here was a cooperation Van Gaever CRTS, at a moment they even tought to send trailers to the U.S.

I notice from the pamphlet you posted, that Turkey is mentioned on their list of destinations. I didn’t know Ackworth ventured into the (near) Middle East! It would be interesting to see any photos of those trips.

At that time we had a lot of small manufactures who built wat was asked by customers, very strong and of course a bit heavy too.
But Belgians as even Dutchman liked always to be overloaded for 50% :smiley: :smiley: , Not any more today, weightbridge controls has become a daily
norm. :frowning: :frowning: Overloading was our national sport at that time. :smiley: :smiley:
Here a very strong MOL.

tiptop495:
At that time we had a lot of small manufactures who built wat was asked by customers, very strong and of course a bit heavy too.
But Belgians as even Dutchman liked always to be overloaded for 50% :smiley: :smiley: , Not any more today, weightbridge controls has become a daily
norm. :frowning: :frowning: Overloading was our national sport at that time. :smiley: :smiley:
Here a very strong MOL.

That trailer stands high for a European tilt. That’s more like the height of an English one! The customer was clearly not planning on going under any low bridges.

ERF-NGC-European:

tiptop495:

I notice from the pamphlet you posted, that Turkey is mentioned on their list of destinations. I didn’t know Ackworth ventured into the (near) Middle East! It would be interesting to see any photos of those trips.

Don’t know sure Robert, but think that Van Gaever took over the trailer at Antwerp port, which came unaccompanied, the same they did on the Moscou trips around 1960.

ERF-NGC-European:

tiptop495:
Here a very strong MOL.

That trailer stands high for a European tilt. That’s more like the height of an English one! The customer was clearly not planning on going under any low bridges.

It was built for glass transportation, big windows like today tranporting them with inloaders.
You had to be very carfully in the Netherlands.

tiptop495:

ERF-NGC-European:

tiptop495:

Don’t know sure Robert, but think that Van Gaever took over the trailer at Antwerp port, which came unaccompanied, the same they did on the Moscou trips around 1960.

Yes, I believe that is correct Eric. Great pic!

Was there a lenght limiet for artics, because of the short 26ft trailers ■■
Later the UK had a limiet of 13 meters, I think, and then 15 or 15.5 ■■

Crane Fruehauf.

tiptop495:
Was there a lenght limiet for artics, because of the short 26ft trailers ■■
Later the UK had a limiet of 13 meters, I think, and then 15 or 15.5 ■■

Yes Eric. The overall length for artics dictated the configuration. An interesting loop-hole in that rule was when we changed from 12m trailers to 13.6m. You could just get a bonnetted artic with a day cab and a short wheelbase under a 12m trailer and remain within the law. But no one here much used bonnetted tractors because of that rule. I remember someone with a maroon Scania T142 running with a 12m tautliner. DEANB probably has a picture of it!

Here is another one Ro from a previous thread on here.