Scared of VOSA

no, not me… I tipped 26 pallets of biscuits last night at Grangemouth…
the driver who loaded it had really gone over the top…
every pallet was strapped and even crossed at the back…
the whole load wouldn’t be any more than 3 ton…
every pallet had one box damaged by the strap…

WHY ■■?

I give up… pass me that whisky bottle.

It is up to VOSA (DVSA) to decide what is an unsecured load. If you have a curtainsider it is no longer acceptable to have any kind of unsecured load inside.

This is another subject we could debate for at least 12 pages! :smiley: . But as far as I can make out the issue is not lack of straps, rather lack of common sense. A full load of crisps isn’t going to go anywhere (even if the truck overturns) whereas two 12 tonne ingots need securing to within an inch of their lives.

The way I see it (although DVSA may disagree) is that a load only becomes insecure once it’s either moved or fallen off. Where we as drivers come in is to ensure the load never reaches that stage in the first place.

If drivers drove to not only the LOAD, but also the ROAD I reckon 99% of shed loads would never happen.

And the end result was - - - - The load arrived to its destination still onboard - not shifted and albeit 99.9999 % intact.
No sanctions to prior driver or yourself or the Transport Co. even with your whining.
On this occasion, all Green and no red flags.
Move on and get with the program , or fail to and possibly face recompense later.
I have NO empathy for people who fail to secure a load of any description, and none for those who fail to drive to road conditions /limitations of any variety and ability. jmo.

If I’m not mistaken then VOSA say that internal straps are ok to secure anything upto 400kg, anything over 400kg must be secured by other means i.e ratchet straps or chains. Even the good old rope must comply with some sort of regulations these days :unamused:

Get the company to buy trailers with load bearing curtains,that should help with all these lighter loads at least. Cheers Darren

Trukkertone:

WHY ■■?

Suggest the customer is advised that loads have to be strapped and that more appropriate packaging be used to prevent damage to the goods. Seems a simple enough solution to me and I strap every load, then I don’t get fined.

the maoster:
If drivers drove to not only the LOAD, but also the ROAD I reckon 99% of shed loads would never happen.

+1…at last, someone speaks common sense.

They don’t drive to suit load/road/conditions because they don’t have to ‘feel’ the vehicle to control it any more, exactly the same with cars, many of which would be in the ditch at the first sign of rain if it wasn’t for the electronics keeping it all together.

The first lorry I drove was a Bedford TK Pantechnicon and you knew how it was loaded by the way it rolled. We used to use the A75 and a lot of the bends were cambered for speed but hairy for us.

Juddian:

the maoster:

They don’t drive to suit load/road/conditions because they don’t have to ‘feel’ the vehicle to control it any more, exactly the same with cars, many of which would be in the ditch at the first sign of rain if it wasn’t for the electronics keeping it all together.

Learning to drive and pass your test with an empty vehicle is a pointless exercise, if it were loaded at least you would get some experience of how very different they are.

Trukkertone:

WHY ■■?

I feel your pain brother.

Juddian:

the maoster:

speaking of electronics (although slightly offtopic, sorry) my new van i picked up this month is the first ever vehicle i’ve had with traction control. christ its annoying. get anywhere near the limit of grip (for instance up hill over a manhole cover) and it cuts in putting lights up all over the dash and killing all power. twice now its nearly bought me to a halt when i could easily have kept going without it…

guess my point is electronics are the spawn of the devil and if you cant drive without them you shouldnt be on the road…

trux:
I have NO empathy for people who fail to secure a load of any description, and none for those who fail to drive to road conditions /limitations of any variety and ability. jmo.

Take the first sentence out of your sermon & you’re golden. Securing a load if it doesn’t need securing is retarded.

Trukkertone:

WHY ■■?

Although I feel your pain, I can’t help but wonder why you have only just realised- hasn’t the DVSA’s clampdown been going on for the past 12 months, think they have an FB page about their latest hair brained cash generating schemes but its always full of abuse and heavily trolled :wink:

I try and put the tension on so it doesn’t damage the load but doesn’t always work, I’ve even got into the bad habit of not securing the front 2 pallets as the DVSA special cuontstabulary can’t see that far anyway.

That said I spent 30 minutes securing a load of loo rolls once then closed the curtains to be greated with the ‘XL’ sticker.

waddy640:

Juddian:

the maoster:

Learning to drive and pass your test with an empty vehicle is a pointless exercise, if it were loaded at least you would get some experience of how very different they are.

True but on simpler especially SWB artics on steel springs (and quite possibly no drive axle dampers), when empty on your first wet road if you didn’t have any feeling or respect for the vehicle you were driving you damned soon learned it or within 2 days you’d spin it out/fold it up, usually you had a few scary moments at frighteningly low speeds and learned quickly, similarly you felt and learned fast about loading for grip and stability…its all a bit too clinical and one size fits all now, and the skills/finesse are being lost, maybe forever.

Silver_Surfer:

trux:

Take the first sentence out of your sermon & you’re golden. Securing a load if it doesn’t need securing is retarded.

If the powers that be insist upon it being strapped then it is strapped, getting fined or disciplined is retarded. Plus if you’re hourly paid then what’s the problem.

I see DVSA in the same vein as speed cameras. Has much less to do with road safety and far more to do with cash generation.

Having your own viewpoint on load restraint is all well and good, but if you leave your wallet open for DVSA - guess what?

Lash it down… better than giving your wages to some git with a clipboard.

Silver_Surfer:

trux:

It wasnt a sermon , its my own opinion,
last i looked- it`s a free country to have your own views , whether others view the same is their choice.
Suggest you check dictionary for meanings of : empathy & retarded. :grimacing:

Pot kettle

You don’t have to go cordon blu to improve over fast food.

:unamused: :arrow_right: :grimacing:

Trukkertone:

WHY ■■?

Amen to that

Some folk out there would dance around with a banana stuck up their jacksie if VOSA told them to.

Most palletised loads, bound for a supermarket, that come off a factory production line on a Chep pallet need no strapping or load security to speak of unless double stacked.

All the load security scaremongering does is damage products and put drivers at unecessary risk standing in yards pointlessly flinging ratchet straps around. This current ‘justifying our existence/cash cow’ campaign seems to be inspired by our continental cousins but I’ve seen little evidence to suggest curtainsider load security is a real issue at all.

Yes the early generation of artics did not have the all singing all dancing braking and electronics systems you have now and on a wet road if you did not drive them with a bit of caution you were liable to find it folding up. Added to that for a period there was the stupid idea of making the front axle and trailer brakes come on seconds before the drive axle!!! a recipe for disaster if ever there was one thankfully that did not last long, Eddie.