Panorama the truth

about smart motorways watch the program and make yer own minds up shocking death stastistics ban em

keepthefaith:
about smart motorways watch the program and make yer own minds up shocking death stastistics ban em

The idea works in principal, but it doesn’t account for the following:

• People breaking down with extreme issues (tyre blowout, engine ceasing etc)
  • Less than average drivers, who may not be paying attention
  • Foreign drivers, whereby no such system exists elsewhere

To make such a system more reliable, you need to enforce education, as it’s counter intuitive from normal driving to use hard shoulders. You also need more frequent emergency areas, by which point, you may as well just add a hard shoulder back in.

Great theory, I’m sure it also reduces congestion, and it’s executed in the correct way. Just it’s always going to cause issues, and I think those issues outweigh the congestion factor, as people are dying. Whether it’s out of ignorance or freak accidents is another matter.

Panorama BBC innit?
Be nothing biased there then :unamused:

Jamie MP:

keepthefaith:

To make such a system more reliable, you need to enforce education, as it’s counter intuitive from normal driving to use hard shoulders. You also need more frequent emergency areas, by which point, you may as well just add a hard shoulder back in.

Great theory, I’m sure it also reduces congestion, and it’s executed in the correct way. Just it’s always going to cause issues, and I think those issues outweigh the congestion factor, as people are dying. Whether it’s out of ignorance or freak accidents is another matter.

They do exist elsewhere see them in Holland and parts of the A86 have them around Paris I believe the idea originated in Holland

Mazzer2:

Jamie MP:

keepthefaith:

They do exist elsewhere see them in Holland and parts of the A86 have them around Paris I believe the idea originated in Holland

Yeh, I thought I hadn’t dreamt it.

robroy:

Mazzer2:

Jamie MP:

keepthefaith:

Yeh, I thought I hadn’t dreamt it.

I was a bit too encompassing with that. I’ll change that to the majority of such drivers.

I mean I’ve also spent a few years of my life driving on our roads, but because I’m from Newcastle, I’ve never had much to do with them. The first few times on the M1 was a bit daunting, and it’s this extra edge that causes incidents.

Juddian:
Panorama BBC innit?
Be nothing biased there then :unamused:

O dear, that’s us poor “massive juggernaut” drivers going to be crucified, picture the secne…

I was broken down on this new fangled smart motorway, and me and Maud were nearly crushed to death by a thundering massive juggernaut,

I can’t wait to miss this program.

Again this subject :unamused:
And has been said the Netherlands had Smart M/way about 20 years ago.
À Road dual carriageways have no hard shoulders, no carnage there. Is it because people driving on these are more aware. It’s the same speed limits.
I drive both sides of the channel and I can’t believe the idiotic way people drive in the UK. We’re not saints in France, there have been lots of accidents involving motorway service vehicles being hit by other vehicles whilst they are attending to a breakdown or even in roadworks and let me tell you our hard shoulders are way smaller than those in the UK.
But my point is, there are too many drivers not paying attention to what is in front of them. I have always and told new drivers too, don’t look at the vehicle in front, look at 3 or 4 vehicles in front, if they start to brake then you do too, don’t wait till its too late.

Going from Leeds to Manchester at 1am and was just approaching Hartshead Services. I came around a blind bend to be met by a stationary Vauxhall Corsa with no lights on in lane one. I couldn’t overtake as there was an artic in lane 2. For the first time the EBS actually saved me and the driver in lane 1.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:
Going from Leeds to Manchester at 1am and was just approaching Hartshead Services. I came around a blind bend to be met by a stationary Vauxhall Corsa with no lights on in lane one. I couldn’t overtake as there was an artic in lane 2. For the first time the EBS actually saved me and the driver in lane 1.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

There are a few sections of the m1 like that. The part that sticks in my mind is between 28 and 30. No streetlights to help you out, stationary vehicles come out of the gloom pretty quick.

As for hard shoulders, weren’t motorways designed to have them as a safety feature? So why do people think removing a safety feature will be safe?

If a safety feature like a hard shoulder can be removed basically on economic grounds surely it would be as economic to remove that safety feature known as the DCPC. Think how much money has been wasted on that :frowning:

A couple of videos found on youtube of smart motorways in action, although I’m sure everyone here has seen both instances on many occasions.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vbl0DvcwhOM&app=desktop

youtube.com/watch?v=nCnfsgKZebA

Mazzer2:

Jamie MP:

keepthefaith:

Yep.
Was driving in Greece on the hard shoulder 20 years ago.

Panorama and truth in the same sentence just does not sound right

One of the problems with so called ‘smart motorways’ is they ain’t smart at all!!! How many times have we seen matrix signs saying this that or the other? They’re nearly more wrong than right so it’s the cry wolf scenario.
“Animals in the road” was the wrong one yesterday on the M1 unless 2 traffic wombles count? [emoji23]

4 lanes in one direction, suddenly someone has a bump, all 4 lanes come to a grinding halt… how do the emergency services now get to the scene… 4 lanes of standing traffic impeding their progress to the scene of the problem.

tc trans:
4 lanes in one direction, suddenly someone has a bump, all 4 lanes come to a grinding halt… how do the emergency services now get to the scene… 4 lanes of standing traffic impeding their progress to the scene of the problem.

They should educate and use a Japan system where one lanes get over to the left and another to the right to create a clear path for emergency vehicles.

But it wont happen. There is no ongoing road education over here. Not even roadside signs as a reminder (they shouldn’t need to be but still…)

Revenue from speeding fines has massively increased on Motorways that have become smart. Maybe thats more important than lives to some?

Trouble is there are too many drivers that don’t give a toss about anyone else. They think they are far more important than any other person on the road and believe that they have the right to be where ever they want to be.

The other day I was on the m25 and there was roadwork signs for a good mile saying the outside lane was going to close. They even put a red cross above the lane at about the 600 yard mark. while we were in stationary traffic 15 cars went through on the outside lane. One fine driver decided he didn’t want the fine cutting into the middle lane at the last possible moment causing traffic behind to slow/stop before pulling back into the outside lane once out of range of the cameras.

My personal feeling is we should stop trying to protect the muppets and the problem will sort itself out.

Just a thought.
Smart motorways have been around a while and are here to stay

So why not make public adverts for tv social media etc.
Educate people about them.what it means etc.
I know it’s not excatly hard.
But for those out there that a bit slow.
A good hard hotong advertising campaign.
Might work.
Saying that when I did my cpc courses was shown some Australian road safety adverts n they were very graphic made you think.
Should do similar here