What truck should I buy

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice. I have the choice between 2 truck that are perfect for my need. They are both Wagon and Drag draw Bar out fits with demount boxes.

One is a 2002 Volvo FH12 380 globetrotter, this truck is literally like new. Even the chassis has been primed and repainted.

The other one is a 2006 Daf 380. Space cab. Seems like a half decent truck but could do with a freshen up.

Both are similar money, about £15K. Both have only ever done furniture work and thats what I will use it for.

Question is, which would be the better truck, I would be looking to run the truck for another 3-4 years at least.

On another note, have you any idea what sort of MPG I can expect to get from either of these running with a fairly low pay load?

Many thanks

Pinakle:
Hi All,

I am looking for some advice. I have the choice between 2 truck that are perfect for my need. They are both Wagon and Drag draw Bar out fits with demount boxes.

One is a 2002 Volvo FH12 380 globetrotter, this truck is literally like new. Even the chassis has been primed and repainted.

The other one is a 2006 Daf 380. Space cab. Seems like a half decent truck but could do with a freshen up.

Both are similar money, about £15K. Both have only ever done furniture work and thats what I will use it for.

Question is, which would be the better truck, I would be looking to run the truck for another 3-4 years at least.

On another note, have you any idea what sort of MPG I can expect to get from either of these running with a fairly low pay load?

Many thanks

The Volvo has been repainted, Why? The DAF is sold as is. The DAF will be 10 or 11 years old when you sell it, the Volvo 14 or 15. You can paint the DAF now in the colour you want. I would go for the newer vehicle and possibly consider chipping either of them.

Both models are a very old design so the next customer will be a heritage man or export I would think.

As Wheel Nut said go for the newer one :wink:

The Volvo will probably have been repainted as it was looking a bit scabby :wink:

I’m with Denis and Malc - go for the newer vehicle unless there is obviously something wrong with it. A freshly painted chassis isn’t going to earn you any more money than a rusty one and in theory the newer vehicle should be more reliable.

Paul

repton:
I’m with Denis and Malc - go for the newer vehicle unless there is obviously something wrong with it. A freshly painted chassis isn’t going to earn you any more money than a rusty one and in theory the newer vehicle should be more reliable.

Paul

No, go for the Volvo. I’d take an older Volvo over a younger DAF anyday. We run a MK1 FH 420 rigid and it has been and still remains solid and reliable. It goes all over Europe still and I honestly can’t recall any expenditure on it. Goes like stink and does around 15.5 mpg running at an average of about 14-15 tons.

Hope this helps :grimacing:

before you do have a look at the online truck trader i saw a tidy xf wagon and drag for sale , just put daf xf in the search

Many thanks for your comments. It give me something to work with.

Have you any idea what MPG i could expect from either of these trucks, running a fairly low pay load?

Wheel Nut:

Pinakle:
Hi All,

Many thanks

The Volvo has been repainted, Why? The DAF is sold as is. The DAF will be 10 or 11 years old when you sell it, the Volvo 14 or 15. You can paint the DAF now in the colour you want. I would go for the newer vehicle and possibly consider chipping either of them.

Both models are a very old design so the next customer will be a heritage man or export I would think.

Thanks for your message. Whay should i chip them? How mucha would it cost to paint a truck like this?

Pinakle:
Thanks for your message. Whay should i chip them? How mucha would it cost to paint a truck like this?

I wouldn’t chip them as you’re going to be running with a light payload !

my guess on painting would be a couple of grand ! if they’re a plain colour now you could probably make them look good with some vinyl for a lot less , I was talking to a friend who drives for a big company in Devon, their wagons used to cost them £3000 to get them in their colours ( when new) the latest ones have been done in vinyl to a different design for £300 !!

Cheers,
Tell me one more thing, what sort of MPG could I expect from a truck like this? Some have said they are getting 15MPG, that would be great but it seems very high?

Denis F:

Pinakle:

I wouldn’t chip them as you’re going to be running with a light payload !

my guess on painting would be a couple of grand ! if they’re a plain colour now you could probably make them look good with some vinyl for a lot less , I was talking to a friend who drives for a big company in Devon, their wagons used to cost them £3000 to get them in their colours ( when new) the latest ones have been done in vinyl to a different design for £300 !!

MPG figures involve far too many variables to be able to predict with any accuracy.

Traffic conditions, weather, time of year, weight, aerodynamics of the body, tyres, mechanical condition of the truck, terrain and the skill of the driver are just some of the things that have massive impact on the potential MPG figures you could achieve.

Gogan:
MPG figures involve far too many variables to be able to predict with any accuracy.

Traffic conditions, weather, time of year, weight, aerodynamics of the body, tyres, mechanical condition of the truck, terrain and the skill of the driver are just some of the things that have massive impact on the potential MPG figures you could achieve.

true, but 15mpg takes a bit of believing :wink:

Denis F:
true, but 15mpg takes a bit of believing

Agreed, but no matter what figure you pull out of the air it’s never going to be anything other than a guess. Mind you, we had a MAN 480 a couple of years back that would do 14mpg all day long when empty. :stuck_out_tongue:

It was a total lemon on every other front though, spent more time over the pit than on the road, and I’m not exaggerating!

Gogan:

:unamused: Or in other words do what i do plod along at 52mph even carrying 27t i get 8mpg , just dont set your mpg targets too high then if you do hit the 9mpg mark you will have a touch of self satisfaction

What if you are on a run where you never hit 52mph? What’s your strategy for maximising your fuel efficiency now? There is much more to fuel efficient driving than speed. :unamused:

Very helpful sound advice. Basically buy the truck, give it to a driver, do some runs and work out how much fuel I have used and how many mile i have done after a month = my trucks MPG.

I am hoping for around 9 though and possibly a bit more. The truck has a very high box, nothing special in terms of aerodynamics and will not gross over 20T so we will live in hope.

Any body know what to look out for on a 06 CF? whats the usual bits that give trouble?

Gogan:

we run 440 mercs on furniture and on a long run we get between 10-14 over an average the fleet is doing 9-10 as an overall average which involves very similar work to what you’ll be doing if its beds out of Barnoldswick you doing id look for other work furniture work is very hard wth alot of town work to me you need to do much more research before starting this venture a the rates are like any other sector very low would you be using a second man this needs to be factored in to the running costs of the truck to you should be fine running at a train weight of 28t

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Yeah, it will be lots of multi drop. We are drawing our own goods though. I dont know if that makes it better or worse. Time will tell. Are the Merc T/U or rigids? I presume their artics, if so, how do you manage to run artics on muti drop work in and out of towns?

alix776:
we run 440 mercs on furniture and on a long run we get between 10-14 over an average the fleet is doing 9-10 as an overall average which involves very similar work to what you’ll be doing if its beds out of Barnoldswick you doing id look for other work furniture work is very hard wth alot of town work to me you need to do much more research before starting this venture a the rates are like any other sector very low would you be using a second man this needs to be factored in to the running costs of the truck to you should be fine running at a train weight of 28t

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Pinakle:
Are the Merc T/U or rigids? I presume their artics, if so, how do you manage to run artics on muti drop work in and out of towns?

Not sure how relevant this is, my experience of both rigid+drag and artic car transporters is that in the real world there is very little difference in their ease of use in towns etc. Neither is really ideal but both can be used just as effectively.

These trucks are demounts with draw bar. My plan is to leave the trailer at a central location. Deliver the goods on the first box with the rigid, then go back to the trailer, swop the boxes and deliver the load on the second box. In theory we should only have the draw bar attached on the long leg of the journey, ie motorways.

Well thats the plan anyway, but like most plans they all fall apart in practice. If any of you experienced people know any better or can advise me in any way I would be extremly greatful

Gogan:

Pinakle:
Are the Merc T/U or rigids? I presume their artics, if so, how do you manage to run artics on muti drop work in and out of towns?

Not sure how relevant this is, my experience of both rigid+drag and artic car transporters is that in the real world there is very little difference in their ease of use in towns etc. Neither is really ideal but both can be used just as effectively.