Vosa insecure loads

Hi all notices have gone up at our agg industries block plant about vosa and police handing out points for insecure loads,it says marshalls drivers have also recieved points,its supposedly a nationwide clampdown ,anybody any facts about this…

I’ve heard they’re intending to do you for insecure if they believe the load’s insecure. I can see VOSA telling a tipper driver that a load of broken concrete is insecure if it’s not sheeted…Cue plenty of torn sheets :unamused:
There’s some info on new rules in Mays Trycking mag.

We’re having the same problem. But it’s with our plant and accommodation units, not the actual plant etc. :imp:

Even after unloading, we now have to stow away, or ratchet strap down any lashing or lifting chains. Redoing and then undoing this strap is now just annoying me!!

In all the years doing plant etc, I’ve not had a chain move on the bed. :imp:

I’m a Marshalls driver and I ain’t heard of any of our lads getting points, but we have been told that every pack must be strapped down, even unstacked packs and as you probably know the majority of our vehicles have hard sides. It’s a pain the rear to be honest!
But then were paid by the hour :grimacing:

dont forget the dunnage tween the packs
just strapping them only stops outward movement
youwouldnt want them packssliding tooooo close

A1flyer:
I’m a Marshalls driver and I ain’t heard of any of our lads getting points, but we have been told that every pack must be strapped down, even unstacked packs and as you probably know the majority of our vehicles have hard sides. It’s a pain the rear to be honest!

Will have to let our powers that be know as we have a dropside trailer based on Marshalls trailers for bulk agg bag deliveries. Not sure what current policy is but I know they ratchet and net bags above the dropsides.

NathanB:

A1flyer:

Will have to let our powers that be know as we have a dropside trailer based on Marshalls trailers for bulk agg bag deliveries. Not sure what current policy is but I know they ratchet and net bags above the dropsides.

We have been told that the drop sides are not load bearing and are purely advertising hoardings :unamused: so everything, even if below the sides, must be strapped.

Any loads going to Germany need to be strapped down (by whatever weight the strap can hold) . It’s another joke of a money making scam isn’t it. Another reason that people won’t want to do this job we do. The fact of the matter (and I WOULD argue the toss in court) is that if you have left the place of loading, been pulled over and the load was still there, then it must be secure. Only if the load HAS shifted must it be insecure must it not ■■? It seems that there are people intent on grabbin money from anywhere. This is just another ‘haulier or driver’ induced charge. Fair enough if it’s a load of chipboard or something, but how can you charge people for not strapping pallets down on an overall basis ? You can’t. Some curtains have strong wires woven into them, some curtains in ASDA trailers are woven WITH straps down them, they are awkward to open after 6 months of use but they are there. Other trailers have double thickness curtains. Yet another ridiculous rule (whether it’s UK VOSA or EU led). It’s people trying to justify their jobs whilst other people are put out of them for no reason.

Kerbdog:
Any loads going to Germany need to be strapped down (by whatever weight the strap can hold) . It’s another joke of a money making scam isn’t it. Another reason that people won’t want to do this job we do. The fact of the matter (and I WOULD argue the toss in court) is that if you have left the place of loading, been pulled over and the load was still there, then it must be secure. Only if the load HAS shifted must it be insecure must it not ■■? It seems that there are people intent on grabbin money from anywhere. This is just another ‘haulier or driver’ induced charge. Fair enough if it’s a load of chipboard or something, but how can you charge people for not strapping pallets down on an overall basis ? You can’t. Some curtains have strong wires woven into them, some curtains in ASDA trailers are woven WITH straps down them, they are awkward to open after 6 months of use but they are there. Other trailers have double thickness curtains. Yet another ridiculous rule (whether it’s UK VOSA or EU led). It’s people trying to justify their jobs whilst other people are put out of them for no reason.

Totally agree. This kind of nonsense has been taken too far and for too long. I once loaded 3 bars of steel in Germany, about 8 meters long each, bundled together and they insisted that I strap it with no less than 32 span sets! Just another example of European cloud cuckoo land syndrome.
No wonder the western world is losing out to the Chinese and such like when all of our economies are burdened by such self inflicted bureaucracy, H&S, regulations, red tape etc etc etc.

Yeah, this sort of petty regulation has destroyed the manufacturing sector in Germany…look at all the closed factories and unemployed people.

If only they were allowed to spread their loads up the Autobahn at random, I’m sure they’d still be the economic powerhouse of Europe instead of the industrial basketcase that over-regulation and an obsession with safety has made them

Oh, hang on…

I posted what I had about the VOSA Load Security campaign here Load security & vosa - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

I have heard a good few stories already and know drivers that have been checked, ‘advised’ and made to secure the load correctly. I haven’t heard on any penalties yet

Has anyone been stopped and checked yet?

The Road Haulage Association needs to get onto VOSA and say if they intend doing this Nationwide then they need to inform companies and drivers correctly or introduce a new law not just wag their fingers after they’ve pulled a vehicle over, typical British do everything arse about face attitude we seem to be bogged down with these days, rumour after rumour without any proper notification, no wonder this countries knackered!

I’m glad we don’t have VOSA to contend with …

Quite OK as long as I’m not near when one day the ‘vertical’ pins give way, thanks to the crane driver trying to get another ton or two on board.
I believe the blue straps are rated at 2500kg SWL, might as well not be there but it looks good.

http://flic.kr/p/bVkgqd
hope this helps sorry about the quality

raymundo:
I’m glad we don’t have VOSA to contend with …

Quite OK as long as I’m not near when one day the ‘vertical’ pins give way, thanks to the crane driver trying to get another ton or two on board.
I believe the blue straps are rated at 2500kg SWL, might as well not be there but it looks good.

It falls off, it floats away, no worries :grimacing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Builders merchants I was at the other day had the manager putting up a VOSA note on the board about ensuring everything was strapped regardless of what it was or what kind of vehicle body it was being carried in/on.

No joke, they then spent an hour and a half searching the yard to find that between 8 standard config merchant lorries (flatbed with boards and a HIAB) and one Curtainsider, there was only two straps to be had.

I just contacted him by text, he wasn’t best pleased :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
I just contacted him by text, he wasn’t best pleased :stuck_out_tongue:

Any bets on how many toilet walls that number will be on soon :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: