2.15 AM

who else works nights and finds themselves getting back up and out of bed, wide awake on Saturday and Sunday nights ■■

Share your pain brother. Trouble is if I change my sleep pattern too much on a weekend, I’m buggered for my Monday shift.

Captain Caveman 76:
Share your pain brother. Trouble is if I change my sleep pattern too much on a weekend, I’m buggered for my Monday shift.

Yep
4 on 2 off
I just stay in the groove

Me, but I’m only up to watch the world super bike race at Philip Island :sunglasses:

nick2008:

Captain Caveman 76:

Yep
4 on 2 off
I just stay in the groove

4 on 4 off nights and I don’t mess my sleep pattern up too much either, I tend to stay up till about 5 ~ 6 ish and then get up early afternoon even on my nights off, there are of course occasions like unavoidable a.m. appointments or repairman house calls but for the most part I stick to my routine.

Same here, thats why I spend so much time on the computer.
So far this morning watched a film, ate some food, walked the dog, fed the dog and now tapping merrily away.

Rew:
Me, but I’m only up to watch the world super bike race at Philip Island :sunglasses:

My heart sank and I was prepared to hate you when I read that 'cos I thought you were about to blurt out the results! You didn’t, so you are back on my Christmas card list :smiley:

Finish my coffee and sausage sarnie and I’ll be watching the recording whilst avoiding social media.

Trukkertone:
who else works nights and finds themselves getting back up and out of bed, wide awake on Saturday and Sunday nights ■■

Thats because its a zombie life and no matter how long you do it you never fully get use to it

youtube.com/watch?v=1K0eknfuix8

nightline:

Trukkertone:

Thats because in my opinion its a zombie life and no matter how long I’d do it I would never fully get use to it, so it’s obviously not for me but nonetheless I respect those that prefer it

ftfy…

It’s really not that difficult to be non derogatory in a post you know :wink:

(bleedin’ daywalkers) :stuck_out_tongue:

Trukkertone:

I don’t bother going to bed until my usual time. Had a reason to go see a headache consultant recently and mentioned I worked nights and she asked about my sleeping. I said I keep the same one on a weekend as I do during the week and she said that was the best as it causes quite a lot of problems when you change.

Years ago I used to try to go back to normal on a weekend and all that resulted in was feeling permanently knackered all the time. Nowdays I’m wide awake throughout my night shift so its definitely better sticking to it. Been doing it long enough that the wife has got used to it and planning around it. Even my lad rings my missus first to see if I’m up before ringing me.

4/4 nights but have a 1year old to look after on days off so have to revert to sleeping at night. Best method for me is to take the hit with a short sleep on the first night back off (say 0700 - 1100) then I’ll be tired for the rest of that day and ready to sleep through the night in time to get up early for day 2 with the bairn. Come the last day I’ll sleep in as late as possible to drive through the following night.

Was a pain in the ar.se at first but after a month or so it became routine.

Conor:
keep the same one on a weekend as I do during the week and she said that was the best as it causes quite a lot of problems when you change.

Also bearing in mind that the ‘problems’ caused to sleep patterns,by trying to revert to day time life during weekends,could mean falling asleep at the wheel and possibly not waking up again or facing a prison sentence. :bulb:

nightline:

Trukkertone:

Thats because its a zombie life and no matter how long you do it you never fully get use to it

I’ve done nights for my entire HGV career, and took to it like a duck to water from my first night.

I do 4 on 4 off and don’t change my sleeping pattern for my nights off. I live my entire life going to bed between 4-7am, and rising between 12midday-3pm. I just can’t do days.

ezydriver:

nightline:

Trukkertone:

I’ve done nights for my entire HGV career, and took to it like a duck to water from my first night.

I do 4 on 4 off and don’t change my sleeping pattern for my nights off. I live my entire life going to bed between 4-7am, and rising between 12midday-3pm. I just can’t do days.

I saw the sun the other day and thought I was going to burst into flames. That and my aversion to garlic are starting to make me wonder…

Not a cat in hells chance that I could do nights on long term, bad for your health and reduces your life span. Can’t see any money compensating that. Night drivers always look ill to me, no colour to them or sparkle in their eyes. Not saying everyone as I am sure some will take to it ok, but in general, you can usually tell a night worker from a normal worker. It isn’t normal and it certainly wouldn’t suit me. Studies have been done on this subject and it is a scientific fact that long term night working does indeed shorten your lifespan as well as cause a lot of health issues.

hi all
i did 13 years of nights (by choice) from 1975 to 1988 this a mon to fri job some odd sunday nights at double time,i loved my time on that for rugby cement at there leeds depot,plenty of time to do the
job and top money, plenty of mates from other companies on trunk used to play cards at woodall with
the motorway police + the brs lads or yardleys/ kosset carpets/rowntrees of york etc good times, have been retired 12 yrs health has been good ,had no problems sleeping when i was on nights, on look back the only problem if you call it problem were the old ERFs and fodens that the company ran up to 12yrs old bloody cold.
best regards to all you drivers
snowman 1 :smiley: :smiley:

UKtramp:
Not a cat in hells chance that I could do nights on long term, bad for your health and reduces your life span. Can’t see any money compensating that. Night drivers always look ill to me, no colour to them or sparkle in their eyes. Not saying everyone as I am sure some will take to it ok, but in general, you can usually tell a night worker from a normal worker. It isn’t normal and it certainly wouldn’t suit me. Studies have been done on this subject and it is a scientific fact that long term night working does indeed shorten your lifespan as well as cause a lot of health issues.

Blimey by that logic submarine crews and below decks ship crews would be dropping like flies long before their retirement.IE periods of months submerged in which they don’t even know whether it’s day or night other than what the 24 hour clock says and changing time zones continuously even if they do get to see the outside world in the case of surface ships.

My experience is similar to the Snowman’s.I worked permanent nights for 15 years until I retired.I had a bad prostate experience,unconnected to work.I’ve been retired 3 years and my body clock hasn’t adjusted so if any family or friends want anything doing at 2 - 4am,I’m the volunteer.It is also useful when I drive overnight to Alicante overnight from disembarking the ferry.At home I rarely wake up until 1130 to noon as does my wife.Our lifestyle suits us both well.At 70 years old I am still fit enough to referee rugby matches maybe not as quickly as I used to though.

UKtramp:

I’m sure that’s of great comfort to all you daywalkers when you’re sat in heavy traffic on the M25 - M6 - M whatever sucking in all those toxic concentrated fumes, did I mention us night workers rarely see heavy congestion? :wink:

I’ve found that the people who struggle with nights are the same people that never really truly adapt to nights, they still try living their lives as if they were day men, and that’s where the zombie pasty faced ill looking people stem from.