Old Clearance Houses

Lawrence Dunbar:

If this is the same Baxter as I think it is he was a WW2 fighter pilot and my mentor Ray Holden was a flight engineer in Bomber command, so whenever Ray had a lorry in the North East Baxter (John was his name I think) would always find a back load for it.

gingerfold:

Lawrence Dunbar:

If this is the same Baxter as I think it is he was a WW2 fighter pilot and my mentor Ray Holden was a flight engineer in Bomber command, so whenever Ray had a lorry in the North East Baxter (John was his name I think) would always find a back load for it.

Yes John Baxter was a fighter pilot,He was one of the best gaffers I worked for a true gent, sadly he died over 20yrs. ago. his family are still going. Regards Larry

I spotted 3 old copies of Headlight on ebay the other day. I bid for them just to post up the return load pages, but I was outbid. They would probably make interesting reading today.

Wheel Nut:
I spotted 3 old copies of Headlight on ebay the other day. I bid for them just to post up the return load pages, but I was outbid. They would probably make interesting reading today.

Ive got some old ones , but my good lady will have stored them somewhere in the house, I will have a good search & see if I can find them, I can remember them costing a shilling 50/60s, I allways got one, a great magazine in its day. I think the last one I got was £1.70. in 1999/2000. I was shame it went out of circulation I enjoyed reading it Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Wheel Nut:

Ive got some old ones , but my good lady will have stored them somewhere in the house, I will have a good search & see if I can find them, I can remember them costing a shilling 50/60s, I allways got one, a great magazine in its day. I think the last one I got was £1.70. in 1999/2000. I was shame it went out of circulation I enjoyed reading it Regards Larry.

I think the ones I bid on were 1962, 1970 and maybe 1980. One had a D series Ford on the cover which launched about 1966 D reg didnt it? :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Wheel Nut:
I spotted 3 old copies of Headlight on ebay the other day. I bid for them just to post up the return load pages, but I was outbid. They would probably make

interesting reading today.

Ive found one January 1959. 8d in the old money, its got wrote on the front cover , best wishes for1959.There will be some more somewhere ill still keep looking, Regards Larry.

WT Shipping springs to mind, based the City of London. Without looking in an AtoZ I think it was a street called Crutched Friars and the bloke I used to speak to, John, sounded like a woman. I was never unlucky enough to have to go to the office to collect my paperwork but one or two of the other boys did and said it was a real pain parking an artic in the narrow city street.
East Anglian Carriers is another name that springs to mind in London and, like WT, they would have you doing multiple collections from private wharves around the Eastend, mainly canned fruit if I remember correctly and always handballed on and off. It was all in a days work then ( late '60s early '70s ) and you just got on with it. At least when you eventually got loaded and parked up at Aldegate on the " Cabbage Patch " where we normally met up there was a good selection of cafes and pubs. Regards to all, Haddy, Gt. Yarmouth.

Some more old ones, Barleycorn Enterprises Ltd Tudor Lane Cardiff, . Cyprien Fox Ltd, Newport, probabley long gone by now.

In Liverpool there was Arthur Woods. They would often load you out of Peerless with ( I think ) cooking oil.

R.D.B. Freightlines Sheffield were good but you could have 10 drops,all over the north east.Regards Larry

Dial all roads Transport Greenwich London

I used to work with Arthur and Syd from Wellborn’s and Gordon Mitchell at R Watson Transport, they always paid decent money but they also knew how to make a tidy profit on a job. Arthur is living in Spain now, Syd is working for Transped at Blyth but i have not heard anything of Gordon for a long time. What about an old clearing house that is still going strong, Jopling and Turnbull.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Aye J.T, Been on the go a long time now, we did a couple jobs for them in the 80s. Arthur Morrel & Syd were to canny blokes, & so was old Reggie, he used to park his car in Baxters Garage on the quay in the 50/60s.Also Les Bolam remember him Cargotransporters, another nice bloke. Gordon Mitchell, the last I heard he was ailing a bit, apparentley he has a stack of old photos, of wagons, It would be nice to see him again , Also Syd I might bump into him one of these days, maybe when shopping in the supermarkets, thats where I meet a lot of drivers & friends from the past, Happy Days Larry

This was one of Wellborns loads, from Matador Paper at Felling I was our Nigels first high load he had to sheet & rope, not bad for a new starter. The photo was taken Nr. Blackpool Airport, Regards Larry

A Wellborn load from Fields at Killingworth for delivery to West Thurrock, it was a one off job, whoever took the first load got it wet, so this was a load & go job. Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:
Aye J.T, Been on the go a long time now, we did a couple jobs for them in the 80s. Arthur Morrel & Syd were to canny blokes, & so was old Reggie, he used to park his car in Baxters Garage on the quay in the 50/60s.Also Les Bolam remember him Cargotransporters, another nice bloke. Gordon Mitchell, the last I heard he was ailing a bit, apparentley he has a stack of old photos, of wagons, It would be nice to see him again , Also Syd I might bump into him one of these days, maybe when shopping in the supermarkets, thats where I meet a lot of drivers & friends from the past, Happy Days Larry

Larry, I think Bumper has been posting some of Gordon Mitchell’s photo’s. I hope my memory is not playing up.
regards Kev.

Any one remember Jack Cotton Transport Brierley Hill, I quite often loaded reconditioned telephones, the old black heavey ones, they were for Sighthill Edinburgh, tipped & loaded old ones back down, It was a decent job in the 60s. my gaffer said he was a prompt payer. I also used to load off Federated, the load was allways for Parsons at Benton, thats where Ramage is now, Happy Days Eh… Larry

Stenreg Traffic Services Walsall allways good for loads of steel to Teesport. Also Penn Transport Services Bloxwich, allways a few drops, but good rates . Regards Larry