Introduction

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would introduce myself. I have been viewing the forum for a few months without registering and have recently decided to register.
I passed my Class 2 in October last year and did a couple of agency placements before getting a placement at the massive supply chain company on the pub food contract. Got took on there permanently, passed probation at the end of May so now full time.
Just wanted to introduce myself as I love reading the various posts on here and the knowledge and experience a lot of you have is interesting to read and learn in the early days of my career. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiya Chris,
I’m sure there will be a few more along shortly to say hi and ask why you decided to join this strange industry of ours but until then I’ll say welcome to trucknet. Congratulations on passing the class 2 and bagging yourself a permanent position too.

Steve.

Congratulations on the job and your first post on TN, hope you make it the first of many :smiley:

Sent from my mobile.

woody2808:
Hiya Chris,
I’m sure there will be a few more along shortly to say hi and ask why you decided to join this strange industry of ours but until then I’ll say welcome to trucknet. Congratulations on passing the class 2 and bagging yourself a permanent position too.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

To be honest I have been in and out of rubbish jobs since I was 18 (I’m now 35) and my grandma gave me a 5 thousand pound cheque instead of leaving it in her will so it could be put to use now, so I decided to put £1700 of it to good use and gain my class 2 licence.
I know what u mean about the industry but to be honest 4 on 4 off on a 33k salary for banked hours average of 42 a week with 20 days holiday on top is light years better than being stuck in a factory etc. Only do an average of 4 pubs a shift (2 minimum and 6 max rarely) so I’m very glad I put some money to good use. Thanks for your welcome and nice to meet you mate [emoji1303]

tachograph:
Congratulations on the job and your first post on TN, hope you make it the first of many :smiley:

Sent from my mobile.

Thanks Tacho [emoji1303]

Well done on passing your Cl2 and getting a job that’s the hardest parts out of the way, especially finding one that suits you, you may be able to give advice to some who are still looking for employment.

Grumpy Dad:
Well done on passing your Cl2 and getting a job that’s the hardest parts out of the way, especially finding one that suits you, you may be able to give advice to some who are still looking for employment.

I’d be happy to mate, I think I got lucky but I try my hardest in everything I do so I think as long as new passes go into the industry with an open mind and a willingness to work hard and have good people skills then they will be fine, as you experienced lot know you have to take the rough with the smooth and to get a job you’re happy with and that suits you takes a bit of compromise sometimes, I get up at 1.45-2am a lot of the time and drive for 40 minutes to get to my workplace and sometimes don’t get home until 5-6pm but I enjoy my job and the people around me so it’s all worth it [emoji1303]

Chris Cooke:

woody2808:
Hiya Chris,

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

To be honest I have been in and out of rubbish jobs since I was 18 (I’m now 35) and my grandma gave me a 5 thousand pound cheque instead of leaving it in her will so it could be put to use now, so I decided to put £1700 of it to good use and gain my class 2 licence.
I know what u mean about the industry but to be honest 4 on 4 off on a 33k salary for banked hours average of 42 a week with 20 days holiday on top is light years better than being stuck in a factory etc. Only do an average of 4 pubs a shift (2 minimum and 6 max rarely) so I’m very glad I put some money to good use. Thanks for your welcome and nice to meet you mate [emoji1303]

Wow what an amazing person your granny is…such generosity, insight, and clearly turned your life around…sounds like you got a smokin job now too, maybe move nearer to make it a easier in the long term…and no doubt spend some of those earnings on taking gran out for nice meals etc

Well done, and a very uplifting story

Hi Chris.

Welcome to the fun factory. Sounds like you’ve been one of the lucky ones finding a job that seems to suit you & your needs. While the jobs looks after you look after the job, there are plenty that seem to chew their drivers up before spitting them out. I loved the 4 on 4 off job I had before the contract ended & was made redundant and it took a while before I found my current job which, I hope, will take me the 4 years till retirement.

Good luck and don’t forget to ask if you want advice, I’m sure you’ve already sussed that already.

rsg1234567:

Chris Cooke:

woody2808:
Hiya Chris,

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

Wow what an amazing person your granny is…such generosity, insight, and clearly turned your life around…sounds like you got a smokin job now too, maybe move nearer to make it a easier in the long term…and no doubt spend some of those earnings on taking gran out for nice meals etc

Well done, and a very uplifting story

Thank you for your kind comments mate! My grandma is an amazing person and I am so grateful to her, my life has indeed been turned around and it is thanks to my grandma, parents and my family/kids.

I don’t need to move closer as we live near our kids schools and family and 40 minutes isn’t the worst commute time to be honest.

Thank you again for your kind words it’s really appreciated and touching [emoji1303]

Well done to you young Chris on passing your class 2 , and maybe the next step is the class 1…great that you found a job you like, even if you take and pass the artic test, no reason why you cant stay where you are, well done to grand ma too for giving you that helping hand up the ladder…many struggle to find the funds so that makes you a lucky guy…Welcome to Trucknet, the No 1 for everything you need to know about road transport, and many other things too as you search the site. btw, spent over 50 years in the industry, been there and done it etc, and loved every single minute, was a pleasure to get up for work in a great industry, albeit have seen many changes…some for the good, some for the bad, but its what YOU make it…hope you enjoy it as much as i did…hung my keys up for good this year…at 73 years young.

truckyboy:
Well done to you young Chris on passing your class 2 , and maybe the next step is the class 1…great that you found a job you like, even if you take and pass the artic test, no reason why you cant stay where you are, well done to grand ma too for giving you that helping hand up the ladder…many struggle to find the funds so that makes you a lucky guy…Welcome to Trucknet, the No 1 for everything you need to know about road transport, and many other things too as you search the site. btw, spent over 50 years in the industry, been there and done it etc, and loved every single minute, was a pleasure to get up for work in a great industry, albeit have seen many changes…some for the good, some for the bad, but its what YOU make it…hope you enjoy it as much as i did…hung my keys up for good this year…at 73 years young.

Thank you mate, such an inspiring comment and i really appreciate it! Made me smile and people like you make the industry proud, really hope you enjoy your retirement as you obviously deserve it! Thank you again and i will make sure I put as much commitment and effort into my career as you have!
The more people like you the better in this world and you have really moved me with your reply, thank you!

Welcome.

Now spend some more money and get a real HGV licence and not a poncey puddle jumper one :wink:

Then get out of the massive supply chain place and find a job that allows you the chance to think and won’t pickle your brain.

Best of luck :slight_smile: