Training Diary

Test day

Oh well here we go…im sure you all have had a sleepless night wondering about how i would get on…so here goes.

Started a bit later today as i was totally knackered yesterday and me and Paul agreed that a later start would benefit me come the test :smiley: , i went home yesterday totally drained, fell asleep on the couch around 7 oclock and was in bed for nine :open_mouth:

Got to the yard and had a quick cuppa, pre drive checks and off we go, i had about an hour and 20 mins to go before ny test so just enough time to get warmed up :smiley: .

Drove round some of the test routes we had covered during the week and went to fuel up, Paul had cleaned the windows inside and out and the mirrors were spotless, ( not that any of them were dirty during my lessons ) but they were crystal clear and just the ticket for the test!!.

Paul gave me some last minute reminders to keep speed down approaching hazards, nice and easy gearchanges etc, and i drove around steady for about half an hour, with only about 30 mins to my test i started to crunch gears and select the wrong ones and generally was getting a bit hasty with it all, Paul sensed this and suggested we pull over for a cuppa, and calm down a bit, this worked well and as i drove up to the test centre i felt slightly better, drove in and backed into a parking bay and went into the waiting area…after having a much needed pee!!

In the waiting room were about 5 or 6 other victims, sorry…candidates!! who were waiting for various tests car, bike, truck etc, the test centre is Atherton Wigan by the way, don’t think i have mentioned it before, nice centre with no vehicles all parked up outside blocking views etc.

The examiners were coming out and the place was emptying out, i was the last one and then the examiner came out, said my name, i put my name in the box and with a final good luck from Paul we were off, the examiner said his name was also John and he gave me a quick rundown of the test, then it was time for the show me/tell me stuff, how do you check coolant level, demonstrate how to check wheel arches and spray suppression, how to check audible devices ( sat in cab now ), how to put main beam on…can’t remember last one!

Time for the reverse, John showed me the ‘map’ and he headed to the start and waved me up, reverse was no problem as i had carried it out 5 times during the week and Paul had give me some good pointers on it, straight into the ‘garage’ job done :smiley:

Paul had also explained to me about the tight left turn out of the test centre and about making sure both lanes are clear before exiting as people have failed here as they have drove over the kerb, so i took this in and did exactly what Paul had said and was out and away.

John seemed pleasant enough and gave me some instructions and i set about with the drive, John chatted with me while we were sat at the lights but didn’t say anything while i was driving apart from giving me instructions, turn left, straight on, pull over, drive off etc.

We drove on one of the routes that Paul had took me on and this helped me a lot, but then i realised i hadn’t got straight into a bus lane that had a 7.30am to 10.00am limit on it ( i wouldn’t mind but i had missed this earlier in the week and Paul had bent my ear about it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: , snuck into it quickly when i thought John wasn’t looking :laughing: and drove in it til it ended, on through a 20 zone, tight built up areas, dual carriageway, single carriageway, then John said it was time for the independant drive, he gave me instructions of where to head for and left it to me, down a dual carriageway, signs for m61 north, round a big roundabout and onto the motorway, off at the next junction and follow Chorley signs, after about 10 mins John said he would now carry on giving instructions.

Turn left at the next turning…now this was a very tight turn, almost back on yourself and up a hill to boot :open_mouth: , now Paul had took me this way yesterday and give me some good pointers so i used them all :sunglasses: , up the hill, pull over, hill start, carry on through tight roads with lots of parked cars, stop at roadworks, right at the lights and carry on, before long i could see we were coming up to the second to last roundabout before the test centre :open_mouth: , now i had driven round this roundabout before, it is a bit of a tight left turn and your vision is a bit xxxx from the right, i had also ballsed this up before!!!, keep calm, slow it down, nice and steady and round we go, down the hill to last roundabout, round that, into the test centre and round the perimeter to park up.

I could see Paul walking over slowely and John said to me, “just give me a minute to fill out this paperwork”■■? and by the way im pleased to tell you that you have passed!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: And only 2 minors too!!! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: I called Paul over so he could hear some details from the examiner, John said to us that it was a good drive and he could do with 4 like that every day!!! Paul said to me later that that was a good comment for the guy to make.

Anyway i would like to thank all you guys and gals out there for giving me some nice comments and encouragement and thanks for all the great advice,

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: and to you Paul ( cos i know you are reading this :wink: ) :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Many many thanks for all the advice, tips, patience and great training, i learnt so much every day and without being pressurised into learning it, the whole training process was totally enjoyable and in a way i will miss my morning lessons but i will defo be doing my c+e with you in June…

As i have said before if anyone wants great training, at an affordable price, one to one and an enjoyable no pressure experience then give Paul a shout…you won’t regret it!!!

paulslgvtraining.co.uk/index.php

ps i have a photo of me by the truck with my pass cert but i cant get it to load, it comes coming up as picture is to large 2.54mb…any ideas anyone?? so you can put a face to the story.

Thanks Alan :sunglasses: