So...when Exactly do I put the Tacho on PoA?

I find the whole PoA thing very confusing, TBH.
It is time when I am not driving, or doing other work? but not a break? huh?
Can anyone clarify it for me?
Thanks

Shandy123:
Thanks

You can choose to use POA when you KNOW how long the delay will be which can be a forkie telling you that you will not be unloaded etc for X amount of time for example or you get to a drop at 0700 and you know that it does not open til 0730

If you get paid for recorded breaks then best advice is to forget POA and use break but remember that the 4.5 max driving time gets reset when 45 mins or 15 + 30 mins gets recorded

You do not lose driving time when it resets as a few seem to think when they start ! - the daily limit remains the same no matter how many times the 4.5 driving time resets

Shandy123:
Thanks

If you don’t get paid for breaks use POA

Otherwise don’t ■■■■■■■ bother cos it’s all sorts of a ■■■■

The digi tacho also thinks that POA is break for some weird reason so will reset the driving time when it should not so be aware of that

OK - That’s a bit clearer, cheers.

The reason that POA clears the 4 1/2 hour drive is that generation 1 digital tachographs were based on Tacho regulation interpretations of the Germans & French. They viewed POA as a break and the Tacho’s reflected this. This is supported further when you consider the first 45 mins of double crewing 2 nd man on POA is classed as a break and of course POA not count toward WTD.

You only use POA when you want a multi page thread on TN telling you that’s not the time to use POA.

Dav1d:
You only use POA when you want a multi page thread on TN telling you that’s not the time to use POA.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Whoop Whoop, the POA subject is back on the agenda :grimacing: :grimacing:

POA is a great tool and is part of the drivers arsenal when deciding what mode he should be using on his or her tacho.

As an example: When you get into work, you are told that you must take a vehicle to a RDC where you will have to wait before getting tipped. You drive to the RDC and as was previously advised, you now have to wait for X amount of time before getting tipped. As you are freely able to dispose of your time, you have the choice of either selecting break or POA. However, as I am sure you will be aware that if you select a break and your time waiting goes over the 45 mins (assuming you have not previously taken a 15 min break) then your driving hours will be reset.

So, the next day you leave your base and go to the same RDC, you are aware there will be waiting time so again, you can choose whether to use POA or break.

In all seriousness though, where POA suits one driver, it may be totally unsitable for another driver. It really depends on the application which you are engaged in.

As you will probably note by the time this topic has reached 5 pages long, POA is very subjective not to mention a touchy subject.

POA works for me and I love it… :grimacing:

Whenever your job seems a bit simple- throw some POA into the mix and mention why you did on TNUK

Life won’t seem simple anymore. ;-p

^^^^
Love it :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Lusk:
As you are freely able to dispose of your time, you have the choice of either selecting break or POA.

Being freely able to dispose of your time has no relevance to being able to choose Break or POA - It only becomes significant where daily or weekly Rest is to be recorded.

ha ha! SOrry, I didn’t realise I was opening up a can of worms - this is like the ‘up and in vs. down and out’ threads on ARRSE forums (don’t ask).
So, basically, If I was paid by the hour, and I though I could get away with it, it would be more advantageous to me (though perhaps not very honest) to put POA in while waiting to be tipped, then set off and take my 45 mins whenever I hit the 4.5hrs driving time?

Shandy123:
So, basically, If I was paid by the hour, and I though I could get away with it, it would be more advantageous to me (though perhaps not very honest) to put POA in while waiting to be tipped, then set off and take my 45 mins whenever I hit the 4.5hrs driving time?

If paid by the hour no matter what is being recorded then I would use break and not bother about POA

Recording break whilst being tipped and not working would not stop me from recording another break later when I needed to - perhaps for a café or a kip

OOH - look what happened to the e in café - is that a site feature?

Shandy123:
ha ha! SOrry, I didn’t realise I was opening up a can of worms - this is like the ‘up and in vs. down and out’ threads on ARRSE forums (don’t ask).

Each and every company is naturally different in the way in which it pays people. Some companies seem to automatically dock 45 mins from your duty time and what you have done in the duty time, as long as you are compliant and get the work done, is of no relevance to them.