4x2 or 6x2

Im looking at putting a unit on the road doing fridge work, what I would like to know is what would be best a 4x2 or 6x2. For about 8 months of the year I will be running to Holland and back with loads of about 18/20 tonnes, the remaining 4 months will be mainly UK work 24/26 tonnes. Would I be overweight on the pin with a 4x2. The pro’s and cons of a 4x2 that I can see are slightly better MPG and with bigger tanks with which I would be able to buy more fuel abroad which is a bit cheaper, but than I have the problem with being overweight on the pin and of cource the road tax. Any views on this please.

at 24/26 tonnes, i think you would be pushing the wrong side of your total gross weight with a 4x2

the road tax is £1200 per year for a 6x2 and £1850 (i think) for a 4x2

why would a 4x2 be better on fuel than a 6x2?

if it is light enough load, you would be running with the lift axle up anyway.

you could fit bigger tanks on a 4x2, but you could always have the batteries moved and fit a second tank on 1 6x2

don’t want to sound pessimistic, but what if the Holland work dries up? a 6x2 unit is more versatile

don’t want to sound pessimistic, but what if the Holland work dries up? a 6x2 unit is more versatile

Good point, always expect the unexpected!!!

i had a 6x2 fh12 which had twin tanks and carried 1000 or 1200litres of fuel cant quite remember which .

not as much as 4x2 i no but enough to run abroad .

lower road tax as rob said on 6x2 and more work options should anything go belly up.

I don’t know what the tare of a reefer is but surely you’re not going to get a payload of 26t with a 4x2 unit? Even taxed at 40t (which is very expensive as others have mentioned) that only leaves you 14t for the unit+trailer and if you’re going to be fitting huge tanks you’ll probably need 1t of that for the fuel alone…

If fuel capacity is a big issue and you don’t want to be carrying lots of unnecessary weight around when you’re in Europe with the lighter loads then why not consider a 6x2 with the small middle axle? That way you get the cheaper tax and plenty of space to fit 1000l or more of fuel.

Paul

I vote 6x2 at 44 tonnes. Just get a long wheel base one with big tanks. Or you could hire a 4x2 for 8 months of the year and then change it for a 6x2 4 months of the year… I wouldn’t say you’d be legal pulling 26 tonne loads with a 4x2.

6x2, and tax it at 41tons.
you will have plenty of room for fuel with a pusher axle.
if you end up doing several drops, then you won’t be too concerned with your drive axle weight when you’ve taken off several pallets from the rear, as you will have the mid lift as a bit of compensation.

It now seems clear that I should get a 6x2 tractor unit, Ive been looking at Daf superspace cabs 04/05 plate I really like the AS Tronic box but has anyone had problems with these? Ive set a budget of £20,000 would I get a reasonable truck with this?

BigE:
It now seems clear that I should get a 6x2 tractor unit, Ive been looking at Daf superspace cabs 04/05 plate I really like the AS Tronic box but has anyone had problems with these? Ive set a budget of £20,000 would I get a reasonable truck with this?

My advice is avoid dafs like the plage. I know of 12.6 litre 06 plates needing a rebuild already compared to 01 volvo and scanias that have done over a million clicks without being touched.
common problems with dafs include…
Headgasket failiure
Blots shearing when removing brake discs from hubs
constant airleaks
syncros go on the two top gears as early as 650k clicks or a bit later if its had the correct syntech oil in it.

25k will get you a 05 420 topline full spec with fsh from a scania dealer or duy a 55 reg 480 daf for 15 grand and spend 15k on it in the first 2 yrs.

Get a scania hpi, although more expensive to purchase the mpg will more than make up for it and also the resale value.

also if you do need any parts for a scania, they will be on the shelf, Daf will have to order them in.

but if you do buy a daf at least you can look at the cab that dates fron 1987. very nice - not

BigE:

:unamused:

If you can get one of them with a mini lift. You have the best of all worlds, room for bigger tanks and the option to run at 44t.
Put a set of side skirts on, and no-one will even know it’s a 6 wheeler :laughing:

dozer:

BigE:

My advice is avoid dafs like the plage. I know of 12.6 litre 06 plates needing a rebuild already compared to 01 volvo and scanias that have done over a million clicks without being touched.
Headgasket failiure
constant airleaks
syncros go on the two top gears as early as 650k clicks or a bit later if its had the correct syntech oil in it.

25k will get you a 05 420 topline full spec with fsh from a scania dealer or duy a 55 reg 480 daf for 15 grand and spend 15k on it in the first 2 yrs.

Get a scania hpi, although more expensive to purchase the mpg will more than make up for it and also the resale value.

also if you do need any parts for a scania, they will be on the shelf, Daf will have to order them in.

but if you do buy a daf at least you can look at the cab that dates fron 1987. very nice - not

Sorry Dozer but there are not any synchros in an As-tronic gearbox :confused: :confused: They are basically a crash gearbox with an automated(electronic) gear selector so synchros are not fitted as not needed and as a result the gearboxes are lighter. :slight_smile:

The DAF cab may date bake to 1987 but in my opinion is by far a better environment then a modern Scania :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

BigE:

firstly, don’t bother with a 410. the 460 is much more ecconomical.
why not discuss lease terms on a brand new motor. full R+M, recovery, courtesy unit.
i did some costings a couple of years ago. it was cheaper in the long run to get a brand new motor on lease and have some cash spare, than buy a second hand one. if you brake down, they sort it out, you don’t let your customers down. you just don’t have to worry.
a mate of mine has always had second hand trucks, he never had spare cash to take on new contracts, all he could ever be was a subby. when i sat him down and added up all the money he had spent on maintenence, loss of work due to the truck being off the road, etc. he couldn’t believe that it worked out cheaper in his case to get a new one.

limeyphil:

BigE:

firstly, don’t bother with a 410. the 460 is much more ecconomical.
why not discuss lease terms on a brand new motor. full R+M, recovery, courtesy unit.
i did some costings a couple of years ago. it was cheaper in the long run to get a brand new motor on lease and have some cash spare, than buy a second hand one. if you brake down, they sort it out, you don’t let your customers down. you just don’t have to worry.
a mate of mine has always had second hand trucks, he never had spare cash to take on new contracts, all he could ever be was a subby. when i sat him down and added up all the money he had spent on maintenence, loss of work due to the truck being off the road, etc. he couldn’t believe that it worked out cheaper in his case to get a new one.

Can’t argue with any of that!

annitram:

dozer:

BigE:

Headgasket failiure
constant airleaks

Sorry Dozer but there are not any synchros in an As-tronic gearbox :confused: :confused: They are basically a crash gearbox with an automated(electronic) gear selector so synchros are not fitted as not needed and as a result the gearboxes are lighter. :slight_smile:

The DAF cab may date bake to 1987 but in my opinion is by far a better environment then a modern Scania :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

more to go wrong with an already inferior quality product!