26t man tgm rear axle/wheel advice

edd1974:
So many buttons and switches to play with. And best be shown rather than push buttons randomly

And spoil all the fun [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave docwra:

toonsy:

4yorks:
We used to have these at my old place… If you lift the rear axle it “magically” turns from a 26 tonner to an 18 tonner [emoji6]

Very handy for 18 tonne bridges and 18 tonne tolls roads… When doing the London run I’d often go over Tower Bridge (18 tonne limit) by simply lifting the rear axle.

Sent from my SM-G965F using
Tapatalk

When you lift the axle dies it magically change the maximum gross plated weight of the vehicle too?

No :smiley: only Tippex can do that…

That’s sound then. Next time I come across a 7.5t weight limit I’ll just take a few wheels off the artic and tippex the plate and it’ll be grand :grimacing:

Did my class 2 and 1 and didn’t learn about this stuff. My introduction to axles that go up and down was playing with buttons when doing a shift at a builders merchant.

Also didn’t learn about how to adjust air suspension to level truck on class 2 or how a tail lift operates. All pretty useful stuff. But then I wouldn’t want to pay 2/3 times as much to be taught it either.

Fair play to the op for asking. And shame on certain people who seem to think owning a nail or two makes them fit to criticize others.

edd1974:
I partly agree. Hire company or somone should shown me a quick 5 mins all it takes.
Anyone who takes possession of a new truck .esp these days with all the gadgets technology. Lane control adaptive cruise control etc. When you take a new truck somone from sales /hire place should show you how it all works.
As if you’ve driven bog standard truck for years then get a new one where do you start. So many buttons and switches to play with. And best be shown rather than push buttons randomly

as others have said - "Why spoil all the fun " lol

I got thrown into a new FH4 500 at 03.00 one frosty morning in March keys were left in the side pocket for me . That was fun - first load was a 15000 liter load of cream in a 30000 l tank with no baffles - I WAS BRICKING IT . Can you imagine that phonecall - "Hi I’ve crashed my new lorry on its first load - slid on the black ice and stuck it through the hedge "
I do actually agree - when you get a new truch you need a couple of hours “training” in it to help you get the best out of it as quicly as possible .

The lessons are a bit basic when you think. You drive pass your test that’s it.
Surely they should show you basics as well i.e. tail lift .suspension how to open close a curtain. Etc.
Maybe do away with reversing around a cone. Make you reverse onto a loading bay .

I joined an agency and learnt so much different trucks jobs etc all self taught. As no one seems to help you anymore…
Remember 1st time in fridge wagon…told p h haven’t used one before they gave me a quick show how it works. Although learnt more off other drivers etc.
This cpc is supposed make us better drivers etc.
Surely instead sitting in a classroom.bored to death watching videos. Can’t one module somehow involve being shown taillifts suspensions how things operate how to use a ratchet strap properly.etc and basic mechanical stuff. As would come In usefull to some .

edd1974:
The lessons are a bit basic when you think. You drive pass your test that’s it.
Surely they should show you basics as well i.e. tail lift .suspension how to open close a curtain. Etc.
Maybe do away with reversing around a cone. Make you reverse onto a loading bay .

I joined an agency and learnt so much different trucks jobs etc all self taught. As no one seems to help you anymore…
Remember 1st time in fridge wagon…told p h haven’t used one before they gave me a quick show how it works. Although learnt more off other drivers etc.
This cpc is supposed make us better drivers etc.
Surely instead sitting in a classroom.bored to death watching videos. Can’t one module somehow involve being shown taillifts suspensions how things operate how to use a ratchet strap properly.etc and basic mechanical stuff. As would come In usefull to some .

I agree. Every one was new at some point (apart from those who found their own way out the womb using an atlas etc).

But its the companies to blame a lot aswell. I’ve worked at places where your first week is literally being shown everything and whilst it’s overkill a day would be handy doing practical stuff rather than arse covering box ticking exercises.

But it costs so there’s your issue. Why pay money to try and prevent mishaps when they can save that cash and hope for the best :unamused:

It’s madness that your allowed to gain commercial licence without learning some basics. Strapping and tachographs, learnt the theory behind them yes. But dunno about anyone else, the only way I learn is hands on.

On your initial CPC nowadays you have to show how to use a ratchet of some sort, but this is on a standalone metal frame. Why not have to strap down the ibcs that your wagon is carrying.

And run the test using your digi card. Show the examiner you know how to use it, manual entry and all.

I wouldn’t want a pilot flying me around after a 90 minute test in the air and shed loads of questions sat in front of a computer on ground. No chance.

I drive a TGM 26t with drag, single rear is a steering axle but twins aren’t. There’s one button for lifting the axle and the other is for air to drive axle for traction. Cab is a bit cramped(day cab) though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk