Smart motorways (again).

dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/a … rways.html

I always said “the smartest thing about these motorways is that they pay for themselves”. Seems like the general public isn’t keen on them either labelling them the second most dangerous driving environment.

People speeding then moaning about getting a speeding ticket…if only there was some solution for the motorists to stop this happening :open_mouth:

xichrisxi:
People speeding then moaning about getting a speeding ticket…if only there was some solution for the motorists to stop this happening :open_mouth:

There is a really simple one…

Remove number plates :laughing:

Hahahahahahahaha makes me laugh.

Can be caught speeding even with no variable limit in place. So let’s engage brain, when there’s no variable limit up what’s the limit for a car?

A/ 90moh
B/ 70mph
C/ 80mph

Just stick to the ■■■■■■■ speed limit and you won’t get a ticket…absolute ■■■■■■■ rocking science isn’t it!

My only complaint about smart motorways is that all the stretches aren’t ‘all lane running’.

The format whereby the hard shoulder is only open at certain times just isn’t idiot proof enough, too many people can’t get their head around it and refuse to cross the solid line into the extra lane when it’s open resulting in loads of undertaking & you often see people driving down the hard shoulder when it isn’t open.

The all lane running sections in contrast are great & I have never felt although they are dangerous, in my experience where broken down vehicles end up in lane 1 the signage does a good job of getting traffic around it. It also forces peoples hand to get the hell away from the car and not try and be heroes changing offside tyres on the hard shoulder etc.

I am actually shocked by the amount of truck drivers (and not just eog’s) that seem oblivious to the big illuminated sign saying USE HARD SHOULDER…
Today on the m6 going south from the m54 there must’ve been 5 trucks that stayed in the second lane overtaking nothing…
[emoji931][emoji773]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The list of “Most dangerous roads ranked by drivers” would have made more sense if it was balanced by a list of “Most dangerous roads ranked by actual statistics.”

72% of all people killed and injured on the road were on built-up roads (those with a 30 limit)
24% -------------------------“-------------------------- were on non-built-up roads.
5% --------------------------”--------------------------- were on motorways.

The reality is a very long way away from the perception.

polytrotter:
I am actually shocked by the amount of truck drivers (and not just eog’s) that seem oblivious to the big illuminated sign saying USE HARD SHOULDER…
Today on the m6 going south from the m54 there must’ve been 5 trucks that stayed in the second lane overtaking nothing…
[emoji931][emoji773]

It’s the same mentality with Bus lanes too!

yes they good and make the trip more easy.but everyones still staying in the 3 lanes and not moving over.so i get on hardshoulder stick it on the limit that shows and pass everyone who sits there 3/5 mph lower and get through it no problem.if its clear i use it thats what its for soon u see others starting to pull over behind u in ur mirrors.

polytrotter:
[emoji931][emoji773]

Yeh it beats me that also. :unamused:
You also see more and more artics centre lane hogging in general, something you never saw once over.
Maybe proves the point that they are just motorists with Class 1s. :unamused:
It was always drummed into me when learning, Keep left at all times except for overtaking and re.join the lane…Oh and NOT by cutting in and invading somebody’s space either.

Part of the problem is the road layout. Take the m62 junction 26 for example. Hard shoulder running as a live lane but turns into the slip road for the junction. This causes tailback for a couple of miles prior to it becoming a slip road. Anyone not aware of this comes to a grinding halt and has to then try and join running traffic from a standing start.
The problems are compounded by boneheads trying to jump the queue in lane 2. They then come to a halt whilst they wait for someone in lane 1/slip road to let them in. 2 lanes of motorway are now at a standstill. Occasionally made worse by people using lane 3 to queue jump and get onto the slip road.

As a regular user of this part of the motorway at peak times, it looks like I’m being a prat by pootling along in lane 3 when in actual fact I’m trying my hardest not to add to congestion.

Captain Caveman 76:
Part of the problem is the road layout. Take the m62 junction 26 for example. Hard shoulder running as a live lane but turns into the slip road for the junction. This causes tailback for a couple of miles prior to it becoming a slip road. Anyone not aware of this comes to a grinding halt and has to then try and join running traffic from a standing start.
The problems are compounded by boneheads trying to jump the queue in lane 2. They then come to a halt whilst they wait for someone in lane 1/slip road to let them in. 2 lanes of motorway are now at a standstill. Occasionally made worse by people using lane 3 to queue jump and get onto the slip road.

As a regular user of this part of the motorway at peak times, it looks like I’m being a prat by pootling along in lane 3 when in actual fact I’m trying my hardest not to add to congestion.

agree etc m42 m5 etc ^^

Also signage is not great when a vehicle is stationary in a live lane or half on a live lane. Not always picked up when it is obvious that they have been stationary for a time.

The highway code also needs to be updated to reflect the rules of ‘smart motorways’

What they need is people in the control room that understand and who aren’t it seems just reading the paper and glancing up, cos we seem to always end up with> 30-60-40-50-natoonal speed limit.
And this causes chaos just because it’s close to “the busy time”
[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

you gotta laugh at these all going on about drivers not having lane discipline etc then they go on about how wonderful it is undertaking other traffic :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

polytrotter:
What they need is people in the control room that understand and who aren’t it seems just reading the paper and glancing up, cos we seem to always end up with> 30-60-40-50-natoonal speed limit.
And this causes chaos just because it’s close to “the busy time”
[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

That reminds me of all the tailgating truckers when i used to stand on the hardshoulder :laughing:
Look up from your laptop and you’ll see the loops in the carriageway if you’re not right up the ■■■ of the truck in front :open_mouth:

Try this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorway_ … Signalling

dozy:
you gotta laugh at these all going on about drivers not having lane discipline etc then they go on about how wonderful it is undertaking other traffic :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Ok, strictly speaking it aint right, and two wrongs don’t make a right.
So what do you do then?
Sit behind all the cretins who either just refuse to use lane 1 for whatever reason :unamused: , and the habitual dead from the neck up lane hoggers, until lanes 1 2 and 3 are all gridlocked, with a lane 1 with no traffic,…
Do tell me doze, which is the better alternative, and especially considering someone like yourself, who regularly tells us you are run ragged to the nearest minute. :bulb:

Any decent driver worth their salt should be fully clued up on overtaking on the nearside.

“Undertaking” is something involving dead bodies which doesn’t always involve necrophilia !

Dork Lard:
Any decent driver worth their salt should be fully clued up on overtaking on the nearside.

“Undertaking” is something involving dead bodies which doesn’t always involve necrophilia !

come on surely undertaking is acceptable when the hard shoulder is running and idiots won’t use it

If you’re in your car, just run on cruise at 50, happy days.

Santa:
The list of “Most dangerous roads ranked by drivers” would have made more sense if it was balanced by a list of “Most dangerous roads ranked by actual statistics.”

72% of all people killed and injured on the road were on built-up roads (those with a 30 limit)
24% -------------------------“-------------------------- were on non-built-up roads.
5% --------------------------”--------------------------- were on motorways.

The reality is a very long way away from the perception.

Exactly Santa but drivers still think it’s ok to speed in 30 limits. In simple English they are dumbos.