Tacho question

Ok so here goes.

I drive for 2 hours after leaving my yard.

I pick up another driver who then drives 2 and a half hours however we are held up in traffic twice.

My card is in slot 2 of the tacho and when we stop to change it shows 3 hours of POA.

I then do this Monday to Friday

My shift time each day is 14 hours

Do I get an infringement because I don’t get 11 hours off or does my 3 hours POA count towards having a split rest as in 3 hours and 9 hours.

FYI…I’m now down to 9 shunts [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

18_shunts_later:
Ok so here goes.

I pick up another driver who then drives 2 and a half hours however we are held up in traffic twice.

My card is in slot 2 of the tacho and when we stop to change it shows 3 hours of POA.

Do I get an infringement because I don’t get 11 hours off or does my 3 hours POA count towards having a split rest as in 3 hours and 9 hours.

You’re single manned for the first 2 hours so you cannot take advantage of the daily rest requirements for a multi-manned journey.

You cannot legally do 14 hour shifts 5 times between weekly rest periods, POA cannot be counted as rest.

If you get pulled into a roadside check on Friday there’s a chance you will get parked up for 11 hours and fined, if you get pulled in the next 28 days you’re likely to get fined, your employer is also likely to feel the wroth of the DVSA.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

tachograph:

18_shunts_later:
Ok so here goes.

You’re single manned for the first 2 hours so you cannot take advantage of the daily rest requirements for a multi-manned journey.

You cannot legally do 14 hour shifts 5 times between weekly rest periods, POA cannot be counted as rest.

If you get pulled into a roadside check on Friday there’s a chance you will get parked up for 11 hours and fined, if you get pulled in the next 28 days you’re likely to get fined, your employer is also likely to feel the wroth of the DVSA.

But a split break is nothing to do with multi Manning. Any 3 HR break qualifies you for a split break, 9 hrs would not be a reduced rest. Question is, does POA still qualify as 3 HR break?

Love your username [emoji1787] wish I’d put some effort in myself.

Edit, ok I think tachograph says POA is not good enough…oops!

stu675:
But a split break is nothing to do with multi Manning. Any 3 HR break qualifies you for a split break, 9 hrs would not be a reduced rest. Question is, does POA still qualify as 3 HR break?

The op isn’t asking about a split break he’s asking about a split daily rest period, POA cannot be counted as rest and in any case you can’t have a daily rest period in a moving vehicle.

The point I was making about multi-manning was that you can do 14 hour shifts (well 30 hour shifts in fact) when multi-manning but because he did 2 hours before picking up the second driver it doesn’t apply.

I know I don’t come under the multi man rules and classed as single man

I was under the impression that if there was 2 men in the cab and my card was in slot 2 and on poa this would be used as my break. And if I had 3 hours on poa I could have a 9 hour daily rest and this would be instead of an 11 hour daily rest.

If my poa doesn’t count towards having 3 hours off would it be best to leave my card out of the machine all together while the other guy is driving and if it gets to 3 hours then show that period as on bed?

My View is if its not counting for anything then why should I be putting it in slot 2 in the first place?

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

18_shunts_later:
If my poa doesn’t count towards having 3 hours off would it be best to leave my card out of the machine all together while the other guy is driving and if it gets to 3 hours then show that period as on bed?

That would be a major fraud and can get you a massive fine

18_shunts_later:
I know I don’t come under the multi man rules and classed as single man

I was under the impression that if there was 2 men in the cab and my card was in slot 2 and on poa this would be used as my break. And if I had 3 hours on poa I could have a 9 hour daily rest and this would be instead of an 11 hour daily rest.

My View is if its not counting for anything then why should I be putting it in slot 2 in the first place?

When you’re sat in the passenger seat with your card in slot 2 the first 45 minutes of POA will be counted as break, break and rest are 2 completely different activities, like POA break never counts towards your daily rest period.

You say that POA isn’t counting as anything but it is, POA is counted as a period when you cannot freely dispose of you time so cannot be on a rest period.

If you leave the card out and manually record the travelling time as rest you should be aware of the potential consequences if you get caught.
Having 5 consecutive reduced daily rest periods will get you an infringements notice and potentially get you fined if you get stopped by the DVSA, on the other hand getting caught falsifying your driver records in the way you describe will almost certainly mean you getting invited to a hearing in front of the TC where you will have to beg to keep your HGV entitlement and will almost certainly get a big fine, in fact a member of this board did leave his card out while driving back to base and if I remember correctly he had to appear in front of the TC and was find £750.

I don’t know who you work for and you certainly should not say on this forum but if it’s a reputable employer they will know that you left your card out whilst retuning to base in the vehicle and they will have their own way of disciplining you.

It’s your choice mate but whatever you decide I would urge you to learn the rules on daily and weekly rest periods and the difference between break POA and daily/weekly rest.

Good luck :wink: