6x2 tag vs 4x2

Depends how long you want to keep it, a 6x2 tag will sell on easier than a 4x2.

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

If your current 450 is old shape, you’re going to have to take into account the new gens are heavier, could be talking another 500kg.

Just spoke to the other driver Judd, managed to squeeze 28,400 lts in it today and went over the scales at 44020 kg with 1/2 tank and a 20 stone driver. It is a new shape (2018).

On a related note, are the Scania 6x2 mid lifts steered or fixed? I’ve checked some ads on trucks.autotrader.co.uk where they have the steering axle on a jaunty angle, but some show the mid lift part steered and others appear to show the mid lift fixed. Was it an option? :confused:

R420:
Just spoke to the other driver Judd, managed to squeeze 28,400 lts in it today and went over the scales at 44020 kg with 1/2 tank and a 20 stone driver. It is a new shape (2018).

On a related note, are the Scania 6x2 mid lifts steered or fixed? I’ve checked some ads on trucks.autotrader.co.uk where they have the steering axle on a jaunty angle, but some show the mid lift part steered and others appear to show the mid lift fixed. Was it an option? :confused:

Old shape with full sized mid lift second steer was an option so i’d be most surprised if the new gen wasn’t the same, it adds a bit more weight though that could probably be alleviated by speccing alloy wheels, could save a bit more again by speccing small mid lift wheels.

Would have been interesting to split weigh that 44 ton gross, check what’s being imposed on the trailer, not as you can do much about it seeing as the thing isn’t compartmented but be nice to know if any issues there before a tug happens, it’s too easy to overload one or more trailer axles at full weight.

Letter in T&D from the transport manager if a large builders merchant, can’t remember which one. Puts the case why they went 6x2 Scania on a cost basis.

Munchkin:
Letter in T&D from the transport manager if a large builders merchant, can’t remember which one. Puts the case why they went 6x2 Scania on a cost basis.

Travis Perkins :wink:

Truck is going back. Drove it yesterday and it has pump gear on it which we don’t need for transhipping from the rigids or offloading at the other end. After some weighbridge and volume calculations, the max we can get in it is 27900 ltrs, perhaps 27920 at a push as the weighbridge is to the nearest 20kg. That’s about 600 ltrs down on most other tankers that are doing 28500 ltrs, but they don’t have pump kit on their tractor and not a topline cab either. I reckon it’s those where we’re losing the capacity, especially the pump kit and hydraulic tank/fluid.

Truck itself drove fine, albeit Merc-style power (ie. none) at full weight. No problems with tag down and none with it up and empty either - in fact the quick steering on the short wheelbase makes for swift roundabout progress when running empty, especially in M mode :smiley: . Still looking at a Scania, but now a 6x2 mid with 500 hp lump, mid height cab and 5 stage retarder as the 2 stage exhaust “brake” does ■■■■ all. The gaffer was talking about DAFs and Mercs instead earlier :astonished: - we quickly got that idea out of his head :open_mouth: .

R420:
Truck is going back. Drove it yesterday and it has pump gear on it which we don’t need for transhipping from the rigids or offloading at the other end. After some weighbridge and volume calculations, the max we can get in it is 27900 ltrs, perhaps 27920 at a push as the weighbridge is to the nearest 20kg. That’s about 600 ltrs down on most other tankers that are doing 28500 ltrs, but they don’t have pump kit on their tractor and not a topline cab either. I reckon it’s those where we’re losing the capacity, especially the pump kit and hydraulic tank/fluid.

Truck itself drove fine, albeit Merc-style power (ie. none) at full weight. No problems with tag down and none with it up and empty either - in fact the quick steering on the short wheelbase makes for swift roundabout progress when running empty, especially in M mode :smiley: . Still looking at a Scania, but now a 6x2 mid with 500 hp lump, mid height cab and 5 stage retarder as the 2 stage exhaust “brake” does [zb] all. The gaffer was talking about DAFs and Mercs instead earlier :astonished: - we quickly got that idea out of his head :open_mouth: .

So he’s gonna get a MAN TGX then [emoji23][emoji23][emoji16]

Sent while in furlough

MAN 500/510 could be some 350kgs lighter than equivalent Scanny, spec a small wheel mid lift (19 wheels on small mid which is larger than most, circa 5.3 ton Gross axle if my memory serves) all alloy wheels and you could be 500kgs in hand over the equivalent Swede.
Redesigned cabs from now on, very Scania’ish inside (they are now joined companies), it’s a better vehicle than you might imagine, MAN have made huge strides since the euro5 EGR engine debacle did nothing for their reputation.
A tip for you if one is considered, spec full retarder and LED headlight option as well as premium sound system.

Agree with you re. the two makes you’re dismissing.

Blue estate : no chance man! Gaffer is a bit of a Scania fanboy it seems. I’ve been given my orders to head up to Trafford Park in the morning to pick up another new one, but this one won’t have pump kit on it. Don’t know about the rest of the spec yet.

Judd thanks for the MAN info, hopefully it won’t get to that point. To be honest the previous gen (65 plate in my case) was an okay truck for motorway work on smooth roads as they’re well cushioned, but I don’t think they’d work well on rough tracks as the bouncy cab would be throwing you all over the place. They don’t strike me as being particularly durable either (recalling how the ashtray catch broke on every single MAN within a week of them being delivered). I know they make construction variants as well but you rarely see them about on the roads which tends to suggest that other operators have tried them and found them to be a bit ■■■■ and gone back to a known quantity like Scania or Volvo.

Getting back to the tank capacities, I was talking with a Shuttleworth’s driver earlier with a DAF XF space cab 6x2 with mini mid-lift (all steel on the unit) and a tri-axle trailer on alloys with no pipes or kit and he can get 29000 litres with 3/4 tank of juice :open_mouth: . Reckons another 100 litres if the unit was on alloys as well.