Nights out without a sleeper cab

do the company in question have to get you a hotel room if there is no bed in the truck to sleep in?

Yep.

They have to supply something as it’s illegal to sleep in a vehicle without the proper facility to do so.

I.e. a bunk.

ok cool, just needed to know that incase i turn upt o this place tomorrow and the truck aint got a bed as they were saying something to me about hotel rooms in the email they sent me.

As far as I’m aware there’s no obligation on the company to book you into a hotel, they pay you night out money and it’s up to you to sort out digs, well that’s the way it used to work anyway :wink:

Yeah, sorry.

I should have said that they can’t expect you to night out in a day cab.

I have PM’d ROG for a definitive answer but you may get a reply too late.

yea thats what i was meaning about a day cab, its only a 7.5 ton so i dont think it will have a bed.

if rog replys during the night leave a reply in here il be checking in the morning before i head to work.

Not only can they not expect you to night out in a day cab but it’s also illegal.

Legally you can only have your daily rest in a cab if it’s fitted with a bunk and the vehicle is stationary.

Legally no bunk = digs, weather the company arrange them or leave it to you is a question that only the company concerned can answer :wink:

Ha Ha. When I was in the army I did a regular run from Belfast over to the mainland in a civilian pattern vehicle, usually a daf cf unit and curtainsider.

One week the tractor wasn’t available so they gave me a Merc rigid curtainsider with a day cab… and a folding bed!! With the instructions; “tip the gear off, and put your foot down try to make it back to the port, if you don’t make it for the first boat, park up and sleep in the back, don’t forget your sleeping bag.”

I stand to be corrected, but if they are giving you “night out money” it is to pay for digs/hotel. Therefore it does not matter what truck you are driving.

If not, I’m not sure, but I’m not aware of any actual law that says you have to have a sleeper cab.

hotel as last resort
Travelodges are handy and good price if theres 2 of you
but their soulless
try to find a B&B

before you leave yard try to work out where you’ll end up
then web search for some places

trouble is breakfast will be served after you leave :frowning:
just have to plan it

find out how much they will allow you
do you have relatives nr night out location

I don’t know if the law/regs has changed since 2000 but at that time the company had to pay for a B&B travel lodge etc.
They did not have to pay the night out money on top of that - only the amount for evening meal + B&B as that is what was deemed as reasonable if the driver was caught out in a day cab.

This was investigated in 2000 by the company I worked for and the Union so I assume that this info is correct - or was in 2000.

Thanks Rog, appreciate the time to reply.

Dont do 15 hours and then decide to llok for somewhere make sure you have plenty driving and shift time too look for somewhere.

The law says a vehicle must be fitted with a suitable bunk for a night out theres nothing that says you cant spent the night in a day cab providing it has a bunk fitted.

IIRC,
there was an EU mandate/reg on nights out, circa 2004/5…

basically if a company expected you to do nights out, “they” (the company) had the obligation to supply you with kit fit for purpose…

however, as already suggested, if you get night out money, then effectively, thats “your bed money” for the night…

problems arise for some drivers when they either dont plan ahead or are held up in the middle of nowhere due to weather/accidents.

also, if you have a cab without a working night heater, VOR it !!
my point would be, if the manager can sleep warm an cosy in bed, then so should i !!

jammymutt:
Dont do 15 hours and then decide to llok for somewhere make sure you have plenty driving and shift time too look for somewhere.

The law says a vehicle must be fitted with a suitable bunk for a night out theres nothing that says you cant spent the night in a day cab providing it has a bunk fitted.

I would imagine that there are laws to cover being kept reasonably warm as well which would mean a heater wil be needed.

AFAIK there is nothing written in any legislation about night heaters they are auxiliary equipment and like exhaust brakes are not compulsory.

jammymutt:
AFAIK there is nothing written in any legislation about night heaters they are auxiliary equipment and like exhaust brakes are not compulsory.

I think there is likely to be something about a human right to be warm though

Rog we are truck drivers when did we start getting human rights?.

gardun:
I stand to be corrected, but if they are giving you “night out money” it is to pay for digs/hotel. Therefore it does not matter what truck you are driving.

If not, I’m not sure, but I’m not aware of any actual law that says you have to have a sleeper cab.

Night out money is allowed by the Inland Revenue to defray the extra costs of being away from home- eating meals at cafe prices when you could make the same meal at home for a quarter of the cost, buying drinks, telephone calls etc but it is not intended to cover the cost of accommodation.

It would be illegal to take an overnight break in a vehicle not fitted with a bed or bunk.

I stand corrected 'arry :slight_smile: