Allelys Heavy Haulage @ Didcot

Allelys moved a 600ton transformer out of Didcot Power Station last night. Thought i’d missed it but caught it as i drove home. Be rude not to stop and watch.

And a short vid. youtube.com/watch?v=uqWoVeYtQXQ Watch at 4:55 the first pusher tractor gets lifted off the ground by the pusher bar

The prime movers were a MAN V8 680bhp, MAN V10 660bhp, 2x DAF XF 510bhp

Look like a good outfit , usually see them moving trains , would love to do that sort of work

Does anyone know what the things are on the back of the units ? Always wonderd lol

Smoggie89:
Does anyone know what the things are on the back of the units ? Always wonderd lol

Do you mean the sheeted boxes? if so they are boxes full of weights- needed to ensure the trucks retains traction when pushing/pulling - when “on the bar” no weight is imposed on the unit by the trailer or load so the weights are used instead the box fits on with container locks and then filled to the required weight
Heres one of my old motor ballasted up to 41 tonne-

If you mean the tanks etc - they are usually the fuel tanks/batteries/tool boxes etc moved of the chassis to provide room for things like extra axles, torque converters… on mine it had an extra radiator mounted behind the cab to provide cooling for the torque converter and retarder

Ahh right seen them n always wonderd , looks a good job heavy haulage especially stuff like they move