380 tonne transformer on North Circ

thunder367:
the rear unit is a army unit the ones the uk army are taking delivery of.they come in brand new in army colours stripped and equip to ales requirements.saw 2 in the depot just outside stafford when i was tipping a loading there last year.we do quite a bit of work for them hauling the module units all over uk for what ever jobs they need them on

Sorry mate your incorrect the rear unit is a Trojan designed and built by ALE - the front unit is a Unipower that was a demo truck for trials with the Army- but the contract went to Oshkosh - and ALE then bought it, Unipower no longer exists as they needed the heavy lift army contract to survive.

I know this because the contract for the army heavy lift included the trucks, the trailers, the drivers and all the support infrastructure- Unipower was to provide the trucks, Andover/Goldhofer the trailers and Econofreight the drivers and infrastructure - but lost out to the KBR /Oshkosh combination who now have it under the FTX banner

ALE have got factsheets on a fair bit of their kit, including the Trojan tractors.

ale-heavylift.com/equipment/ … rtation-2/

I’m sure he came tanking past me in the J16-19 M6 roadworks the other night. I was doing 50, and he was about 6ft from a Stobrat’s back door. He pulled in without waiting for me to flash him too.

slowlane:
ALE have got factsheets on a fair bit of their kit, including the Trojan tractors.

There’s just the question regarding the use of the 16 litre Volvo v the CAT C18 used in the HET ?.When the CAT puts out some impressive figures v the Volvo with the Oshkosh seeming to be supreme from that point at least in terms of power ?.

Although the Unipower v HET seems to have been the choice of K series ■■■■■■■ v Detroit 8v92 ? in the day when the Commander was replaced.

Carryfast:

slowlane:

There’s just the question regarding the use of the 16 litre Volvo v the CAT C18 used in the HET ?.When the CAT puts out some impressive figures v the Volvo with the Oshkosh seeming to be supreme from that point at least in terms of power ?.

Although the Unipower v HET seems to have been the choice of K series ■■■■■■■ v Detroit 8v92 ? in the day when the Commander was replaced.

The 16 litre Volvo is a road going engine and will have a bigger spread of power and torque over a given rev range. The CAT engine is an industrial engine, its main use being generators and wont be as flexible due to its cam/injection timing. These are usually fixed given that a genset runs at a constant speed.

Carryfast:

slowlane:

The only person asking that question is you Carryfast, nobody else has, not the designers, builders or owners of the thing, just you!

AndrewG, I’m not sure, having no experience of them, but those big heavy haul units run a torque converter between engine and transmission, wouldn’t this allow rpms to be kept at a consistent speed, therefore allowing use of generator spec ECM parameters and cams/timing?

The het dose have a torque converter but it only has it as it runs an Allison gearbox a proper auto box no clutch

raymundo:
ALE also had a MAN with either 730 or 750 hp as a pusher.

I’ve had ALE rigs past my house twice, and the front unit was an MAN 580bhp tractor, 4 axles with ballast. The back unit was a FAUN Koloss 3-axle (‘David’ as opposed to the 4-axle Goliath). They had a similar girder-frame trailer system as in the NC video, but it was smaller as the transformer was ‘only’ 180 tonnes, but the frame allows the unit to be hung rather than supported by a low loader, so as to minimise overall height.

I took some pictures of the rig, which went from Tilbury, over the bridge, round the M25 and up the A3 into London and then out to the sub-station off the Old Kent Road. It took two days, resting at Clackett Lane services overnight.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/ … VVjR2hhWjA

You’ll notice that the truck is coming out of a service road alongside the A3 and then back onto the main road – that was because only the edge of the bridge over the Hogsmill river was deemed strong enough to carry the load – the actual carriageway of the A3 wasn’t!

newmercman:

Carryfast:

The only person asking that question is you Carryfast, nobody else has, not the designers, builders or owners of the thing, just you!

I don’t think there was any suggestion otherwise that it was just me asking the question I wonder why they wouldn’t have gone for the C18,as in the Oshkosh,v relatively lower output Volvo.

IndigoJo:

raymundo:

I’ve had ALE rigs past my house twice, and the front unit was an MAN 580bhp tractor, 4 axles with ballast. The back unit was a FAUN Koloss 3-axle (‘David’ as opposed to the 4-axle Goliath). They had a similar girder-frame trailer system as in the NC video, but it was smaller as the transformer was ‘only’ 180 tonnes, but the frame allows the unit to be hung rather than supported by a low loader, so as to minimise overall height.

I took some pictures of the rig, which went from Tilbury, over the bridge, round the M25 and up the A3 into London and then out to the sub-station off the Old Kent Road. It took two days, resting at Clackett Lane services overnight.

You’ll notice that the truck is coming out of a service road alongside the A3 and then back onto the main road – that was because only the edge of the bridge over the Hogsmill river was deemed strong enough to carry the load – the actual carriageway of the A3 wasn’t!

Great pics, thanks Jo :sunglasses:

slowlane:

IndigoJo:

raymundo:

Great pics, thanks Jo :sunglasses:

Knowing how tight that junction would be for that outfit,from the side road around the island at the end and onto the entry slip,that’s a great example of the manouvreability of the ballast tractor type configuration.

newmercman:
AndrewG, I’m not sure, having no experience of them, but those big heavy haul units run a torque converter between engine and transmission, wouldn’t this allow rpms to be kept at a consistent speed, therefore allowing use of generator spec ECM parameters and cams/timing?

Youre correct if it has a standard type torque converter these will allow multiplication of torque but i think (i stand to be corrected though) that the typw used in these applications involving massive load will have a mechanical lock on the TC to prevent ‘slippage’ as it were and would act more like a fluid coupling in which case a road going engine like the 16litre Volvo would be more suited than the C18 Cat. I am only guessing here though because although ive pulled many an engine and box apart i dont have experience of these particular trucks :wink:

AndrewG:

newmercman:

Youre correct if it has a standard type torque converter these will allow multiplication of torque but i think (i stand to be corrected though) that the typw used in these applications involving massive load will have a mechanical lock on the TC to prevent ‘slippage’ as it were and would act more like a fluid coupling in which case a road going engine like the 16litre Volvo would be more suited than the C18 Cat. I am only guessing here though because although ive pulled many an engine and box apart i dont have experience of these particular trucks :wink:

The cat c18 engine as fitted to the Oshkosh m1070f is used as a normal engine going though the rev range and also has a jake brake fitted it’s just an engine just produces more torque as standard it’s only rated at 700bhp but can be tweaked higher